Sound stutter with ren'py games

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
LeRan

Sound stutter with ren'py games

#1 Post by LeRan »

Hello forum,

I've been experiencing some weird but consistent sound stuttering on all ren'py games I've tried so far (namely : Loren, Katawa Shoujo, Sunrider). I tried to update my sound card driver (SoundMAX HD audio) and DirectX just in case but to no avail. The sound plays smoothly on all other games that I can recall.

Surprisingly, I can not find any help on internet: is that a known ren'py issue? Or is my system just too old for ren'py (I still use Windows XP SP3).

Regards

LeRan

Re: Sound stutter with ren'py games

#2 Post by LeRan »

Oops, this should go to "Ren'Py Questions and Announcements". Sorry, first post here.

LeRan

#3 Post by LeRan »

... or is it that my computer is just too slow to run ren'py based games smoothly? (old AMD 64 dual core 2,6 GHz) If that's true, blah, I knew python was CPU intensive, but not to this extent...

LeRan

#4 Post by LeRan »

All right, I finally found the (stupidly simple) answer after several (unduely long) hours of investigations : sound stuttering stops when "material acceleration" is on in "sound settings" (or whatever it's called in English). Well, now the internet knows.

Still weird that it is only noticeable in ren'py games.

Anyway, if some mod can move that thread to the appropriate topic...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Move done. I have no idea what "Material acceleration" even is.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom