Any editor options for the Mac?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: Any editor options for the Mac?

#16 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote:Or do you usually run Windows emulation to play them?
There's a simpler solution: own more than one computer. ;-) Bear in mind that 'Mac Users' don't exist in a vacuum, and don't need to be marketed to as such; we still know that the rest of the world exists and not all of us are the "Apple is the one true path" lunatics. In fact, I struggle to think of a Mac owner who hasn't at least owned a Windows machine in the past, if they don't maintain a current Parallels or BootCamp-derived XP option.

I love my Macs for a number of things, but support for a wide and disparate array of software isn't really one of them. :/
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#17 Post by rocket »

Ah, command line test, brilliant!

I'll try it as soon as I get to my computer (out at dinner now).

As for how we got exposed to VNs, yes Parallels (PC emulator) is a video gaming life saver. May not run the latest and greatest, but it'll do quite nicely for the Battlestar mod on Homeworld II, and for random ero-games. That reminds me I should try one of those Touhou games in emulation...

NetGenSuperstar
Regular

#18 Post by NetGenSuperstar »

I just recently fell in love with Parallels as well. Coherence mode is a godsend. It's almost like Windows Vista isn't even there. And like I've always said, the best kind of Windows Vista is one that's not there. :D

Darth Kiki

#19 Post by Darth Kiki »

*politely covers her mouth as she giggles* To be honest, I was too poor to own a Mac until recently! The prices have really come down and become decent. (Thanks, Steve.)

I had Apple computers all the way through grade school at the schools I went to, but at home I could only afford a Windows machine. I knew I wanted a Mac "someday", and that my PC-ownership was "temporary", but in the end it took me the better part of a decade to get one.

During that decade, I found my inner anime beast, watched the Internet blossom, learned computer art and programming, and of course learned about ren'ai games and eroge and the sort.

Nowadays, I'm pretty attached to Windows. I love Mac OS slightly more, but I find myself using both equally. My preferred solution is to use Boot Camp to dual-boot OS X and Vista on my computer, as opposed to using an emulator.

Contrary to some, I like my Windows to be fully and completely there when I'm using it, and then completely and totally gone when I'm not. ;)

Special addendum: Those ONScripter games that have been ported to the Mac are a godsend indeed. Like I said, I do like being on the Mac side slightly more, so it's a much better guarantee that I'll play a game if it has a Mac version, just like it's a much better guarantee that I'll make a game if there's a Mac way to do it. ^^;

My most recent ren'ai game that I "beat" is narcissu, by the way. I'd been meaning to play it and just hadn't gotten around to it. It was quite the tearjerker and it had a profound impact on my life too. Bless the people at insani.org for making my playing it possible.

rocket
Veteran

#20 Post by rocket »

Ok, good news/ bad news.

Good news. I am not an idiot when it comes to absolute vs relative paths and my OS install is not wonky.

Bad news. It must be something about the renpy files...

I'm using RenPy 6.3.2b and OSX 10.4.10

It's short, so I'll post the whole file:

Code: Select all

# This file contains logic for detecting an editor, and for selecting

# the default editor.

init:

python hide:

import os.path

import sys

import platform

if not config.editor:

if sys.platform == 'win32':

editor = config.renpy_base + "/editor/scite.exe"

if os.path.exists(editor):

editor = renpy.shell_escape(editor)

config.editor = '"' + editor + '" "%(allfiles)s" "-open:%(filename)s" -revert: -goto:%(line)d'

elif platform.mac_ver()[0]:

config.editor = "open /Applications/Smultron.app '%(allfiles)s'"

else:

editor = config.renpy_base + "/editor/scite"

if os.path.exists(editor):

editor = renpy.shell_escape(editor)

config.editor = "'" + editor + "' '%(allfiles)s' '-open:%(filename)s' -revert: -goto:%(line)d"

if config.editor:

os.environ['RENPY_EDITOR'] = config.editor

NetGenSuperstar
Regular

#21 Post by NetGenSuperstar »

Darth Kiki wrote:My preferred solution is to use Boot Camp to dual-boot OS X and Vista on my computer, as opposed to using an emulator.
Me, too. Except that I hate restarting my computer just to use a program for 30 seconds. So Parallels has become my best friend in that respect. Also, I hate that Ragnarok and Trickster Online don't have sound on Vista, but that can be blamed on Microsoft.
rocket wrote:Ok, good news/ bad news.

Good news. I am not an idiot when it comes to absolute vs relative paths and my OS install is not wonky.

Bad news. It must be something about the renpy files...

I'm using RenPy 6.3.2b and OSX 10.4.10
Try replacing the line:

config.editor = "open /Applications/Smultron.app '%(allfiles)s'"
with:

config.editor = "open -a /Applications/Smultron.app '%(allfiles)s'"
The -a option tells 'open' that you're trying to run an app, and it should interpret the command line as such. It seems to work for me just typing it in a bash shell, but I can't test it in Python right now.

Darth Kiki

#22 Post by Darth Kiki »

No sound? Huh, weird. O.o;; They have sound for me (yes, I play them both XD), it's just crackly and has fraction-of-a-second stops as if the computer's being slightly overloaded with other tasks. Maybe it's related to drivers or something, maybe we're running different machines. o.o (black/silver iMac here ^^) All I know is, despite the release of all of these "Games for Windows" in stores - most/all of which have Windows Vista as a minimum requirement - Vista's a darned cruddy platform for gaming thus far.

Also, thanks for your help with Rocket's problem. :D I seriously can't think of anything. ^^; There are so many occasions where I probably could fix something if I came to the person's house and was able to mess around with their computer for an hour, but fixing things over the Internet is much harder. Instead of being able to try 10 or so possible solutions a minute until you find the right one, it's more like 2-3 suggestions get executed per day when you account for time zones and delays before the person actually receives your advice and gets a chance to try it out. :/

I really wish I *could* take a look, because we've eliminated a lot of potential things it could have been. There has to be something different between Rocket's computer and the computers of those that the config file edit works for, but I can't think of what. */arg*

I'll keep thinking, though!

rocket
Veteran

#23 Post by rocket »

config.editor = "open -a /Applications/Smultron.app '%(allfiles)s'"
The -a option tells 'open' that you're trying to run an app, and it should interpret the command line as such. It seems to work for me just typing it in a bash shell, but I can't test it in Python right now.[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

That did it! For whatever reason...

Thanks a bunch!

Now then.. back to making that game... :-/

Darth Kiki

#24 Post by Darth Kiki »

YAY!

Now that I know what it is, I feel like a total idiot.. I checked with the local Mac guru (I am a programmer, not a guru. BIG difference! ^^;) and they said that for what we're doing for loading Smultron it's a matter of form to always add the "-a" for compatibility and to generally make sure things always work.

Geez, everyone here is so cool. ^^; I still consider myself very new to this community, and this is the first time I've actually been there to see people coming together and helping each other, which of course is pretty common but I've never seen it unfolding myself. ^^

God I sound stuck up. ^^; I promise I wasn't trying to sound that way, I really do think this community is one of the best there is. :D

*straightens self up, goes into businesslike tone* Anyway, seeing as (after further research) the addition of that flag to the command fixes a couple bugs that were going on for me that I could never quite figure out, I'll add it into what I'm basically making the "official" package to give to Tom.

*feels silly for not knowing this ^^; guess you learn something every day o.o*

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#25 Post by PyTom »

Cool. If you can get it to me soon, I'll stick it into Ren'Py 6.3.3 "Spiral Energy", which I'm planning to release Real Soon Now.
this is the first time I've actually been there to see people coming together and helping each other
"Spiral Energy" :-)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by monele »

Smultron doriru? :D

NetGenSuperstar
Regular

#27 Post by NetGenSuperstar »

Darth Kiki wrote:No sound? Huh, weird. O.o;;
Maybe it's related to drivers or something, maybe we're running different machines.
It's related to the fact that Vista doesn't allow games to run in Administrative mode, and both Ragnarok and Trickster require it to. I can get sound by restarting the audio server in Task Manager, but that doesn't always seem to work, and it's still a pain.

It's half the game company's fault for not updating to support Vista, and half Microsoft's fault for treating anything other than text as if it were a virus.

rocket
Veteran

#28 Post by rocket »

PyTom wrote: "Spiral Energy" :-)
"Your's is the ren'ai which pierces the... er... heavens." (^_^)