Designing screens

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Bootleg Girl

Designing screens

#1 Post by Bootleg Girl »

I hope that I've found the right forum for this mechanic. I've been picking apart the tutorials and sample screens to figure out how to best design my own, and I'm just posting here to see if I can confirm some things. I'm not asking anyone to script anything for me, I'm merely going to describe my project for contexts' sake.

So I'm writing an RPG battle system and trying to make it so that the "battle" screen is three rows on the left and one in a right column. So, something like this:

It looks like this is going to require me to make rows within a column. Is this even possible? I've created some simpler screens just fine and the screen language is quite intuitive, but I just want to get some advice on how to make this work.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Designing screens

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I don't think I'd stress about that. I think I'd make a player's Party screen, and make it the size that I want, and then place it at the bottom left of the game. Samd thing with the actions screen, the map screen and the enemies screen.

When you go into a battle, then you just show all those individual screens that you made.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#3 Post by Anima »

You can nest a hbox into a vbox to combine a row with a column layout.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

octacon100
Regular
Projects: Regeria Hope
Organization: Golden Game Barn
IRC Nick: Octacon100

#4 Post by octacon100 »

I'd try using grids, they seem to do what you want:

grid 5 2 would give you a grid with 5 columns and 2 rows. Hopefully something like that will help.

Edit: Not sure if I read all of you issue, but yeah, multiple screens will be a very big help too. You'll want to keep each screen and it's code in a separate rpy file, maybe. I use multiple screens for all the buttons and inventory systems I put on the screen in my games, it works well. You'll get used to having a lot of 'Show("screenname") and Hide("screenname") in your button code.
Current Digital Projects -
Regiera Hope Completed Game Forum Post

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by xela »

octacon100 wrote:
grid
== Evil! :D
Anima wrote:You can nest a hbox into a vbox to combine a row with a column layout.
is the WTG.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Bootleg Girl

#6 Post by Bootleg Girl »

octacon100 wrote:I'd try using grids, they seem to do what you want:

grid 5 2 would give you a grid with 5 columns and 2 rows. Hopefully something like that will help.

Edit: Not sure if I read all of you issue, but yeah, multiple screens will be a very big help too. You'll want to keep each screen and it's code in a separate rpy file, maybe. I use multiple screens for all the buttons and inventory systems I put on the screen in my games, it works well. You'll get used to having a lot of 'Show("screenname") and Hide("screenname") in your button code.
Ohhh, so like, do the top bar as a screen, the bottom bar as a screen, the right bar as a screen, then have a function that displays them all at once?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#7 Post by trooper6 »

That's what I do. It seems like it would be easiest.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

octacon100
Regular
Projects: Regeria Hope
Organization: Golden Game Barn
IRC Nick: Octacon100

#8 Post by octacon100 »

== Evil! :D
I get it, hbox and vbox would be easier to set up, since it's very obvious what your code is doing. Would be interested to hear why grids are evil? I'm currently using them in my old inventory screen, so I'd like to know if I'm missing something that is going to shoot me in the foot later.
Current Digital Projects -
Regiera Hope Completed Game Forum Post