How Do I Get Midi Files To Play Here

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

Re: How Do I Get Midi Files To Play Here

#16 Post by JQuartz »

Taking DaFool's lead...

Max it out before saving it as wav(rendering it as wav/ pressing the play button)
Attachments
New Bitmap Image.JPG
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#17 Post by Alessio »

If you're sure that your volume controls are not messed up (soundcard's mixer panel?) then your best bet is to open the wav file in an editor and raise the volume by either normalizing (= max. volume without distortion) or compressing (= reducing the peaks so that overall volume can be increased even more).

See the section "sound editing software" at http://renpy.org/wiki/community/Resource_Links for editors. There are tons of others, too.

Neko Hibiki

#18 Post by Neko Hibiki »

Maybe I can just use an older version of renpy that does have midi support.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

That's not recommended. The reason I removed midi support is that it caused crashing on x86 macs. It also didn't work all that well on linux. Trust me, using rendered oggs is a much better approach.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Neko Hibiki

#20 Post by Neko Hibiki »

PyTom wrote:That's not recommended. The reason I removed midi support is that it caused crashing on x86 macs. It also didn't work all that well on linux. Trust me, using rendered oggs is a much better approach.
Did it work on Win XP? Cause that's what I've got. Also, I can't find any program that converts the mids to oggs and sounds as good as the mids, the oggs sound different.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by DaFool »

I can't find any program that converts the mids to oggs and sounds as good as the mids, the oggs sound different.
You just need to find soundfonts that approximate the your default soundcard better.

Did you compose the tunes yourself? If not, then whoever composed them must be glad that they can't be reproduced exactly, as it's also a way in which their copyright is protected.

Like I said elsewhere, midi and wav is like a 3D model and the final render. Right now, you have the wireframe information for a 3D model. Now, it's like you're asking that the final renders look as good as Pixar. That just doesn't happen without lots of time plugging things in (or money).

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#22 Post by PyTom »

Midi works on windows xp, but the default in Ren'Py is to make games for windows, mac and linux.

Perhaps someone could step up and render the midis for you?

Neko Hibiki

#23 Post by Neko Hibiki »

PyTom wrote:Midi works on windows xp, but the default in Ren'Py is to make games for windows, mac and linux.

Perhaps someone could step up and render the midis for you?
What program do you use on midis? Does it do a good job turning them into ogg ones? If so, please let me know the name of it then.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#24 Post by PyTom »

I use a program called timidity. But I use Ubuntu Linux. It does an acceptable job, but I'm not sure it works on Windows XP.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#25 Post by JQuartz »

PyTom wrote:That's not recommended. The reason I removed midi support is that it caused crashing on x86 macs. It also didn't work all that well on linux. Trust me, using rendered oggs is a much better approach.
I had wanted to ask this for a while, is it possible to have a code that people can just paste it in an init block to allow the use of midis? I'm asking this because not all Renpy games have distributions for platforms other than windows (eg. Siliness). The code could be something like this:

Code: Select all

init:
   if operating system == windows:
       <code for allowing use of midi here>
   else:
       <code to cause 'play midi files' codes to be ignored>
Just a suggestion.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#26 Post by PyTom »

The thing is, though, even if you don't have a distribution for mac or linux, people can always get your game working on mac or linux. You can drop it underneath a distribution of Ren'Py, or simply running it with py4renpy or the mac launcher. I tend to do this myself, as I would need to boot up a windows vm to get it working otherwise.

The moral of the story is that you should always consider the cross-platform nature of your game, even if you don't plan to actually release cross-platform. Although since Ren'Py makes a 3-platform release so easy, I don't see any reason not to do it.

Finally, just as a personal note, I'll point out that the only people who emailed me to thank me for Moonlight Wlaks were Linux users. (Even though Linux has the smallest number of downloads.)

Neko Hibiki

#27 Post by Neko Hibiki »

JQuartz wrote:
I had wanted to ask this for a while, is it possible to have a code that people can just paste it in an init block to allow the use of midis? I'm asking this because not all Renpy games have distributions for platforms other than windows (eg. Siliness). The code could be something like this:

init:
   if operating system == windows:
       <code for allowing use of midi here>
   else:
       <code to cause 'play midi files' codes to be ignored>
Just a suggestion.
I agree with this suggestion. People should have the choice to turn it on or off, it's a good suggestion.

Another thing I want to ask, can you fix it so it can have a 640X480 mode? I have very bad eyesight. I need that mode to see clearly.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by monele »

It might be a unique case but my Sound Blaster (yeah, I know, old stuff, but good stuff!) card comes with the Soundfonts it uses. The files come with the .sf2 extension and if used in a program such as the one suggested in the first posts, it should sound exactly like with your sound card. Now, though, I just made a search on my work computer and it doesn't have any SF2... So I suppose it might not be a general case :/... drat.

(also, sidenote : many midi files are badly done in that changing the Soundfont makes them sound totally different)
can you fix it so it can have a 640X480 mode?
Just change it in the options :

## These control the width and height of the screen.

config.screen_width = 800
        config.screen_height = 600

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by DaFool »

I used to use Timidity on Windows XP as well. It's just a straightforward render. Not sure if the various distros have changed since, but Synthfont is far more flexible. I ended up porting my Timidity soundfonts over to Synthfont.

It's not the software, it's the soundfonts and/or your soundcard. Try the midis on a different system with different soundcards, it will sound different.

At least converting them to oggs means that everyone else listens to the exact same tune as you do.

If you have a problem with it, then search for more soundfonts.

Jake
Support Hero

#30 Post by Jake »

Neko Hibiki wrote: Another thing I want to ask, can you fix it so it can have a 640X480 mode? I have very bad eyesight. I need that mode to see clearly.
Incidentally, wouldn't increasing the size of the text and other elements and using a higher resolution be better? A lower resolution doesn't intrinsically mean 'bigger', it just means 'less pixels' and thus 'less detail'... and a lower resolution will be that much smaller if you ever have to run the game in a window.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found