Ren'Py 4.3 Feature Requests

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#16 Post by PyTom »

Right now, I have Ren'Py in a holding pattern as I work on the outline and script of a game I'm working on. So I'm not planning on doing much in the way of coding until either I get close to a release, or someone else can show me a game that's close enough to completion that the engine may be the limiting factor.

That being said, if someone shows me such a game, I'll give it a high priority as I prepare for a release. I'd like to be involved in the release process of the first few games, if only to check them over for subtle bugs (such as ones involving saving, and reloading with a modified script). I can also help build new executables, and plan to put together an installer.

Anyway, moving on to the newest batch of features.

Remembering character positioning could get interesting, but I have some ideas on how it could be made to work. It'll probably always be an option that needs a config variable set to make it work.

Having the text of more than one character in the same text box is fraught with peril. Not really, but how often does one get to say "fraught with peril"? The real problem is figuring out how to convey to the system where each text box begins and ends.

Perhaps a solution similar to the Kana mode hacks that I gave before can be adopted, with there being different character names for text that is in a page and text that ends a page. But it's hard to decide what the right syntax should be, partially because it's not a feature that I'd use.

If you can propose a syntax for it (perhaps by giving an example), then I can see how I would go about implementing it.

Finally, a canonical solution for variably named characters will definitely be in the cards for the future. But I should point out that the example I posted in the other thread does support styles. (Color is just an example of one of the styles you can use, others are supported.)