Is a "real-time" combat system possible?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
inkbrush
Regular

Is a "real-time" combat system possible?

#1 Post by inkbrush »

I've been looking into combat systems and different mechanics that I could use for a curtain game in the planning stages. However, I'm having some difficultly finding something I like with something that I can actually put together.

Though, I found one game with a combat system that I absolutely adore. The game is called "One Finger Death Punch" (search it on Google and/or look up some gameplay videos on Youtube). It's a very simple design (for the players, anyways) where all you have to do is click the left or right button on your mouse and you attack people that are coming towards you. (Please look up actual gameplay to see how it works.)

So, what I would like to know is if something like this combat system would be possible to do in Ren'Py. Thank you for reading!

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Is a "real-time" combat system possible?

#2 Post by xela »

Questions of content: "Is this BE system possible in Ren'Py?" are becoming more and more numerous...

The answer is the same: Yes.

As long as you are not planning to involve 3D rendering or some insane amount of simultaneous graphical event, Ren'Py will work. I personally cannot see this be well matched with VN though...
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

#3 Post by Milkymalk »

xela wrote:I personally cannot see this be well matched with VN though...
A lot of VNs have real time minigames. They are harder to code, but much easier to balance than turn-based minigames because they take personal skill into account.

But yes, these questions are becoming quite numerous. Maybe a sticky would be in order?
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

inkbrush
Regular

#4 Post by inkbrush »

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I'm sorry these questions are becoming quite numerous. I hadn't realized.

I do have another question:

How exactly would a system like this be coded? I've been looking around Lemmasoft and did some Google searches but I can't find anything for a real-time battle system. Everything is a turn-based system. So, if the question wasn't confused, how would the system be coded so enemies were coming up and attacking the player, instead of the player making and move and then the enemy making a move, etc. (Sorry if the answer is something simple. I'm assuming this kind of system will NOT be easy to make but if the answer for this is right in front of my face . . . Well, we can all be oblivious at times, right?)

Thank you. c':

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

#5 Post by Milkymalk »

Probably the easiest way is to use the sprite manager that comes with Ren'Py:
http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/sprites.html

I actually made a little vertical scrolling shoot'em-up with it that's supposed to become a minigame in my current VN project.

Basically whenever you want a sprite to act without waiting for input, the sprite manager is the way to go. It allows you to to set a frequency for sprite status updates and lets you define functions that manage the sprite's behaviour with each update. Read it thoroughly, analyze the example code and take baby steps, you can do a LOT wrong but the potential is great.
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

inkbrush
Regular

#6 Post by inkbrush »

Great! Thank you, again!