Ren'Py 6.99 Prereleases

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: Ren'Py 6.99 Prereleases

#76 Post by nyaatrap »

PyTom wrote:!

Can you give me the full traceback, please?
Yes here.
Before the crashed line, There's a code 'renpy.music.play(self.sfx, channel="sfx")'.

[edit] I found the reason. I have used Japanese name file. In an older version, if I don't build a game then Japanese file name worked fine.
Attachments
traceback.txt
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#77 Post by nyaatrap »

xela wrote:
nyaatrap wrote:...
You've reported an issue with Drag&Drop teleporting back to their positions without any kind of visible movement at all. Was that fixed as PyTom reported or does this still persist? I seem to be experiencing the same thing with this and the previous release.
It's fixed on my game.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#78 Post by xela »

nyaatrap wrote:
xela wrote:
nyaatrap wrote:...
You've reported an issue with Drag&Drop teleporting back to their positions without any kind of visible movement at all. Was that fixed as PyTom reported or does this still persist? I seem to be experiencing the same thing with this and the previous release.
It's fixed on my game.
Oh well, it's not fixed in mine but I don't consider this an issue, the only thing that's new is that I will not be able to catch the sprites as they fall back to their default positions :D It's not that bit of a loss :roll:
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#79 Post by Camille »

Since updating to the latest version, my layers have gotten messed up? I have my side sprites on their own layer which I've implemented using config.layers + config.context_clear_layers.append...

Before, the screens were in the right order so the game looked like this: http://i.imgur.com/3T8sMZH.png
Now it's putting the side_image layer on top of that overlay so it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/hUoh8S6.png

I didn't change any of the related code, all I did was update Ren'Py.

crimsonnight
Veteran

#80 Post by crimsonnight »

PyTom wrote:6.99.0.257)
philip, are you on Ren'Py 6.99?
Hi Tom, I've been talking to phillip and he attached the error in the form of images to an email (attached to this post). As I don't have a Mac machine myself, I got a mate to look into it and received the following response:

Ok so it's basically because he is running old software and your application needs a process that isn't present in the older version but is in the newer one.

Windows isn't as picky with what it runs on older systems which is why it opens and works but would potentially crash during the app more. As an example though it's the equivalent of running it on windows XP.

It looks like he has a fairly decent spec machine though and apple do free downloads for the latest update. Just looked on the website again though and it says it's compatible with 10.6 and up, has anyone had it working with 10.6?

Has the minimum spec increased for the latest prerelease versions?
Thanks,
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 2.44.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 2.39.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 9.28.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 9.27.28 PM.png
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#81 Post by PyTom »

crimsonnight, is that 6.99 he's running, or 6.18.3? In this thread, I'm mostly interested in regressions between 6.18 and 6.99 - that is, bugs that are new in 6.99 compared to 6.18.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

crimsonnight
Veteran

#82 Post by crimsonnight »

PyTom wrote:crimsonnight, is that 6.99 he's running, or 6.18.3? In this thread, I'm mostly interested in regressions between 6.18 and 6.99 - that is, bugs that are new in 6.99 compared to 6.18.
Yep, built using 6.99!
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#83 Post by jack_norton »

Just wanted to confirm that the slowness/resource usage is now gone. I can alt-tab from the game and use the computer without any noticeable slowdown :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#84 Post by nyaatrap »

Umm, a few millisec music stop still occurred to me. ~6.13 had a similar problem but it's only occurred while transitioning heavy screens. In 6.99, just showing several layered sprites at the first time without prediction gets this issue randomly (the bad thing is not always. I don't know what is a condition 100 % repeat this issue).

Dharker
Regular

#85 Post by Dharker »

Just a quick note, I have had a report from one person testing my game, that the steam achievements don't seem to be registering on Mac systems. I don't currently have a mac to test it myself (but will be getting one soon for easier testing)

But wanted to post it to see if any other steam devs are getting the same thing with mac users (as I say at the moment I have had only 1 report, so this might not be affecting, but thought I should still post about it just in case).

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#86 Post by jack_norton »

Just FYI, sometimes achievements don't work for random reasons, related to Steam servers. So just 1 report might not be relevant.
computer games

Dharker
Regular

#87 Post by Dharker »

Hi, I thought that might be the case, I thought it best to post it just in case, at least until I have my new mac machine to do my own testing.

Dharker
Regular

#88 Post by Dharker »

Hi, haven't had any other reports on the achievements not working for Mac users, though there is a very small amount of people playing the game on Macs it seems.

Back to the steam testers, the only consistent issue that is arising is that for some people their various virus softwares now that achievements are added to the game are getting false postives claiming the game contains a Trojan virus. Mostly norton it seems to be claiming this. I assume it is because with achievements the game is always trying to communicate with the steam servers. But wasn't sure if there would be something fundamental causing it.

Otherwise no crashes or issues have been found.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#89 Post by jack_norton »

I believe that virus false positive is not related to the achievements itself, but to the fact that Ren'Py libs are new (new .exe, .dll etc). Whenever you release a new version of something, those "brilliant" antivirus (which are more of a joke actually) just blacklist any executable blindly :lol:
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#90 Post by PyTom »

Camille wrote:Since updating to the latest version, my layers have gotten messed up? I have my side sprites on their own layer which I've implemented using config.layers + config.context_clear_layers.append...
I think you had been using the branch I gave you a while back. The changes in that branch have been integrated, but require a config change. The correct code is now:

Code: Select all

init -100 python:
    config.layers = [ 'master', 'transient', 'say', 'side_image', 'screens', 'overlay' ]
    config.context_clear_layers.append("side_image")
    config.context_clear_layers.append("say")
    config.say_layer = "say"
    config.choice_layer = "say"
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom