Option to Override Windows Display Setting?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

Option to Override Windows Display Setting?

#1 Post by EwanG »

One of the things I had been enjoying about Win 8.1 is that on the Display options it has a slider to let you apply a global magnification to everything that displays. To see it right click on the desktop, select Personalization, and click on Display where you will then see a slider under the header "Change the Size of all Items". This means that rather than having to zoom webpages or run and then kill the magnifier tool, that everything is zoomed automagically. So your resolution is still 1920x1080, but everything is still readable on a 40 inch monitor/TV.

However I had forgotten I set that a few weeks ago, and when I started up RenPy on my latest project you can imagine my surprise when my 1366x768 screens which should fit with room to spare would be partly off screen (and of course that meant I couldn't reach the Quit option). I then went to preferences to see if "Fullscreen" would help... it most certainly didn't.

Took me a good hour to figure out what I had done. And of course I could then just imagine distributing the game and finding other folks who similarly set it and forgot it.

So is there any way for RenPy to probe the Windows display options to see if this is the case and scale the screen accordingly, or to force windows to unmagnify when running, or... ?

Alternative is to rescale everything back to 800 x 600 which still fits comfortably even if the display is zoomed. Perhaps that's the safest option?
Working on something... might even be something good :D

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Option to Override Windows Display Setting?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom