problem with image on background

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
edwardelricwife

problem with image on background

#1 Post by edwardelricwife »

i don t know why, when i superpose characters on background, there's white all around them
i can't get it off :shock:
how can i do to make this white transparent?
is there a software?

pleaaaaase help meeeeeee :!:

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: problem with image on background

#2 Post by monele »

You need a program that can make images with transparency. Examples are : Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Painter, Open Canvas, SAI, The Gimp.
How you achieve transparency in these programs is specific to each... but usually involves creating a new empty "layer" and pasting a picture in them. Or selecting white parts with a Magic Wand tools and removing them.

Oh, you also need to save pictures as PNG, since it's the only format to retain proper transparency :)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#3 Post by chronoluminaire »

For example, in The GIMP:
1) Open your character image.
2) Select the menu item "Layer" -> "Transparency" -> "Add alpha channel"
3) Press "Z" or click the Magic Wand tool in the toolkit
4) Click on one of the white bits you want to remove
5) Select the menu item "Edit" -> "Clear". (The white bit should turn to a grey checkerboard pattern.)
6) Repeat steps 4-5 for each white bit to remove.
7) Save the image with a ".png" extension.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

edwardelricwife

#4 Post by edwardelricwife »

thanks a lot, it really helps me ^^

i promess you a great dating game!!!!!! lol

Remmak

#5 Post by Remmak »

How would you do this in SAI? I'm going to be scanning in my line art and working off of that, so how would I make sure that the background is transparent and only my digital painting is showing?

eezergoode
Regular

#6 Post by eezergoode »

I'm no artist, but I would think that doing it in layers other than the original scan would be the way to go... then jsut delete the first layer, with the scanned image, leaving the others, with your digital work.
Eezergoode - AKA Rabid Penguin
Team Lead

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius
Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

Remmak

#7 Post by Remmak »

eezergoode wrote:I'm no artist, but I would think that doing it in layers other than the original scan would be the way to go... then jsut delete the first layer, with the scanned image, leaving the others, with your digital work.
I tried that and it's not working. I'm not very familiar with this program. Maybe I have to use a certain setting in layers? I usually do my lineart in a top layer with colors under and then flatten it...