Troubleshooting Sprite Displacement Problems

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PangoDango
Regular
Projects: Lovely Little Thieves
Organization: PangoDango Games

Troubleshooting Sprite Displacement Problems

#1 Post by PangoDango »

I've just released the demo for my game and there are some tricky bugs to work out in the game's second scene (starts about 2-3 minutes into the game.)

It's a dynamic CG that pans back and forth, with dynamic displayable characters that change expression as it goes. Ideally, it looks like this most of the time:

However, if the player clicks through too fast and interrupts a pan (pans last from 1-3 seconds depending on the distance of the image they cover) to get to another change of expression, the displayables come loose from their attachment to the background and well, this happens:

Obviously this also happens when people hit skip. That's less of a concern (people are skipping through it anyway) than the "click before this 3-second pan is done and it all goes cuckoo" thing. I've attached the .rpy file with all the code to this post if it helps.

Whatever the simplest solution is would be the best, so I've considered putting in a "disable mouse click for x_amount_of_time" thing for whenever pans occur as the quickest fix. (This doesn't fix the skip problem, but that's less of an immediate concern.) All I know how to do is renpy.pause and regular pause, and neither of those fix the problem. Is there a "run game but do not allow clicks" function?

But anyway, any help would be appreciated. :) I'm kinda in over my head with something this complex.
Attachments
car scene.rpy
(74.12 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

Re: Troubleshooting Sprite Displacement Problems

#2 Post by verysunshine »

How did you fix this?

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!