Kerning and Tracking

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ispheria
Regular
Projects: TruEndings

Kerning and Tracking

#1 Post by Ispheria »

So I'm not too sure if this was already asked but I kind of doubt it because most people will probably have no idea what I'm talking about (I think) but is there any way to change the kerning and tracking of the letters in Ren'py?

For those that don't know, what I'm talking about is sort of like, the space between letters sort of, not too sure how to explain it.

Thanks in advance to anyone that answers.

Tsapas
Regular

Re: Kerning and Tracking

#2 Post by Tsapas »

I'm not too sure about kerning between specific letters inside a text block without tediously using the following tag, but tracking is possible using a kerning tag (as per here).

Code: Select all

"{k=2.0} This will add an extra 2 px between letters in enclosed words{/k}"

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

The easiest way is to modify the kerning using a Style. Putting this in your options:

style.default.kerning = 2
Will make the spacing between the font an extra 2 spaces by default. You can apply that to any text field.

style.mywindow_text.kerning = 2
To do it for individual letters (e.g. titles) you will either have to micromanage or use an inserted image instead.

Ispheria
Regular
Projects: TruEndings

#4 Post by Ispheria »

ok cool, thanks guys