(Solved) Can I put [player name] in a renpy game in android?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
stwkun
Regular
Organization: Stw Projects

(Solved) Can I put [player name] in a renpy game in android?

#1 Post by stwkun »

I developed a game with customised name for the character [player_name] but when I test the apk in android I can´t put the name either continue the game. Any solution to this problem, please? :?
Last edited by stwkun on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bg_nocturnal
Regular

Re: Can I put [player name] in a renpy game in android?

#2 Post by bg_nocturnal »

Is that because you don't have a way to input the letters? Huh. I have zero experience with making Android versions, but here are some ideas in case it's not possible to access the OS's virtual keyboard:

- create your own virtual keyboard, all you need is a screen with buttons for each letter;
- use a generic name instead of a customized one (for example "Player", "You" or something like that);
- generate a random name from a list and give the players a button to generate new ones until they find one satisfying.
Last edited by bg_nocturnal on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#3 Post by Asceai »

Yeah, ideally renpy.input() would use the onscreen keyboard in android but it doesn't. I'd probably use bg_nocturnal's suggestion of using an on-screen keyboard.

Here's a solution from a previous thread. Sadly, it looks like old, pre-screen language code, but it's still a possible solution.

stwkun
Regular
Organization: Stw Projects

#4 Post by stwkun »

Thanks my friends, I will check your suggestions