Script files won't open [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Urikol
Regular

Script files won't open [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Urikol »

As the title says the script files will not open.

I clicked on Options, Screens, Script and All Script Files to maybe get something, anything... But nothing happened.

When I say nothing happened, I mean nothing happened. No error pop up, no automatic opening then closing of the files, no sign at all that it did anything.
I re-installed and updated to the latest version even but still the same, nothing happens.

However this seemed to have happened after my computer's hard drive failed and shut down completely on me. I had someone copy my files over to an extra hard drive I had in my computer. I have all my stuff back. Everything works fine except for the Ren'Py scripts.

Thank you for taking the time to read my issue, if you have any answers that you think may solve my problem or hints as to what may have happened to cause this I would gladly appreciate them.
Last edited by Urikol on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longknight

Re: Script files won't open

#2 Post by Longknight »

check that the project name you have on the left hand side of your renpy launcher, matches the files you have in the renpy directory

Also check preferences down the bottom of the launcher an check where your project directory is pointing.

Urikol
Regular

#3 Post by Urikol »

Longknight wrote:check that the project name you have on the left hand side of your renpy launcher, matches the files you have in the renpy directory

Also check preferences down the bottom of the launcher an check where your project directory is pointing.

They both seem to match just fine. The directory leads right to where it always has and should be. Still nothing.

Longknight

#4 Post by Longknight »

Hmm can you open the actually script.rpy from your directory with something like notepad?

Urikol
Regular

#5 Post by Urikol »

Longknight wrote:Hmm can you open the actually script.rpy from your directory with something like notepad?
Yes, That I can do.
Don't focus on the end result, focus on the now

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by xela »

You could try to find Launchers own persistent files and delete them, should solve the issue. I expect it is an editor thing, you're either missing it or Launcher doesn't look for it properly due to old persistent files pointing elsewhere. You could try downloading a different editor as well.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Urikol
Regular

#7 Post by Urikol »

xela wrote:You could try to find Launchers own persistent files and delete them, should solve the issue. I expect it is an editor thing, you're either missing it or Launcher doesn't look for it properly due to old persistent files pointing elsewhere. You could try downloading a different editor as well.
I tried deleting persistent data like you said and still nothing happened. However, when I used a different editor ( Editra ) instead of the usual jEdit, that seemed to work just fine.

Any reason why jEdit refuses to open?

dyrarendy
Regular
Projects: Visual Novel Dating Sims Masa SMA

#8 Post by dyrarendy »

- Click "Refresh" near "Projects :" word in Ren'Py.

Is it Working ?

No.
Then
- Click Preferences > text editor > Make sure Editra Installed. Or u can trying using JEdit.
If not
Go to Ren'Py directory, delete Editra Folder including all files in it. And then :
- Click Preferences > text editor > Choose Editra. So it can automatically Updated.

If JEdit Encountered a Problems.
Make sure u have JDK installed on your PC.
Or delete JEdit including all files in it. and re Install JEdit.
- Click Preferences > text editor > Choose JEdit. So it can automatically Updated.
My Project :

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by xela »

Do you have java installed correctly?

Urikol
Regular

#10 Post by Urikol »

xela wrote:Do you have java installed correctly?
I'm sure I do, but as my computer was recently repaired I suppose I should re-install Java and see what happens.

EDIT

Seems that my computer cannot find where I installed Java and it won't let me un-install it either. Any advice?
Last edited by Urikol on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dyrarendy
Regular
Projects: Visual Novel Dating Sims Masa SMA

#11 Post by dyrarendy »

Urikol wrote:
xela wrote:Do you have java installed correctly?
I'm sure I do, but as my computer was recently repaired I suppose I should re-install Java and see what happens.
u should
My Project :

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by xela »

Urikol wrote:EDIT

Seems that my computer cannot find where I installed Java and it won't let me un-install it either. Any advice?
You could just try installing it anew with an offline install but this is a broad problem with many possible/probable solutions and fixes.

Above all, I would suggest a clean os install after any primary hard-drive failure, it requires some time but it's usually worth it. Otherwise just search google, there is plenty advice, third party software and etc. out there.

Urikol
Regular

#13 Post by Urikol »

xela wrote:
You could just try installing it anew with an offline install but this is a broad problem with many possible/probable solutions and fixes.

Above all, I would suggest a clean os install after any primary hard-drive failure, it requires some time but it's usually worth it. Otherwise just search google, there is plenty advice, third party software and etc. out there.
Alright. Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

Urikol
Regular

#14 Post by Urikol »

SOLUTION

So I had someone look at the problem for me and well, they used a free program called Revo Uninstaller which force un-installed java for me so we could reinstall it and now my script files work with jEdit again and life is good. I thought I'd put this here in case someone might need this sort of info instead of doing a clean re-install of the entire system.

Thanks again though!