"Open world" map?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NaNaNaNoo

"Open world" map?

#1 Post by NaNaNaNoo »

Hi, and thanks for viewing this topic!

Thing is, I want to make a visual novel game where it includes user interaction akin to Persona 3 Portable. In that game, the player can visit various places in the island with a map that's like imagemap...but I'm not sure if it's imagemap.

If it is imagemap, how can I make it so that interactions within the map would affect the gameplay? As far as I've learnt, imagemaps are used in menus and all that. Please clarify this point if I've misunderstood it. Thanks!

steve_T
Regular

Re: "Open world" map?

#2 Post by steve_T »

do you mean something like this :

Code: Select all

screen planets: #Preparing the imagemap
    imagemap:
        ground "Assets/Map.jpg"
        hover "Assets/Map-hover.jpg"

hotspot (510, 160, 212, 155) clicked Jump("Mars")  # jump to the mars label
        hotspot (194, 206, 241, 147) clicked Jump("Saturn")
        hotspot (280, 410, 243, 183) clicked Jump("Jupiter")

label Mars:
      scene bg mars
      m "We've arrived at Mars "

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#3 Post by wyverngem »

Imagemaps are one way you can do this, but there is another way with screen language and imagebuttons.

Here's the information on creating your own screens (http://renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html) and here's a list of actions (http://renpy.org/doc/html/screen_actions.html) a button can perform.

I'd recommend making your screen with imagebuttons because they're easier to position on the screen and you don't have to worry about recreating your imagemap or even your whole screen when an area changes or become unavailable. In screen language you can write if statements that control if you see an icon or not. The other bonus is that you can apply alt transformations that can create animations for your button. Examples include fading in when the screen is called to increasing the image size when the button is hovered.

NaNaNaNoo

#4 Post by NaNaNaNoo »

Oh, I see. I get it now. :D *thumbs up* Thanks for everyone who answered!