[Solved] Windows && Linux distributions and archives

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Levrex
Veteran

[Solved] Windows && Linux distributions and archives

#1 Post by Levrex »

A question is, could renpy game be ran on linux (also MacOS and Android), if the game content (music, screens and text) is packaged into .rpa archives and then .rar-archived under Windows? I. e., does it matter under which OS the .rpa is created?

The game itself (executable, common, lib, renpy folders), of course, is archived properly via launcher.
Last edited by Levrex on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Windows && Linux distributions and archives

#2 Post by SundownKid »

No it does not. You simply have to select "All" under build options, and it will be compatible with the 3 OS at once.

Levrex
Veteran

Re: Windows && Linux distributions and archives

#3 Post by Levrex »

Huh, nice. Thanks.
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.

i1abnrk
Regular
Projects: Critter Corral, Haremu Kikkemu Mo
IRC Nick: i1abnrk
Deviantart: i1abnrk
Github: i1abnrk

Re: [Solved] Windows && Linux distributions and archives

#4 Post by i1abnrk »

As long as the OS has the codecs installed for the media. Linux doesn't come with mpeg or wav codecs because they are patented. Ogg format codec is free and comes bundled with most Linux. Getting mpeg codec on linux is easy but you have to agree to a software liscense. Basically whatever format the renpy engine unzips the media file from the archive and hands it to the operating system as the original file. The archive files just keep the download smaller and obfuscates (hides) it. So that's why ogg is recommended in renpy because it's free for everyone to use and works on the most computers.

AlfieMachica123
Regular

#5 Post by AlfieMachica123 »

am sorry, but can i ask something?

assuming that i just finished creating the game and also created the distributable (in windows), after extracting the 'tar.bz2' file (in linux) , how do i run the game ? the pc(linux) must have a pygame right ? what file do i execute ? is it the '.sh' file ? i mean if '.exe' is what you use to run the game in windows, how do i do it in linux?

korova
Veteran
Completed: Ivy, Chocolate, Time, Clair Obscur
Projects: Writing exercises, The House [Nano18]
Tumblr: korova08
itch: korova

#6 Post by korova »

my answer to your question here

Is it really necessary to ask the same question at two diffrent places ?