[solved] How to click from one cutscene to another

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
qualiatte

[solved] How to click from one cutscene to another

#1 Post by qualiatte »

i'm playing around with some features for a vn that makes very little use of the text box and sprites.
the majority of it is basically fullscreen comic panels so all of the dialogue is represented in speech bubbles incorporated into the scene. the text box isn't going to be visible at all during this time, but there is a good chunk of the game where the text box is going to be visible and the storytelling will go back to a traditional vn setup, i'm just having a bit of trouble implementing the comic portions. what I want is for the player (reader? idk) to have to click to see the next scene, but because ren'py recognizes the panels as one whole cutscene, instead of just skipping to the next panel it'll skip all the way to when there is another text box.

is there any way to make it so the player has to click to continue during these scenes? preferably without having to use transparent assets for like markers or something.
Last edited by qualiatte on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:10 am, edited 5 times in total.

Kinsman
Regular

Re: How to click from one cutscene to another?

#2 Post by Kinsman »

You can use $renpy.pause(checkpoint=True). This will pause until the player clicks the mouse, and it creates a checkpoint that can be rolled back to.

I think that just leaving out the delay and using $renpy.pause() also makes a checkpoint, but I don't have Ren'Py with me right now to check.
Flash To Ren'Py Exporter
See the Cookbook thread

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Use $renpy.pause() after each panel.

qualiatte

#4 Post by qualiatte »

Pause worked, thank you