different names for rpa files and about labels(solved)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

different names for rpa files and about labels(solved)

#1 Post by JQuartz »

So here's the imagined scenario:
1. I want to make a very short Renpy game (probably 2 -3 screens, low quality art and music, everything added together should be less than 0.5 mb)
2. A friend is also making a very short Renpy game ( same as me) with a related topic
3. I want to bundle up both games to reduce game size (since all the other stuff takes up more space than the game itself)
4. A few more friends also expressed interest in bundling up their very short games
5. I can add their script to my game folder without any problem.(since we aren't using the same labels, we prefixed it with our name)
6. There will only be one start label which would be a menu with buttons jumping to the various games
7.But rpa files on the other hand can't be combined since rpa files can't be renamed without causing error.
8. For a reason, we must use rpa files

Anyone have any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks.

Question 2:

Is there anyway to check whether a specific label exists? something like:

Code: Select all

if specific label exists:
    jump specific_label
Because I might want to add on more parts to the game (reason: look at above) so I need to end my games with a jump to a new label (which currently doesn't exist yet)

Thanks again
Last edited by JQuartz on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: different names for rpa files and question about labels

#2 Post by monele »

For the RPA, just use different names ô_o... I usually have a music.rpa and a graphics.rpa of sorts.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

To make it use more .rpa files, write code like:

Code: Select all

init:
    $ config.archives.append('music')
    $ config.archives.append('graphics')
That will make it use music.rpa and graphics.rpa. (Anyone remember when Ren'Py also used .rpi files?)

To check it a label exists, use the renpy.has_label function.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#4 Post by JQuartz »

Thanks Monele! Thanks Pytom!
Now I'll just need to code the stuff...
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.