Hiding textbox at the start of game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

Hiding textbox at the start of game

#1 Post by yuucie »

Hello! I've been trying for a while now and I can't seem to be able to hide the textbox at the start of the game.

My game starts with a show blackscreen, then a dissolve into a CG, with some motion effects and sound effects. The textbox seems to appear for the dissolve and motion effects, and window hide does not seem to be helping. Here is my code:

Code: Select all

window hide
    show bg blackscreen
    show bg CGWindow:
        xpos 0 ypos 0 xanchor 0 yanchor 0
        linear 5.0 xpos -180 ypos -150
    with Dissolve (.5)
    play sound "sound/cloth rustle.mp3"
    with vpunch
    $renpy.pause(1.5)
So first, the game opens with a blackscreen. Then it fades into the background, CGWindow. But at this point, a textbox appears. The sound effect is played, the vpunch (shakes the screen) happens, and THEN the text box disappears for 1.5 seconds (due to the renpy pause I assume).

The window hide at the start of the code doesn't seem to do anything but to hide the entire screen for a brief moment before showing the blackscreen.

I tried putting renpy.pause at the start of the code, but it freezes the game for the assigned seconds and then proceeds with a textbox firmly in place.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

mjshi
Regular
Completed: MazeSite01, Ponderings of Time

Re: Hiding textbox at the start of game

#2 Post by mjshi »

I'm no expert, but have you tried inserting a second "hide textbox" in the place where it appears?

Otherwise, I'd suggest maybe a temporary transparent textbox or something... sorry I can't be more helpful.

yuucie
Regular

#3 Post by yuucie »

Hahaha, that was a good idea, but sadly didn't work :D

window hide
    show bg blackscreen
    $renpy.pause(1.5, hard='True')
    window hide
    show bg CGWindow:
        xpos 0 ypos 0 xanchor 0 yanchor 0
        linear 5.0 xpos -180 ypos -150
    with Dissolve (.5)
    window hide
    play sound "sound/cloth rustle.mp3"
    window hide
    with vpunch
    window hide
    $renpy.pause(1.5)
inserted window hide in every place I could, but didn't do anything. I think the textbox is automatically summoned with the command "Dissolve" and "vpunch" for some reason (I found removing those commands got rid of the textbox, but I do want the dissolve and vpunch still so I'm not willing to delete them off the script).

yuucie
Regular

#4 Post by yuucie »

Ah, I found the solution to my problem. The thing is, I added

$ _window_during_transitions = True
at the start of the game to stop the textbox from flashing during expression change in dialogue, but that affected my opening as well. setting the value to False fixed all the problems, and setting to True after the intro works as well!