[SOLVED] Trying to make an indicator that moves along a bar

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
webryder
Regular

[SOLVED] Trying to make an indicator that moves along a bar

#1 Post by webryder »

Hi all,

I think that this is a bar question but I'm not sure, so sorry if I'm using the wrong language.

I'm trying to set up a bar, kind of like a number line ranging from -100 to 100, with an indicator that moves based on where the current value of a score variable is. In other words, if the player has -20 on that value the indicator would move to -20 on the bar. If the player gains 30 points their indicator would move to +10. The bar doesn't fill or empty, the indicator moves along the bar showing the score, which can go up or down.

Trouble is I've been reading through all the bar information and I'm kind of lost on how to set this up. It seems like everything is about bars that fill up.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Last edited by webryder on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Trying to make an indicator that moves along a bar

#2 Post by philat »

Just have the bar have one image for both empty and full, then use an appropriate thumb for the indicator.

webryder
Regular

#3 Post by webryder »

OK, I got the bar and the indicator to show up, but I'm still having problems. Here is the code I am using in my screens.rpy area to display the bar:

Code: Select all

bar value VariableValue(PC_Target, 100):
        xalign 0.5 yalign 0.815
        xmaximum 338
        ymaximum 23
        left_bar Frame("art/gui/pc/PCAffinity_Bar.png", 10, 0)
        right_bar Frame("art/gui/pc/PCAffinity_Bar.png", 10, 0)
        left_gutter 4
        right_gutter 4
        thumb "art/gui/pc/PCAffinity_Indicator.png"

PC_Target is a variable defined earlier and it looks like it's working.

Here's what the bar looks like:
[img]Bar_example.png[/img]

The problems seem to be:

1. The bar is supposed to range from -100 to +100. The code is reading the far left position as 0 rather than the middle. How do I tell it that the range is -100 to +100?
2. How do I get the indicator/slider to line up with the bar (it should be a little higher).
3. Why is the indicator hiding the bar? It's a png with a transparent background (and the transparency is working because you can see the mocha color behind it, but for some reason it is hiding the bar.

Thanks!
Attachments
Bar example
Bar example
Bar_example.png (4.16 KiB) Viewed 909 times

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philat »

1. You don't, afaik. Make it a range of 0-200 and convert it as needed.

2. Editing the thumb image probably the easiest. It looks like you have blank space on top of the thumb image that makes it longer than it needs to be.

3. http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style_pro ... umb_offset

webryder
Regular

#5 Post by webryder »

Looks like it's working now!

Thanks for the suggestions, philat!