Node Based Compass Style Exploration?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Justme8800

Node Based Compass Style Exploration?

#1 Post by Justme8800 »

Hi,

I want to make a "game" with the Ren'py engine, and I could use a little guidance. I watched Eileen's demo, and looked through the script, so I think I've got a bit of a grasp on how to make the characters say all sorts of things.

What I want to do is design a game based on exploration, rather like the way Myst works, leaving characters and dialogue for later. I would want it to use a "node" system, where the player would be able to look east, west, north, and south and move to neighboring nodes. Using the mouse like Myst does isn't necessary to the gameplay, arrow keys or screen options would be ok, but it would be cool if it could be done.

My question is, are there any demo games like this that have already figured out the basic coding structure, that I could use as a guide? If not, how would you do it? I could probably figure it out myself if I put enough time into it, but if someone who's better at it has already done so, I'd like to see their source. I'm not exactly an experienced coder (as is apparent from a simple question as this), and if anyone could offer some tips I'd be most grateful. Thank you!

~Justme8800

PS, I'm using OSX, in case that would matter to any solutions, though it oughtn't to.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Node Based Compass Style Exploration?

#2 Post by DaFool »

are there any demo games like this
Monele's Warp Onsen / MB II Initial framework:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 786#p31786

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

You beat me to it :). I'm not perfectly sure it's what you want but hm... it should be able to do what you're looking for. A few modifications might make it even more suited to your plan.

Ocircuit
Regular

#4 Post by Ocircuit »

this was something I eventually wanted to do also, but since I really am clueless when it comes to renpy and I've got 2 projects already in the works I wasn't going to even think about starting it yet, but I'm glad theres a format layed out already!