Floating enter text box and variable CG images in gallery

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
HeavenlyJoker
Regular
Projects: Enora: Monster Academy
Organization: Key Lime
Tumblr: keylimegames

Floating enter text box and variable CG images in gallery

#1 Post by HeavenlyJoker »

First order of business: Does anyone know of a way to allow people to enter text (like a name or a written-in decision) on(or maybe using) an imagemap or a screen instead of the usual dialogue box at the bottom?

I feel like I may have a difficult time explaining my question next, so let me know if I need to clarify anything.

I have a game with some character creation elements in it (hair, eyes, etc.), and while I'm fairly certain I have the CGs with the main character present in them in-game figured out by use of screens, I'm unsure how one might put them together in a gallery (save for putting the character creation screen before you view the CG each time, which I think would be silly and annoying). I've thought about using persistent values for the character features, but that wouldn't do if they player decides to start a new game and wants to flip back and forth between saves. So, if anyone has any ideas, of if it would just be impractical overall at that point to even have a CG gallery, please let me know!

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Floating enter text box and variable CG images in galler

#2 Post by Alex »

For the first issue you could try to do something like this - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 10#p155914

Saltome
Veteran
Deviantart: saltome

Re: Floating enter text box and variable CG images in galler

#3 Post by Saltome »

For one you don't have to make the gallery accessible from the main screen. It could be like a special room the player can visit, and since that would have to happen after the game has started the player data would be available when necessary.

On the other hand you could do what everybody else does and use a random featureless picture for the player.
If Konami can get away with it why can't you?
Deviant Art: Image
Discord: saltome
Itch: Phoenix Start