Where do people get Character Graphics for they're games?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Red Knight

Where do people get Character Graphics for they're games?

#1 Post by Red Knight »

I'm having trouble finding some. Also, please don't tell me to "Google them", because I already did, and got very few results.

Scott
Regular

Re: Where do people get Character Graphics for they're games?

#2 Post by Scott »

I'm guessing they draw them, get other people to draw them, or rip them from other games. Those are the only real options...

I suppose if you're not doing something original, you can just take pictures and photoshop people, or take screencaps from various media.

("their")

Red Knight

#3 Post by Red Knight »

Scott wrote:I'm guessing they draw them, get other people to draw them, or rip them from other games. Those are the only real options...

I suppose if you're not doing something original, you can just take pictures and photoshop people, or take screencaps from various media.

("their")
I can't draw, I don't have the money to hire anyone, and I don't know how to rip them from other games. I also can't photoshop, and if I took a screencap, I couldn't remove the character from the picture. lol. Anyone got any other options?

frumplstlskn
Regular

#4 Post by frumplstlskn »

People will do art for free if they are intrigued by your idea and if you ask them or advertise that you are looking for an artist.

Scott
Regular

#5 Post by Scott »

Look in the forum for recruitment, I guess. There are people there who do characters/backgrounds, apparently for free.

As far as photoshopping goes... for a so-so character, you can just crop, use the eraser tool to erase the background, zoom in, use a smaller eraser, and repeat ad nauseum. It won't look great, but it'll get you a character.

Basically, you have two choices.

1. Make your own.
2. Use someone else's.

These can be expanded into...
1. Make your own.
1a. Draw your own.
1b. Edit characters out of existing pictures.

2. Use someone else's.
2a. Have someone draw some for you.
2b. Rip characters from an existing game.

I can't really think of any alternatives, heh. I think the Blade engine has some complimentary characters available, but that falls under "2".

http://www.bladeengine.com/addons/BG_Char.php

Not very many.

So yeah, your options are kind of limited. It's like saying "I want to make a movie, but I don't have actors. I can't act and I can't hire actors, what do I do?"

Red Knight

#6 Post by Red Knight »

Scott wrote:Look in the forum for recruitment, I guess. There are people there who do characters/backgrounds, apparently for free.

As far as photoshopping goes... for a so-so character, you can just crop, use the eraser tool to erase the background, zoom in, use a smaller eraser, and repeat ad nauseum. It won't look great, but it'll get you a character.

Basically, you have two choices.

1. Make your own.
2. Use someone else's.

These can be expanded into...
1. Make your own.
1a. Draw your own.
1b. Edit characters out of existing pictures.

2. Use someone else's.
2a. Have someone draw some for you.
2b. Rip characters from an existing game.

I can't really think of any alternatives, heh. I think the Blade engine has some complimentary characters available, but that falls under "2".

http://www.bladeengine.com/addons/BG_Char.php

Not very many.

So yeah, your options are kind of limited. It's like saying "I want to make a movie, but I don't have actors. I can't act and I can't hire actors, what do I do?"
I saw that Blade Engine Site, but the Characters...Eh, something just seems off. Anyway, I guess I'll have to think this through. One thread (Posted by the Forum Admin, I think) said that if you post your Plots, Ideas, Etc, prepare for the risk of theft or something, and I don't want to deal with that. lol. Anyway, Thanks.

Scott
Regular

#7 Post by Scott »

Red Knight wrote:One thread (Posted by the Forum Admin, I think) said that if you post your Plots, Ideas, Etc, prepare for the risk of theft or something, and I don't want to deal with that. lol. Anyway, Thanks.
Probably more of a caveat emptor than "Hey, if you post here, someone will steal your stuff!".

You have to risk a little to gain a bit; I don't think many (good) artists would be willing to invest their time and skill in making characters for an anonymous game the creator doesn't want to talk about.

Good luck.

Red Knight

#8 Post by Red Knight »

Scott wrote:
Red Knight wrote:One thread (Posted by the Forum Admin, I think) said that if you post your Plots, Ideas, Etc, prepare for the risk of theft or something, and I don't want to deal with that. lol. Anyway, Thanks.
Probably more of a caveat emptor than "Hey, if you post here, someone will steal your stuff!".

You have to risk a little to gain a bit; I don't think many (good) artists would be willing to invest their time and skill in making characters for an anonymous game the creator doesn't want to talk about.

Good luck.
Thanks.

Daggio
Regular

#9 Post by Daggio »

why don't you try A.L.I.C.E?

Red Knight

#10 Post by Red Knight »

Daggio wrote:why don't you try A.L.I.C.E?
It's cool, but not very customizable. Still, might come in handy eventually. Thanks.

Doogy

#11 Post by Doogy »

You can try and find ren'ai maker, it's an old utility in the line of rpg maker, it's in japanese but you can create chars and export them...

Red Knight

#12 Post by Red Knight »

Doogy wrote:You can try and find ren'ai maker, it's an old utility in the line of rpg maker, it's in japanese but you can create chars and export them...
I found info on it, but no download for it. Lame. I thought I found something too.

Scott
Regular

#13 Post by Scott »

It's a commercial program, clocking in at a bit over 10000 yen.

Edit: Also, it's Japanese... so I hope you know Japanese.

Red Knight

#14 Post by Red Knight »

Scott wrote:It's a commercial program, clocking in at a bit over 10000 yen.

Edit: Also, it's Japanese... so I hope you know Japanese.
Nope, I don't know Japanese, although I could probably figure out the Character Making part by just using it. Ah well. I'll think of something else.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by monele »

Since you can't draw, can't rip them off (which should only be done for testing purpose anyway) and can't find a character maker that fits... there's really no other choice than having someone else make graphics for you. Unless you want to try 3D, in which case you might find a (very) few free models and render them. But don't expect a 2D anime result ^^;...

But are you looking for placeholder graphics or actual final-version graphics anyway?