The Ren'Py Quickstart Manual --- in Japanese!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ivlivs
Veteran

The Ren'Py Quickstart Manual --- in Japanese!

#1 Post by Ivlivs »

When randomly surfing on the net, I came across this little gem from the "Anobota Depot."

Yes, it is PyTom's very own Quickstart Manual for Ren'Py. It even translates a bit of "The Question" while explaining the examples. You can view the page in Japanese only, in English only, or with both languages side-by-side.

Now if only other Ren'py stuff would get translated...then again, Renpy is quite English-biased (I don't mean it as an insult or anything, just stating a fact.) So, to erode a little bit of that bias, here is a kana converter I made for this beautiful VN engine:
hiragana.rpy
(13.61 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
katakana.rpy
(13.6 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
dashkata.rpy
(14.57 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Keep in mind that I am still very much a novice at Python.
Jitteh Dawn --- A VN by Ivlivs

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: The Ren'Py Quickstart Manual --- in Japanese!

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'd say it's more western biased then english-biased, although it does hurt from the fact that English the only natural language I know well. (And from the way Python does unicode, with the u''.) I'm trying to remove biases, but some are inherent in the libraries I use. (I'd love to have input method support, but it's not in pygame or SDL, last time I checked.)

Could you possibly post the kana converter to the cookbook in the wiki, so others can use it?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Ivlivs
Veteran

#3 Post by Ivlivs »

Don't worry about a thing. I figured that the inability to enter kana directly was a limitation inherent in the software.

I will post the code to the Cookbook as fast as I can.

NetGenSuperstar
Regular

#4 Post by NetGenSuperstar »

Pretty cool, coming up with something like that. Someday, when I'm feeling completely insane, I'll translate those converters to Korean.

Ivlivs
Veteran

#5 Post by Ivlivs »

Code posted in the Cookbook.

I'm glad to be of assistance. :)