Can I have "Quit Game", on the Main Menu, prompt?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Tage
Regular

Can I have "Quit Game", on the Main Menu, prompt?

#1 Post by Tage »

As of now, the "Quit Game" just exits the game without prompting "Yes" or "No" for quitting. I want to know if I can make it prompt like it does from inside the "Continue Game" screen.

Right now, I have "Quit Game" point to my own label that uses an imagemap to prompt the exit.

Also, when I say "No" on the "Continue Game" screen exit prompt, it takes me back to the game instead of the "Continue Game" screen. Is there any way to "correct" this?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Can I have "Quit Game", on the Main Menu, prom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Tage wrote:As of now, the "Quit Game" just exits the game without prompting "Yes" or "No" for quitting. I want to know if I can make it prompt like it does from inside the "Continue Game" screen.
If you change library.main_menu to point to _confirm_quit rather than _quit, it should work.
Also, when I say "No" on the "Continue Game" screen exit prompt, it takes me back to the game instead of the "Continue Game" screen. Is there any way to "correct" this?
Not really. The problem is, Ren'Py doesn't keep a memory of how you got to quit. If you think of "Load", "Save", "Preferences" and "Quit" as tabs in a more normal application, you can sort of get how this works.

Tage
Regular

#3 Post by Tage »

Once again, it sounded so obvious, lol. :? It does pull up a prompt as said; however, both "Yes" and "No" close the program. :cry: I guess I'll stick with my imagemap. (took me a while to make anyway, rofl :lol: )

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

And, in retrospect, I can see why both close the program. You really need to make it something like:

Code: Select all

label confirm_quit:
    call _confirm_quit
    jump main_menu
Otherwise, even if you don't confirm the quit, you fall of the edge of the world, and Ren'Py automatically closes in that case.

--
Finishing up the documentation for 4.3.

Tage
Regular

#5 Post by Tage »

Awesome, it all works perfectly now. :D Thank you!

goodbye silly imagemap prompt... :cry: :arrow: :twisted: