How to implement a quick menu for every text box?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Giovedi
Regular

How to implement a quick menu for every text box?

#1 Post by Giovedi »

If this is a dumb question, please, just bear with me. I'm a noob's noob.

Alright, so here's my problem: I've got separate text boxes per character in this game. I'd like to be able to reposition the quickmenu for each text box, but I don't know if that's possible.
Capture.PNG
Gentle Girl's text box is using default quickmenu.
7ty8oui.PNG
So is Tsundere Girl -- which results in the quickmenu being abominably misaligned with the window.

Is there any way I can give Tsundere Girl her own quickmenu, or am I stuck?

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: How to implement a quick menu for every text box?

#2 Post by philat »

Well, how are you designating the separate textboxes? The quick menu is usually incorporated through the use quick_menu line in the say screen. If you have separate say screens, or are using variables to change the say screen, etc., you can use the same method for the quick menu.

Yuuji
Regular

#3 Post by Yuuji »

Yeah, you can do it, but for you case I suppose you should create separate quickmenu. Look into screens.rpy file. First textbox uses quick_menu() screen with screen language command "use quick_menu()". In your case you just can create another quick_menu(e.g. quick_menu_tsundere) with buttons that have their own position properties. Or you can do it in one quick_menu but in that case you should declarate parameter in screen(e.g. screen quick_menu(textBoxType = Gentle)) and use textBoxType like variable in quick_menu screen code to identify if you should place quick menu buttons on left or on right. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my first language :)
There's no point in standing around with your mouth open waiting for talent to fall from the sky. You make your own. No matter what you're doing, the most essential thing is not to give up.

Giovedi
Regular

#4 Post by Giovedi »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I appreciate it.

Anyway, I created a separate quickmenu that puts the buttons on the left side. However, I don't know how to use that menu specifically for Tsundere's dialogue.

Can someone give me a walkthrough on what I need to do? That'd be so rad.