u'start' is defined twice error

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
StarMasayume
Regular

u'start' is defined twice error

#1 Post by StarMasayume »

I'm not sure what I did, I'd swear everything was just working yesterday. I've looked in my script file but can't find what's wrong. I'm not sure if english/game/script is a different file but I can't find it anywhere. =/ I think I accidentally created a new game(duplicate) on a different pc the other day instead of pointing to the right folder so wondering if that messed with something. It still seemed like everything was working though.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading the script.
ScriptError: Name u'start' is defined twice: at english/game/script.rpy:11 and game/script.rpy:88.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Sarah\Downloads\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 286, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "C:\Users\Sarah\Downloads\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 227, in main
    renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
  File "C:\Users\Sarah\Downloads\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\renpy\script.py", line 177, in load_script
    self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
  File "C:\Users\Sarah\Downloads\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\renpy\script.py", line 436, in load_appropriate_file
    if self.load_file(dir, fn + compiled, initcode):
  File "C:\Users\Sarah\Downloads\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\renpy\script.py", line 320, in load_file
    self.finish_load(stmts, initcode)
  File "C:\Users\Sarah\Downloads\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\renpy\script.py", line 392, in finish_load
    node.filename, node.linenumber))
ScriptError: Name u'start' is defined twice: at english/game/script.rpy:11 and game/script.rpy:88.

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.17.3.327

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: u'start' is defined twice error

#2 Post by Asceai »

You've got a duplicate- script.rpy is in both english/game and in game- and label start: is being defined in both of them.

StarMasayume
Regular

Re: u'start' is defined twice error

#3 Post by StarMasayume »

Oh thanks ~ I thought that was the problem but I kept looking for an "English" folder that didn't seem to exist. It was in another folder same name as the game duplicated inside of it. Deleted it and it's good again :)