Running Ren'Py in a browser

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Aurelius
Projects: Secrets of the Ark, Degrees of Freedom
Organization: Bleau Eye Entertainment

Running Ren'Py in a browser

#1 Post by Aurelius »

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any possible way to host a Ren'Py game on a site like Gamejolt(http://gamejolt.com/) and play it in browser like an HTML or Unity game? Would I have to use a template engine such as Jinja2, mako, Cog, or Cheetah to embed python script in HTML or could I port to Unity, somehow and create a distribution? I am happy enough with them downloading the distribution that Ren'Py can make but I thought I can gain more audience and views by them playing in browser. Any suggestions would greatly help.

fluxus
Regular
Projects: Animal Anaesthesia (a teaching game)

Re: Running Ren'Py in a browser

#2 Post by fluxus »

Ren'Py compiles to linux, mac, windows and android.
You might be able to have it parse your game into python, I'm not sure.

If you have a way of embedding python & pygame into HTML I suppose you have a chance..

..in any case, you're probably on your own, I haven't heard of anyone succeeding in this before.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#3 Post by Alera »

I really wish there was an easy way of porting Ren'Py games into Unity. *sigh*

I remember a long-long time ago there was a talk about making Ren'Py work in browser but that kind of got abandoned? I'm not sure.

However there are a lot of alternatives to Ren'Py these days, there's even a way to make a visual novel in tumblr!
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Aurelius
Projects: Secrets of the Ark, Degrees of Freedom
Organization: Bleau Eye Entertainment

#4 Post by Aurelius »

Thanks for replying guys :)

@fluxus: I was thinking about parsing the Ren'Py game into hard python and wrap it using a template engine, but that requires direct access to the hosting website, which I do not have. so I have to look more into that then.

@Alera: I really wish the Unity port was an option, but I guess we have to wait for that or figure out something ourselves somehow. Maybe Iron Python could be a solution idk

Beuc
Regular

#5 Post by Beuc »

Alera wrote: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:23 am I remember a long-long time ago there was a talk about making Ren'Py work in browser but that kind of got abandoned? I'm not sure.
Here's a new attempt at bringing Ren'Py in the browser:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=52015