Default transition between scenes?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Default transition between scenes?

#1 Post by Zetsubou »

Hi all,

I've searched through the forum and documentation, but I can't seem to find an answer on how to do this.
I recently came across the "config.say_attribute_transition" setting, allowing me to define a transition to use by default when changing expressions. Since I was using the same transition between each expression, this has saved me using "with xxx" statements after every expression change.
Along that same vein, I'm wondering if there's a config option (or workaround) to set a default transition between scenes.

eg. Rather than
scene bg FactoryInterior with fade
scene bg FactoryExterior with fade
I could set "with fade" to be the default transition between scenes, and only specify a transition if I don't want to use fade.

I've tried setting "scene_show_transition", "default_transform", and overwriting "renpy.scene", but suffice to say none of those worked.
Is there a simple solution that I'm missing? I change scenes a lot throughout the game I'm working on.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Default transition between scenes?

#2 Post by Asceai »

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#3 Post by Zetsubou »

Thanks Asceai, looks like overwriting renpy.scene was the solution after all.
I'll need to do some tweaking, but I have the basics working with:

Code: Select all

def cust_scene(*args, **kwargs):
        renpy.transition(fade)
        renpy.scene(*args, **kwargs)
        return
    config.scene = cust_scene
edit: solution I'm sticking with for now is:

Code: Select all

def cust_scene(*args):
        renpy.transition(fade)
        renpy.scene(*args)
        renpy.transition(fade)
        return
    config.scene = cust_scene
which makes the default scene transition a 0.5 second fade out, followed by a 0.5 second fade in to the new scene.
This way I can specify both sides of the transition without overriding renpy.hide, since that would affect other transitions as well (eg. hiding characters).
Last edited by Zetsubou on Tue May 06, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#4 Post by Asceai »

I'm glad you found a solution from that, and I apologise for not actually reading your post and seeing you had a different issue. Thanks for config.say_attribute_transition because I didn't know about that!