Ren'Py 6.99 Prereleases

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: Ren'Py 6.99 Prereleases

#31 Post by nyaatrap »

Does drag&drop still update in real time? To me, draggables jump to a drop position without moving.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#32 Post by PyTom »

It should, but the first prerelease had a huge number of performance issues that the next prerelease should deal with.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#33 Post by PyTom »

6.99.0.244)

Sorry about the long delay between prereleases. Apart from some family medical problems that slowed me down, the first prerelease proved to have a lot of hard problems, and I wanted to fix them all before I released again. I think I managed to fix all the problems reported in this thread, as well as those reported at github and elsewhere, but for some of the problems I had to make an educated guess as to what to fixed.

The changes include:

Updated Spanish and Japanese translations.

Ren'Py now uses the integrated GPU on macs by default, to save power on laptops.

PNG writing has been fixed.

A number of drag and drop issues have been fixed, and the new drag_offscreen property has been added to allow drags to be dragged partially offscreen.

The ATL contains statement has been improved - it now copies transforms when showing them. (Similar to the way the show statement does.) An issue has been fixes where ATL would run a transform during prediction, and "lock in" the values at that time - even if the values changed between prediction and show. That's been fixed.

The onscreen keyboard is now re-opened on Android if the user closes it during an input statement.

We use FBOs to do render-to-texture on Android. Hopefully, this will fix the Dissolve problem on Android lollipop that people have been reporting. (Please let me know if this fixes the problem.)

The renpy.copy_save function has been added.

Ren'Py now corrects absurd file timestamps when creating a zipfile.

A Space Whale-sized memory leak has been fixed. (A self-reference was preventing surfaces from being garbage collected by the reference-counting collector, but the memory in those surfaces was being allocated by SDL, not Python, so the Python cyclic GC wouldn't run.)

Skipping will no longer prevent Ren'Py from processing keyboard events (like the key to stop skipping).

Ren'Py will now detect infinite loops and report them as an exception. (Only in Ren'Py code.)

The longstanding imagemap cache problem has been fixed.

You can get 6.99 by switching to the prerelease channel and updating, or visiting http://www.renpy.org/release/6.99 . Thanks to everyone who reported bugs - your work made Ren'Py much better, by finding things I couldn't. And thanks in advance to everyone who reports bugs in .244 - hopefully fewer this time.

crimsonnight
Veteran

#34 Post by crimsonnight »

PyTom wrote:6.99.0.244)

Sorry about the long delay between prereleases. Apart from some family medical problems that slowed me down, the first prerelease proved to have a lot of hard problems, and I wanted to fix them all before I released again. I think I managed to fix all the problems reported in this thread, as well as those reported at github and elsewhere, but for some of the problems I had to make an educated guess as to what to fixed.

The changes include:

Updated Spanish and Japanese translations.

Ren'Py now uses the integrated GPU on macs by default, to save power on laptops.

PNG writing has been fixed.

A number of drag and drop issues have been fixed, and the new drag_offscreen property has been added to allow drags to be dragged partially offscreen.

The ATL contains statement has been improved - it now copies transforms when showing them. (Similar to the way the show statement does.) An issue has been fixes where ATL would run a transform during prediction, and "lock in" the values at that time - even if the values changed between prediction and show. That's been fixed.

The onscreen keyboard is now re-opened on Android if the user closes it during an input statement.

We use FBOs to do render-to-texture on Android. Hopefully, this will fix the Dissolve problem on Android lollipop that people have been reporting. (Please let me know if this fixes the problem.)

The renpy.copy_save function has been added.

Ren'Py now corrects absurd file timestamps when creating a zipfile.

A Space Whale-sized memory leak has been fixed. (A self-reference was preventing surfaces from being garbage collected by the reference-counting collector, but the memory in those surfaces was being allocated by SDL, not Python, so the Python cyclic GC wouldn't run.)

Skipping will no longer prevent Ren'Py from processing keyboard events (like the key to stop skipping).

Ren'Py will now detect infinite loops and report them as an exception. (Only in Ren'Py code.)

The longstanding imagemap cache problem has been fixed.

You can get 6.99 by switching to the prerelease channel and updating, or visiting http://www.renpy.org/release/6.99 . Thanks to everyone who reported bugs - your work made Ren'Py much better, by finding things I couldn't. And thanks in advance to everyone who reports bugs in .244 - hopefully fewer this time.
Thanks Tom, I'll be able to check if the transition issue on Lollipop has been fixed later :)
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#35 Post by jack_norton »

Unfortunately the crash I have at end of any game (or exiting launcher) is still there even in the latest version :(
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#36 Post by PyTom »

Can you send me one of the games built with the new release? On what platform are you getting the crash?

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#37 Post by nyaatrap »

The drag&drop issue is still possessed on me. I don't know what triggers this behavior on my script. I'll look up on it later (I tried several thing but no clue now. It's on dorepara which I released. In this game, after hiding the window allows dragging a sprite).

crimsonnight
Veteran

#38 Post by crimsonnight »

The screen flipping issue on Lollipop has been solved as well as the keyboard issue, so it seems there are no longer any big issues on android, great work!
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#39 Post by PyTom »

crimsonnight wrote:The screen flipping issue on Lollipop has been solved as well as the keyboard issue, so it seems there are no longer any big issues on android, great work!
Thanks! Reports of fixed bugs and successes are very useful.
nyaatrap wrote:The drag&drop issue is still possessed on me. I don't know what triggers this behavior on my script. I'll look up on it later (I tried several thing but no clue now. It's on dorepara which I released. In this game, after hiding the window allows dragging a sprite).
I was able to repeat this, so I'll look into it soon.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#40 Post by Samu-kun »

Good news, the memory leak appears to be fixed.

nyaatrap's drag&drop bug also happens in Sunrider Academy.

Also, I've noticed that holding ctrl now scrolls the text much slower... Maybe about 20% of the previous speed.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#41 Post by jack_norton »

Just thought to let you know that my issue was 99% due to video drivers, I downgraded to some older one (but more stable) and the problem went away! :) Damn ATi cards... :D
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Dharker
Regular

#42 Post by Dharker »

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has tested the steam achievements yet? I would like to test the achievements on my sword of asumi game, but following the documentation I figured once the steam achievement is setup (named: intro_killing) then I would simply need to input:

Code: Select all

if people_killed == 2:
        achievement.grant(intro_killing)
Yet adding this in pulls an error on startup:
File "game/prologue.rpy", line 132: expected statement.
achievement.grant(intro_killing)
I'm probably being stupid, please enlighten me if i am.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#43 Post by PyTom »

A working version of that code is:

Code: Select all

if people_killed == 2:
        $ achievement.grant("intro_killing")
Note that I haven't released the steam files yet, due to busyness, so this won't sync to steam quite yet.

Dharker
Regular

#44 Post by Dharker »

Thanks for working version, its great to see I was just being stupid, and adding steam achievements will be easy

Sorry for pre-empting the steam part, I thought they were included in this pre-release. I will eagerly await those being added so i can test the syncing with steam.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#45 Post by Zetsubou »

Renpy 6.99.0.244
Xubuntu 14.04 (xfwm 4.12, also tested with xfwm 4.11)

When I swap workspaces, the Renpy launcher and any games I'm running will follow me to the new workspace.
This did not happen in 6.18 (haven't tested on any other 6.99 pre-releases), and toggling workspace visibility or restarting the Renpy launcher doesn't help.
I'm guessing this is an SDL2 issue, but surely the default behavior shouldn't be to always be on the active workspace?
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games