Placing the name box over the dialogue box

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
HeavenlyJoker
Regular
Projects: Enora: Monster Academy
Organization: Key Lime
Tumblr: keylimegames

Placing the name box over the dialogue box

#1 Post by HeavenlyJoker »

We've been going through a lot of different positions for the box where character names are displayed recently, and I've decided that it would probably look best if I could get it to settle sort of on top of the dialogue box--see attachment; more like "on top of" when it comes to layers, as opposed to placing it above the dialogue box where you might normally find it.

The problem is, I've been having a really difficult time getting it to sit like that, and I began to wonder if it's even possible? I eventually made up a separate dialogue box for every character with the design I wanted and it works just fine, but the main character is renameable and I can't very well anticipate what name to put in (I've thought about putting something along the lines of "you" or something, but it looks kind of tacky in my opinion). I read through several large, well-known threads about customization of these boxes, and none of the information seems to apply to my problem.

Anyway, is there any sort of way to overlay the two? Let me know if I can clarify anything, and thank you for the help.
Attachments
example.png

feathersnake
Regular
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix

Re: Placing the name box over the dialogue box

#2 Post by feathersnake »

Is something like this what you're looking for? http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=25117
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#3 Post by meiri »

I don't know how to do it, but here's a tip:
If you have a side image for the MC, you don't have to display a name, just display the side image every time the character speaks. I've seen it done in "The Pirate Mermaid" (a VN in the WIP forum).
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

HeavenlyJoker
Regular
Projects: Enora: Monster Academy
Organization: Key Lime
Tumblr: keylimegames

#4 Post by HeavenlyJoker »

Thank you both for the help!! >w< If I find I still have trouble after trying out this reverse code, I'll take the side sprite without a name into consideration. I had planned to use a side sprite for the main character consistently (even when they're not talking), but it's certainly something I hadn't thought of before.