How do I find the specific line on my script?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ojisan

How do I find the specific line on my script?

#1 Post by ojisan »

Hello fellow VN creators:

I'm working on a problem that has held up my game development for weeks. I keep getting an error message that says that line 295 "is not terminated with a newline (check quotes and parenthesis)." So my question is: how do I find line 295? I've been poring over my script for hours, and cannot seem to find the error. This is getting frustrating, as I'd rather be working on my artwork or story than being stuck looking for a mismatched quotation mark or parenthesis.

BTW, I'm working on a game set in Hawaii. That's where I live, and so it is easy for me to step outside, take photos, and convert them to cartoons. Nothing exotic and it'll be from the point of view of a local. I'm taking the advice I've read on this board and starting short and simple.

Also, I'd really recommend making a GUI for ren'py. It's a good program, but needs to be more user-friendly so that even noobs like me can easily make a VN without worrying about poring over error messages. :cry:

I truly appreciate your help! Keep up the good work everyone.

Twar3Draconis
Regular

Re: How do I find the specific line on my script?

#2 Post by Twar3Draconis »

Can you not just give us the line 295? The version of SciTE/Script Editor Thingy that comes with RenPy and opens from the launcher should have numbers displayed in your code. Failing that, please upload your script.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Adorya »

Any text editor should have a command to go to the specified line (CTRL+G for notepad with break line option disabled), Scite can also display the line number.

Raikiri
Regular

#4 Post by Raikiri »

Uploading the script file is good idea, there are several members here (myself included) who would be willing to help you out. Getting syntax right can be a major pain in the ass if you're new to programming, not to mention deciphering cryptic error messages... :P
Ojisan wrote:Also, I'd really recommend making a GUI for ren'py.
While a GUI for Ren'Py isn't on the horizon as far as I know, one of the members seem to be working on an alternate game engine. You can check out this thread if you're interested, but I have no idea when it'll be finished.
Last edited by Raikiri on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

ojisan

#5 Post by ojisan »

Thanks everyone. Here's my script. I have no idea how to find a specific line. I tinkered some more and found a solitary quotation mark and got rid of the line 295 problem, but something is still wrong. Any help would be appreciated. :D

How does one find the line? I copied and pasted this into MS word and used the control-G function, but I could not find the error. I use a Mac BTW.

Please forgive the poor writing. This is a first draft after all, and since I'm a no-programmer, I'm building my game on the framework of "The Question". Once this is done, I'll buy my Wacom Bamboo fun graphics tablet and get back into drawing manga.

Thank you,

Ojisan
Attachments
script.rpy
(20.89 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

Raikiri
Regular

#6 Post by Raikiri »

OK, I went through it and fixed a few errors in the script, mostly indention mismatches and a couple of cases where you forgot to use a backslash in front a quotation mark, e.g

Code: Select all

"Then tell me if I"m crazy."
## Produces an error
instead of

Code: Select all

"Then tell me if I\"m crazy."
## No errors, crisis adverted!
As for the indention mismatches (the red circle), I guess the only real advice I can give you is to make sure that your code looks "even", but it would be easier if you had an editor like SciTE that displays the line number next to the code. It makes it easier to find errors, since the traceback always gives you the number of the line where the error lies.

As I use a PC I'm not really in the know when it comes to mac-based programming-friendly text editors, but at least one member here use macs and I believe there is a thread around here with a few links.

That's as much as I could do without the rest of your project files at hand, I hope it helps.
Attachments
script.rpy
The new and improved script file!
(20.89 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

ojisan

#7 Post by ojisan »

Raikiri

Thanks a lot! Now I can get down to the business of working on a game. I owe you one! Tell me if you need anything translated into/from Japanese (wife and I are fluent in the language) or if you want info about Hawaii.

Thanks for the comments about the script. I'm starting small as I saw too many unfinished games in this forum and realized that it is too easy to bite off more than one can chew. So it's going to be focus on one person, and keep the action to a minimum. I"ll try to keep a Hawaii flavor throughout the game.

Thanks,

Jayson

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

I might have missed it but... did you say what you use to type your code?

ojisan

#9 Post by ojisan »

Monele

I use texteditor (on a macintosh) to type my code. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

J

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

It's strange... I think another mac user has a similar problem and I *think* someone managed to make SciTe work on it?... or maybe another program...

Hmm... here's someone else with the same problem and no solution : http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... mac+editor

Aaah, here's something better ^_^
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... mac+editor

I hope it helps :) Let us know if it does.

ojisan

#11 Post by ojisan »

Monele,

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded smultron and it seems to work much better than my mac Textedit program.

Everyone, thanks for your help! :D I"m glad I stopped lurking and posted my question. Now I can get to the business of creating a visual novel instead of hours proofreading script.

Just need to get a bamboo fun (medium) graphics tablet and I can start drawing cartoons.

J