How To Create A Animated Side Image With Live Composite?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
curiosity

How To Create A Animated Side Image With Live Composite?

#1 Post by curiosity »

I'm trying to add a animated side image - but with live composite(blinking eyes plus moving mouth).
I have succeeded with the live composite itself, but when I try to add it in the code :

Code: Select all

define a = Character('Amy',callback=speaker("girl"), color = "FF3ACD",show_two_window=True,ctc="ctc_animation", ctc_position="fixed", image = "girl", window_left_padding=160,show_side_image=Image("girl normal", xalign=0.0, yalign=1.0))  
A error shows up saying that the image was not found. Here is the rest of my code:

image side girl normal = LiveComposite(
    (157, 285),
    (0,0), "amy side image.png",
    (29, 117), "girl eyes normal",
    (58, 151), WhileSpeaking("girl", "girl mouth normal", "amy mouth closed.png"),
    )
image girl normal = LiveComposite(
    (187, 600),
    (0, 0), "amy base.png",
    (45, 164), "girl eyes normal",
    (70, 200), WhileSpeaking("girl", "girl mouth normal", "amy mouth closed.png"),
    )
image girl eyes normal:
    "amy eyes open.png"
    choice:
    choice:
    choice:
    # This randomizes the time between blinking.
    "amy eyes.png"
    repeat
image girl mouth normal:
    "amy mouth open.png"
    "amy mouth open2.png"
    repeat
I first tried to manage the side image just by adding "side" next to LiveComposite, but that didn't work- but it didn't give me any errors all the same, so I just left it. I also did replace

default side_image = None
with

default side_image = "girl"
Can anyone please tell me what mistake I am making? Or any advice or links I could try? I already checked the FAQ Renpy Visual Novel page, but the animation only seems to work if it isn't Live Composite. Thank You :wink:

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: How To Create A Animated Side Image With Live Composite?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

I'm pretty sure I defined my side images simply by doing:

define d = Character('Dougal', color="#ffffff", window_left_padding=500, image="dougal")
And then defining the side image as "image side dougal". The relevant information's here.

The method you are using seems to be outdated or something, but the documentation has the current method.

curiosity

Re: How To Create A Animated Side Image With Live Composite?

#3 Post by curiosity »

Thanks SundownKid :) You helped me twice today already.
I realized my mistake was typing config.side_image_only_not_showing= True ^^'' I guess I got confused.
Because my character was on screen already, it didn't turn up on the side....
Thanks again :P