Mouse cursor lags in fullscreen, any way to reduce it?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Tage
Regular

Mouse cursor lags in fullscreen, any way to reduce it?

#1 Post by Tage »

It takes more work to render in fullscreen I'm assuming. Is there a way to minimize the cursor lag? At all? lol

Edit: That is - other than using 640x480 resolution, which would probably work wonders. I'm trying to use 800x600 resolution. But I may settle for 640x480 if there is no other way.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Are you using an image cursor? Not using one can help, as the image cursor isn't hardware accelerated. Other than that, there's not much you can do.

It really shouldn't take any more work to render in fullscreen, as the same number of pixels are being pushed to the screen, either way.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

Hm... Another question: Is it lagging on all screens, or just screens with alot of buttons on them, like the main menu and the game menu?

Tage
Regular

#4 Post by Tage »

Just menus, and I don't have a special cursor. I guess I should consider not using fullscreen more than anything else, lol. I just always felt having other windows on the screen pulled me away from the story. It's not too bad.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

The game and main menus may lag a bit. I probably need to do something to make hover support more efficient.

I put a lot of effort into optimizing the performance of the visual novel proper, and not so much into optimizing the menus, buttons, etc. This is on the grounds that a user will spend alot of time interacting with the game story, and less time working with the menus.

Hint, hint. :-)

Tage
Regular

#6 Post by Tage »

lol, well, I like nice menus, so I guess I'm being a little biased...but oh well, it's my game :twisted: hehe...but, I'll probably not use fullscreen anyway since the music gets crackly when I do put it in fullscreen.