Main menu generator (ver 1.15)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

Re: UI enabled main menu generator (ver 1.3)

#16 Post by JQuartz »

EvilDragon wrote:That's a lot of pessimism ^^'
Although I must admit I'm a pessimist, that isn't the reason behind the statement. Actually I'm just bored of the script for the time being.

Anyway if you actually do make significant changes to the script, you don't need to name it JQuartz_long_suffix_thingy. If you're like me than name it after yourself, otherwise just rename it Main Menu Editor.

EvilDragon looks like your version of main menu generator does not have as much function as my latest creation(At first post) Your generator looks better though.

EDIT: Added some missing words. Nothing much.
Last edited by JQuartz on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

Re: UI enabled main menu generator (ver 1.5-Completed!)

#17 Post by JQuartz »

JQuartz wrote:On an not so related matter, feel free to edit and take full credit for the editor/generator if I don't come back/post anything within a month's time (counting from tomorrow) and if anyone feels that the generator is worth the trouble to improve.
Well this offer had expired (sorry you can't modify the main menu generator like last time anymore EvilDragon) since it's nearly completed. So don't edit this file and take credit for it. The offer was available last time because the script was only halfway done and very buggy. Now this script is 95% done and all bugs that I've found have been ironed out. It's downloadable in first post.
JQuartz wrote:Actually I'm just bored of the script for the time being.
On retrospec, I've realized that the real reason for not completing the generator is not because I was bored but rather I was intimidated by the complexity of the code. Now that I like to make complex stuff to keep my mind busy, I finally decided to complete it.
PyTom wrote:At some point, however, we may want to include this in the Ren'Py distribution
Is this good enough already? If I add anymore function, I think it'll become too complex to be user friendly anymore.

On a not so related matter, I don't get to access internet for around a week (I've been accessing internet using a relative's laptop, which he wants to take to school in another 6 hours) So if I didn't reply to your posts or PM, don't think I have already been murdered.

Seems like I got connected again. It's great since it's not even a week which I thought was going to be the period I'm offline. Not only that, I also completed the main menu generator. Hooray!
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Q_x

#18 Post by Q_x »

Hope It'll be included in main release, really useful tool.
Great job.
Thanks.

Only feature I could dream of is making bitmap/animated menus easier and shifting whole menu with mouse drag not with RC-like menu with arrows in all directions.

In general - as I see it - including this into mainstream releases will make huge tension (started now?) to make more tools of this kind - usable wizard-like things. To set up colors or texts or whole interface and so on, with the target of making completely visually flexible, customizable UI with possibly bitmap/animated anything.
So maybe a chapter like "customizing all aspects of game interface" covering internationalization, setting up bitmap/animated buttons in UI boxes and so on (I know there are some hints in cookbook) in "normal" manner will make things much easier?

Cheers,
Luke

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by JQuartz »

Q_x wrote:Only feature I could dream of is making bitmap/animated menus easier and shifting whole menu with mouse drag not with RC-like menu with arrows in all directions
I've wanted to do this in the first place but I don't think it can be done in the first place so I made the RC-like menu.
Q_x wrote:Hope It'll be included in main release, really useful tool.
Great job.
Thanks.
Happy to hear that. But still no reply from Pytom though so I don't know it'll be included in main release.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#20 Post by JQuartz »

Anyone find the main menu generator too complex to be user friendly? Pytom, what happened to the polls?

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by JQuartz »

Well if nobody thinks this is too complicated I'll add the features activate sound and animatiion (mugenjohncel made me realize that animated buttons and sounds are important for a main menu as well)

Q_x

#22 Post by Q_x »

Well, this is really simple tool now. God bless you if you add the additional features.

Cheers,
Luke

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by JQuartz »

Q_x wrote:Well, this is really simple tool now.
Simple? Thatl's good to hear cause I don't really want to make a documentation or tutorial for it.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Main menu generator (ver 1.6-Completed!)

#24 Post by JQuartz »

Well if nobody thinks this is too complicated I'll add the features activate sound and animatiion (mugenjohncel made me realize that animated buttons and sounds are important for a main menu as well)
Yeah I've added the functions to make animated button (Version 1.6 is out and can be downloaded at the first post)but it a lot more work than I expected. (Adding the function added 300 kb of data, that's 3 times the original data size...)

Oh and I didn't beta test this generator so if anyone is willing to beta test this thing(by making main menus) then I'll be thankful. If any bugs is found, please post them here. Thanks in advance.

reaktor
Regular

#25 Post by reaktor »

I'd really like to see this kind of project to be forked for general ui-generator . This generator could be then used for generating ui which could be called with overlay on init. It would be nice to see this kind of simple editor for generating overlay gui, for say, dating sim / rpg.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#26 Post by JQuartz »

reaktor wrote:I'd really like to see this kind of project to be forked for general ui-generator
Eh...maybe not now but if I feel I'm up to it, maybe someday...

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#27 Post by JQuartz »

Every time I see a someone posting a problem about the main menu, I'm kind of worried that it was this generator that caused the problem. So if anyone was using this generator and after it generated the main menu and you start the game again, and it crashes, please post it here. I want to clear out any bugs there's still in this generator...Thanks in advance...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#28 Post by Watercolorheart »

How do I make an animated button using this?
I'm not even the same person anymore

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by JQuartz »

Click on 'Start Button' or any other button you want to make into a animated button. Then click on 'Change Frame' or 'Change Frame (Hovered)' (depending on which state you want to change) then click on 'Animation'. Then follow the instructions. Repeat for all buttons that you want to be made into animated buttons.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#30 Post by Watercolorheart »

Got it.
I'm not even the same person anymore