Is it possible?: User room navigation

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
inkbrush
Regular

Is it possible?: User room navigation

#1 Post by inkbrush »

Is it possible to make a system where the user can navigate through different rooms with different things happening when you go to a certain place at a certain time?

Or example, I'm looking for something that might be similar to My Candy Love where there are buttons that allow you to move through the hallways, classrooms and town. Certain characters tend to be found in certain locations so if you're wanting to talk to them, you have to go to the locations they're usually in. However, they're not always there.

So, basically what I'm wondering is if it's possible to code something like this in with Ren'Py.

I've also thought about another way I could give the illusion of moving through different locations on your own free will. Another option I was wondering about is so:

If you DON'T have buttons to navigate through rooms, maybe you have a map with buttons on them? (So, you have the ability to move from a room on one side of a house to the complete opposite side instead of travelling through the halls to get to said location.) I know it's possible to make a map with image buttons so you can choose where and when you want to go somewhere but can it work if you go to a location and if you have say, a key another character gave you, you can then enter a room that you weren't able to enter before? How would this be coded?

I could really use some help on how things would be coded or if they're possible. And maybe even if they're not possible with Ren'Py, some ideas about what I can do instead.

Thank you for reading!

Rietr

Re: Is it possible?: User room navigation

#2 Post by Rietr »

Your problem seems to look a lot like this one (if I understand you correctly): http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=27937

So you can make an map with different buttons and with each button have a call to a label. Then make something like this(I used your example of the player needing a key):

Code: Select all

label some_room:        
    scene room
    python:
        if player_has_key:
            renpy.jump("room_open")
        else:
            renpy.jump("room_closed")
    return

label room_open:
    testch "The room opens"
    return

label room_closed:
    testch "You need a key"
    return
So no just call the label some_room from behind your button for this door and make sure you set the variable player_has_key somewhere.

For different time the structure would look roughly the same, but you if-statement would change a little. You have to check what time it is, but it depends on how you are implementing that. But I hope this makes it clear.

inkbrush
Regular

#3 Post by inkbrush »

Oh, okay! I understand now, thank you!

I'm still looking to know if it's possible to set up a system to move room by room instead of by a map. (Two or three buttons on the screen that navigate through hallways to different rooms, etc.) Would this be coded like imagebuttons on a map? I think what I want to do is have a map of the larger areas around the map and then you navigate through those specific sections, if that's possible.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#4 Post by Donmai »

No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

inkbrush
Regular

#5 Post by inkbrush »

I saw that thread a few days ago and I read through it. I didn't understand it fully at first but I read through it again and it makes more sense now. It helped a little but my directional buttons won't be in the same place for each area. I want them to be in specific locations and the button location won't be in the same spot for most of the images. Would this just be coded like an image map would be?

EDIT: I did some of mine own researched and I believe I figured it out!