Ren'Py 6.99 Prereleases

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py 6.99 Prereleases

#106 Post by PyTom »

Just call renpy.not_infinite_loop() each time you go through the loop, to let Ren'Py know you're actually making progress.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#107 Post by Samu-kun »

Eh that causes a traceback.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 94, in script call
    "..."
  File "game/dayloops.rpy", line 7289, in script call
    call act_clubs from _call_act_clubs_98
  File "game/activities.rpy", line 404, in script call
    call clubtime_events from _call_clubtime_events
  File "game/script.rpy", line 16646, in script
    $ renpy.not_infinite_loop()
  File "game/script.rpy", line 16646, in <module>
TypeError: not_infinite_loop() takes exactly 1 argument (0 given)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 94, in script call
    "..."
  File "game/dayloops.rpy", line 7289, in script call
    call act_clubs from _call_act_clubs_98
  File "game/activities.rpy", line 404, in script call
    call clubtime_events from _call_clubtime_events
  File "game/script.rpy", line 16646, in script
  File "D:\Google Drive\Sunrider Academy\renpy-6.99.0-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 785, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "D:\Google Drive\Sunrider Academy\renpy-6.99.0-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1432, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/script.rpy", line 16646, in <module>
TypeError: not_infinite_loop() takes exactly 1 argument (0 given)

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.0.271
SunriderAcademy AsagaM6

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#108 Post by PyTom »

Sorry, it takes an amount of time. So use something like:

$ renpy.not_infinite_loop(10)

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#109 Post by Arowana »

Thanks for the update, PyTom! The text interpolation example I posted before is indeed working now, so thank you very much! I really appreciate your help. :D

However, I now have issues with this variant of the same example. If I put the text inside a vbox, then put the vbox inside a frame, the interpolated text once again disappears.

screen location_screen(): 
    frame:    
        vbox:
            text "Vbox in Frame."
            text "My location is [location]."

label start:
    $ location = "home"
    show screen location_screen
    e "The screen isn't showing all my text."
Would it be possible to extend the fix to this case as well? Sorry for the trouble - I've put a lot of my vboxes/hboxes in frames or windows, so that's why I bring it up. ^^;

I've found another issue that is more minor, but still a bit odd. It involves a bar with AnimatedValue. Here is a simple example:

screen HPbar():
    bar value AnimatedValue(value = hp, range = 100, delay = 0.3, old_value = None)
    text "HP [hp]"

label start:
    $ hp = 100
    show screen HPbar
    "My HP is full."
    $ hp -= 10
    "Ouch, that hurt."
    $ hp -= 20
    "Ow, that hurt too!"
    show screen HPbar
    "Hey, I didn't heal yet! Why did my HP bar refill?"
    return
Basically when the HPbar screen is shown a second time, the bar refills even though "hp" has not changed. Any idea why this happens?
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#110 Post by PyTom »

6.99.0.279)

This fixes Arowana's two issues. The first was due to me failing to propagate the failure information introduced in the last prerelease, while the second was due to renpy.show_screen using update (as opposed to show) semantics, but still resetting the shown timebase. Both have been fixed. Although I don't think so, the second change might affect screens with a lot of ATL, so if people with complex screens could test, I'd appreciate it.

It also fixes a problem reported by Samu, where Ren'Py would crash when playing certain ogg files from archives.

If people could test this release one last time, I'd appreciate it. My feeling is that we're getting very close to code that's release-worthy, and we're already likely better that 6.18 - and so the sooner I can get out a release, the sooner people can start benefitting from 6.99's improvements.

Dharker
Regular

#111 Post by Dharker »

Hi, was just wondering if there is a lot of work that needs to be done to a standard game (no extras, just a basic multi-choice/multi-ending visual novel) to use this version to release for ios and android. Or if generally the game should work perfectly and just needs to be packaged using the ios/android Distributions? If that makes sense?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#112 Post by PyTom »

Dharker wrote:Hi, was just wondering if there is a lot of work that needs to be done to a standard game (no extras, just a basic multi-choice/multi-ending visual novel) to use this version to release for ios and android. Or if generally the game should work perfectly and just needs to be packaged using the ios/android Distributions? If that makes sense?
That's a hard to answer question.

With the exception of video, the game should work the same on iOS and Android, and video can be converted - if you even want to include video in a package that's going to be sent to mobile users.

The problem is with the interface. The default interface is designed for computers with mice or trackpads, both very precise pointing devices. When you try and use that interface on a phone (or to a lesser extent, tablet) using your fingers, you may not be able to get that level of precision. There are also other ways in which the default interface isn't quite suitable for mobile - for example, the iOS guidelines say your app may not have a quit button.

So you'll have to customize the UI in order to get a quality ios and android version.

Auro-Cyanide and I have already started working on a new default theme and screens that will be mobile friendly. (And by that I mean she's done all the work, and I've done very little yet.) That'll be the big change in 7.0. For now, you have to do the interface work yourself.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#113 Post by jack_norton »

For a "standard VN" porting to mobile is quite simple I'd say. Remember to enlarge the text (dialogue/button) but apart that and what Pytom said, is a walk in the park compared to some game I had the "pleasure" to port (like the RPGs... madness and not worth it :lol:)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#114 Post by Arowana »

PyTom wrote:6.99.0.279)

This fixes Arowana's two issues. The first was due to me failing to propagate the failure information introduced in the last prerelease, while the second was due to renpy.show_screen using update (as opposed to show) semantics, but still resetting the shown timebase. Both have been fixed. Although I don't think so, the second change might affect screens with a lot of ATL, so if people with complex screens could test, I'd appreciate it.

It also fixes a problem reported by Samu, where Ren'Py would crash when playing certain ogg files from archives.

If people could test this release one last time, I'd appreciate it. My feeling is that we're getting very close to code that's release-worthy, and we're already likely better that 6.18 - and so the sooner I can get out a release, the sooner people can start benefitting from 6.99's improvements.
Thanks for the update, PyTom! My previous issues are indeed fixed. All my screens with ATL are also working fine, so no problems so far there. :D

I did find one more issue, though, related once again to text interpolation in a screen. Here is an example.

screen location_screen(): 
    text "[location]" xalign 0.0
    frame:    
        text "Frame: [location]" xalign 0.5
        vbox:
            xalign 0.9
            text "Vbox in Frame: [location]." 

label start:
    $ location = "home"
    show screen location_screen
    e "This screen works great."
    $ location = "school"
    with dissolve
    e "But after a dissolve, my location doesn't always update."
Basically if I try to change the interpolated text "location" with a dissolve transition, the text in the frame/vbox doesn't update (the text directly under the screen is fine). If I take out the dissolve transition, then everything updates normally. Not a big issue since I can always take out the dissolve, but I still wonder why it's happening.

Sorry that I keep bringing up more of these interpolated text issues! They're all coming from the same part in my game, but every time I try to isolate the problem and write a simpler example, it seems like I leave out a different aspect that is still important. :oops: Hopefully this will be the last time I bring it up.

crimsonnight
Veteran

#115 Post by crimsonnight »

Hey Tom, just wanted to let you know that philip has confirmed compatibility with older versions of the Mac OS has been restored - thanks :)
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#116 Post by jack_norton »

Unfortunately in this last update I found several problems not present before:
1) in my game main menu, pressing shift+R doesn't reload the game somehow. During a dialogue or other screens inside the game works. I haven't touched anything in that part (even tried with Loren's code that is untouched since 2 years) and I have same behavior.
2) In my menu I had textbuttons like:

textbutton _("{size=40}Register game{/size}") style "default" text_style "maintxt" xcenter .35 yalign .8 action Jump("about") at tfadein(.75)
before, the game would correctly jump at the label. Even now it does that, but something has changed, the main menu remains visible in foreground, even if I hide it in the first lines of that label:

label about:
    scene i_buyme
    hide screen main_menu
    with dissolve
if I put a text like "TEST" after the first scene, the dialogue box shows with that text. But the main menu still stays fixed in the foreground. So I'm not sure how I am supposed to hide it ?
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

greeeed
Deviantart: greeeed

#117 Post by greeeed »

About shift+R, if your keyboard not in English it won't work out (At-least for for me) so I doubt there is problem with it.

Anyway, for some reason If I make new game with Arabic template, the game will crush if I click on "preference" button.

Error log:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Exception: Could not find font 'tl/None/AdvertisingBold.ttf'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 29, in script
    $ ui.interact()
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 785, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 29, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 247, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2149, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2478, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 1677, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "render.pyx", line 363, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen\renpy.display.render.c:5330)
  File "render.pyx", line 174, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2537)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 618, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "render.pyx", line 98, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2849)
  File "render.pyx", line 174, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2537)
  File "render.pyx", line 98, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2849)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 598, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 378, in render
    renders = [ render(i, renwidth, renheight, st, at) for i in children ]
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 777, in render
    surf = render(d, width - x, rh, cst, cat)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 964, in render
    st, at)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 777, in render
    surf = render(d, width - x, rh, cst, cat)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 596, in render
    rv = super(Button, self).render(width, height, st, at)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 937, in render
    xminimum = max(xminimum, size_groups[size_group].width(width, height, st, at))
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 883, in width
    rend = i.render(width, height, st, at)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 596, in render
    rv = super(Button, self).render(width, height, st, at)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 964, in render
    st, at)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\text\text.py", line 1509, in render
    layout = Layout(self, width, height, renders)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\text\text.py", line 514, in __init__
    glyphs = ts.glyphs(s)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\text\text.py", line 220, in glyphs
    fo = font.get_font(self.font, self.size, self.bold, self.italic, 0, self.antialias, self.vertical)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\text\font.py", line 593, in get_font
    face = load_face(fn)
  File "D:\renpy_sdk\renpy\text\font.py", line 562, in load_face
    raise Exception("Could not find font {0!r}.".format(orig_fn))
Exception: Could not find font 'tl/None/AdvertisingBold.ttf'.

Windows-post2008Server-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.18.3.761
A Ren'Py Game 0.0
I tried to download AdvertisingBold.tff and the putting it inside game file and inside"..\renpy-6.99.0-sdk\templates\arabic\game\tl\None\"
But failed to change anything T_T.

And NVL mode work from left to right in Arabic template.
Though we can fix this easily with

init -5 python:
        style.default.xalign = 1.0
But even though it's test release, it still have a lot of great features, thanks for letting us testing it :mrgreen:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#118 Post by PyTom »

6.99.0.299)

Despite the 20 commits that went into this release, this release mostly consists of a few bugfixes.

- There's a fix to the problem Jack reported above, and Samu reported to me on twitter, that prevented screens with tags from being hidden properly. (A dumb oversight on my part.)
- There's a fix to Arowana's bug with constant interpolated text, reported above.
- Theres a change where we stop looping sounds (as well as music) if the player rolls back out of the loop, or loads a game.

After that, the rest of the changes are all to update the Arabic translation.

I'm once again hoping that this is close to releasable - so please test one last time. (And thanks to everyone that did.)

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#119 Post by Arowana »

Thanks, PyTom! The update fixes all the problems I was having. :D Best of luck on the official release!

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#120 Post by Obscura »

Hi Tom,

An animation that used a lot ycenter, xcenter and other commands in 6.18 doesn't seem to work in 6.99.

I've submitted a bug replication.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website