[Solved] Special Effect that shows over NVL say screen

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
aqua.soo

[Solved] Special Effect that shows over NVL say screen

#1 Post by aqua.soo »

How do you show a displayable that is on top of everything in the game, especially the NVL say screen?

I've tried messing around with zorder, but no matter what I set it to, the say screen remains on top of everything.
Last edited by aqua.soo on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinsman
Regular

Re: Special Effect that shows over NVL say screen

#2 Post by Kinsman »

If you look in the Configuration Variables part of the documentation, you can find config.layers, where you can set the names of layers that you want to use in your game. You probably want to leave the defaults alone, but you can add a layer name of your own to the end, and make a show command that displays to your custom layer.

EDIT: Also, if it's specifically the NVL say screen you want to change, you can go into the screen code for the nvl screen and add your displayable along with the other things the NVL screen shows.
Flash To Ren'Py Exporter
See the Cookbook thread

aqua.soo

Re: Special Effect that shows over NVL say screen

#3 Post by aqua.soo »

Ah, I see. Just appending a new layer to that config.layers and using that worked. Thanks!