Watermarks when taking a screenshot?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
FamuFamu
Regular

Watermarks when taking a screenshot?

#1 Post by FamuFamu »

It's pretty self-explanatory, I think.

Is there a way to use a .png that serves as a watermark that only appears when the player takes a screenshot? If so, how can I add it?

Thanks in advance.

AxemRed
Veteran

Re: Watermarks when taking a screenshot?

#2 Post by AxemRed »

Why would a player want a watermark on the screenshot?

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#3 Post by ShippoK »

AxemRed wrote:Why would a player want a watermark on the screenshot?
This.
This is unnecessary too have.
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

You'd probably just end up ticking off any press/media outlets/people who want to cover your game, so it will likely do more harm than good.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#5 Post by Asceai »

I suppose one way could be to reimplement the screenshot key and draw something quickly, save the screenshot and turn it off after. Dunno if that would work but it sounds positive. Of course, people could just take a screenshot some other way (e.g. alt+printscrn) and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

There is a commercial eroge 'Natsumero' that almost manages this. What it seems to do is intercept and block printscrn while it is in focus and it shows a watermark whenever the window isn't in focus. Hugely annoying to screenshot without the watermark appearing- what I ended up doing was using paint shop pro's timed screen capture facility. Basically, once you've drawn something on someone's screen, you can't stop them from copying it.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

I don't know why you want to make such feature... can't you by-pass such feature by using screen capture or recording software? And like other said, it can make your player/customer and reviewer angry.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

FamuFamu
Regular

#7 Post by FamuFamu »

It's true something like that can make people angry, then again, non-intrusive watermarks are not that uncommon. Take for example Dissidia Duodecim or Peace Walker (Both for the PSP) the game lets you take screenshots and these come with a small logo of the game in the corner.

Sometimes the word "Watermark" brings forth images of text taking over half of the screen, sometimes making it impossible to see what's happening, but that was not my intention. And while there ARE many methods around for taking screenshots, I was asking precisely to limit it to Renpy's screenshot taking function.

Still, it's always interesting to see the reaction to these topics, that kind of feedback is priceless.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

FamuFamu wrote:It's true something like that can make people angry, then again, non-intrusive watermarks are not that uncommon. Take for example Dissidia Duodecim or Peace Walker (Both for the PSP) the game lets you take screenshots and these come with a small logo of the game in the corner.

Sometimes the word "Watermark" brings forth images of text taking over half of the screen, sometimes making it impossible to see what's happening, but that was not my intention. And while there ARE many methods around for taking screenshots, I was asking precisely to limit it to Renpy's screenshot taking function.

Still, it's always interesting to see the reaction to these topics, that kind of feedback is priceless.
Ah yeah, that's true. Just a small logo on the bottom right/left corner of the pic should be fine. When I thought about watermark, I immediately think about a huge transparent logo slapped over the image. But then again, screen capture in PSP is not a common feature. But for a software to "hijack" the common PC feature of print screen...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW