Customizing how the Text box and Menu's look

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
neosae

Customizing how the Text box and Menu's look

#1 Post by neosae »

Im new to Ren-py, but Ive run into a problem. :O

I want to know what kind of code I need to customize how my text box and menu's look.

I saw a thread that stated a vague way on how to do this, but I fail to understand. Can someone please explain?

Re: Customizing how the Text box and Menu's look

#2 Post by Guest »

The best way to do this is to examine the default image textbox (take a screenshot of it maybe), then make your own image textbox and call it "frame.png". Then in the options.rpy of your game, uncomment the line that declares your textbox to be frame.png.

Menus will follow the style of the theme of the game, which is usually centered roundrect or else within the textbox. If you want more custom menus, you'll have to make imagemaps.

#3 Post by Guest »

I am also having trouble with this. Currently I can't find the code to change the Ren'Py text in the menu into an image. Any help? Also, how do I place the "glow" function when the cursor is placed above it? Thanks.

Criptych
Regular
Projects: ALICE.NET

#4 Post by Criptych »

Guest wrote:I can't find the code to change the Ren'Py text in the menu into an image.
Check out the "From Scratch" section on this page.
Guest wrote:Also, how do I place the "glow" function when the cursor is placed above it?
The Ren'Py Reference Manual / UI Functions
Function: ui.imagebutton(idle_image, hover_image, clicked=None, image_style='image_button_image', **properties)

This creates a button that contains two images. The first is the idle image, which is used when the mouse is not over the image, while the second is the hover image, which is used when the mouse is over the image.
Or you could try using an imagemap. I'm not sure about the details, though.
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. —Pablo Picasso