Dress up game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Cherub

Dress up game

#1 Post by Cherub » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Hello everyone!

I just DLed Ren'Py and I was curious to know if it's possible to make a dress up game with it? Is there any tutorial? I'm still Lv. 1 at it haha... Or is there any other software you'd recommend for that instead of Ren'Py?

I wanted to make something simple, or a dress up game or a short VN... Right now I have no idea how to start... :(

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Dress up game

#2 Post by SundownKid » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:20 pm

If by that you mean "click a button and the outfit changes", then yes it is. You have to make a Screen with several layers, the bottom being the character and the upper layers being the possible clothing images (set by a conditional branch to a certain variable).

Then you make the buttons set whatever variable you are using to a certain value. And when you click the button, the variable will make the clothes appear on the character.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Dress up game

#3 Post by trooper6 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:32 pm

If you just downloaded Ren'py, my first recommendation would be to read through the QuickStart:
http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quickstart.html

and then create a little test game where you do the very, very basics: Have a bit of text, have a background and some sprites, and have them move around. Use a menu. Use a variable. If you use free sprites and backgrounds (which you can get in the Creative Commons section), you can probably do this over a weekend.

Once you've done that, then move on to your more complicated project. Don't forget to check the Cookbook. For example, in the cookbook is an example of a dress up game for you do use:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=14559

Welcome to Renpy!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978