Can't get auto_load to work...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
JD_Mortal
Regular

Can't get auto_load to work...

#1 Post by JD_Mortal »

I am trying to get the game to auto-load slot #1, as the documentation suggests it should do... however... It is not loading. The game just starts at the beginning every time it loads.

I added the line... (To the "options.rpy" file.) and reloaded, and restarted, and even tried restarting the RenPy program itself.
config.auto_load = 1
also tried...
config.auto_load = "1"
and...
config.auto_load = True

Nothing seems to work. However, I notice that some save-slots have titles like q1 and a1. (I assume "Auto" and "Quick".) However, I also tried "q1" with no luck.

Is this just a dead feature?

Should I make a "goto" statement, or am I just stuck having to select a save-game manually now?
Last edited by JD_Mortal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Can't get auto_load to work...

#2 Post by Alex »

Try

Code: Select all

textbutton _("Continue") action FileLoad("1", "auto")
in main menu screen.
http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_ac ... le-actions

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Can you try:

config.auto_load = "1-1"

please? We changed the names we give to games, and you might have gotten bit by that. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll debug it further.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

JD_Mortal
Regular

#4 Post by JD_Mortal »

tried...

config.auto_load = "1-1"
and
config.auto_load = "1-LT1"

1-LT1 is the save-files sub-name... full name is "quick-1-LT1.save"

However, this should just be a boolean statement, since it has the only purpose of loading the game in slot 1, whatever it is named. (True or False), for load it, or do not load it... default not-loading, since it is a developer option.

This is being placed after this line...

init -1 python hide:
    ## Should we enable the use of developer tools? This should be
    ## set to False before the game is released, so the user can't
    ## cheat using developer tools.
    config.developer = True
    config.auto_load = "1"
If that has anything to do with it failing?
When I put it in the "other code" area, at the bottom, it auto_loads the first scene. (With 1-1)

This just gives errors...

textbutton _("Continue") action FileLoad("1", "auto")

JD_Mortal
Regular

#5 Post by JD_Mortal »

I found-out what it is doing...

It is loading the AUTO-SAVE slot 1... not the QUICK-SAVE... (We save in the Quick-Save. The game saves in the Auto-Save.)

EDIT: That didn't help, it just skips the "start" screen, does not load any saves...

Which leads me to another issue... the Auto-Save just auto-saves the first 10 screens, then stops auto-saving. I imagine the nature was once, or desired to be that it auto-saves when an internal trigger is fired to "auto-save", or it should be saving the "last 10", not the "first 10", then stopping when the 10 slots are filled.

Suggestion... make a special "Dev-save", which only shows when in developer mode. If it exists, and the option for "Auto-load" is set, then it loads that special Dev-Save.

P.S. Clicking on "Save Game" should take you to the place where you can actually "Save a game"... When on the "auto-save" area, you select "Save-game", and it just stays on that page, with nothing you can do there. You have to "know" to select "quick". (Which is an odd name for "Save games". It is not normal to show Auto-saves, which are a system thing, before a user defined save. That is sort-of what we are looking for, when we hit save or load... the system auto-saves are a bonus, an accessory, a sub-group...)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

For what it's worth, I was able to get things working by adding:

init python:
    config.auto_load = "1-1"
to the save game. You may want to look in the saves/ directory to see what save games exist. My code loads the file 1-1-LT1.save, while other code will load a different file.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom