Setting Layout Types

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Crazy Li
Regular

Setting Layout Types

#1 Post by Crazy Li »

Ok this is probably a really dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I was looking at http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/reference/Layouts and noticing the different layout styles that are available... but I don't really understand where/how to change the default layout for the game. For example, I like the one under "Function: layout.one_column_preferences ():" but where would I go to make it so that's my preferences menu rather than classic? The only information on that page seems to be stuff about setting the options for that style of menu or invoking it with code, but not just making it the one the game uses innately. I don't really want to re-invent the wheel here or make my own custom layout (yet), I just want to switch to a different preexisting one.

Crazy Li
Regular

Re: Setting Layout Types

#2 Post by Crazy Li »

Okay, I actually managed to figure out that "layout.one_column_preferences()" only works if you go into screens and get rid of the Preferences window in there. Otherwise, it just uses that regardless of what you set elsewhere.

That problem is solved, but another arises. When I do this, the one_column_preference version seems to ignore any settings defined under screen navigation: and instead uses the default navigation which now looks weird because it's different than the way it is on every other menu. Anyway advise on using one_column_preferences while still getting it to use my navigation settings?

I also noticed that in the example image for this layout, it has options for 16:9 or 4:3 for your full screen, but when I call it, I only see one "Fullscreen" and it's 4:3... any reason for this?