Game Won't Load?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
eladard

Game Won't Load?

#1 Post by eladard »

(I am currently using a Dell desktop PC manufactured by Intel running on Windows 7 Ultimate.)

I've tried contacting the creator about this, but I thought I'd a try the forum as well.

I'll have to apologize ahead of time since I'm not very good with computers. At all. I downloaded a visual novel game that runs using Ren'Py. I've never used Ren'Py or played a game using it before. When I ran it, the window appeared with nothing but blackness. I click inside the window and the opening music started playing, but the window remained black. Shortly after, it closed itself and a Notepad file appeared titled "traceback" saying this, followed by lots of file information:

"I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 153, in script
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 157, in python
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 11, in script
Exception: Could not set video mode."

I tried again and it did the same thing. Now sometimes it won't even play the music, just frozen with a black screen.

Looking into it, I saw someone with he same problem and someone recommended to them that a video driver update may be necessary. I went to Intel's website, and after updating Java, it determined that my drivers were all up-to-date. Not trusting it for some reason, I checked for updates manually and everything was indeed up-to-date. This was puzzling, as now I haven't a clue why it still wasn't working. I then found this and this. So OpenGL is in most current video drivers, correct? Then I won't need to download anything, because according to that page, mine is already using OpenGL since it will not let me resize the window. Since it apparently will not run using OpenGL, I tried to disable it or switch it by pressing and holding shift+down and shift+g like the pages say, but neither of them work.

So what do I do now? It seems my computer is part of the small fraction that has issues with this. I just really want to play this game. Any help at all would be appreciated and thanks for your time. And if this is a common problem and I was just too stupid to find the solution, please forgive me.

apricotorange
Veteran

Re: Game Won't Load?

#2 Post by apricotorange »

There's one more way to force software rendering if you can't get to the graphics acceleration menu: open up a command prompt (Start, Run..., type in cmd.exe), then type the following commands:

Code: Select all

set RENPY_RENDERER=sw
C:\path\to\the\game.exe
Replace "C:\path\to\the\game.exe" with the actual path to your game. (To quickly enter the path to the executable, you can drag the icon for the game's executable onto the command prompt window.)