Ren'Py 6.99 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
FragmentedBergyo
Regular

Re: Ren'Py 6.99 Released

#151 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

Fixed it, thank you very much!
By the way, may I just ask in which way exactly did the text display change? This newest pre-release is making my test shift a bit from time to time, and it's probably due to an incompatibility with a script, so I was just wondering which code changed the most, to give it a look and figure out what could be happening.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#152 Post by PyTom »

It's kind of complicated. Basically, the latest prereleases:

1) Render the text in virtual size far enough to get the bounding box size.
2) Re-render the text at drawable size.
3) Compare the drawable size text with the projection of the virtual size text to drawable size.
4) Shifts the glyphs around so the drawable size text fits in the box.

You can see the virtual size box by setting config.draw_virtual_text_box to True.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

FragmentedBergyo
Regular

#153 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

Been having internet connection issues for a while, so apologies to the late reply.
I added a quick image to compare what happens(just open them in a new tab and switch between them. It should be noticeable then.
It looks normal when windowed, but when I put it on fullscreen, the following behavior can be observed:
-A line of text completes. Looks normal.
-I click to proceed to the next line. The previous line's text gets a bit shifted. It's more noticeable with longer lines.

I have no clue what's happening and I see no reason why the text changes after the next line starts running. Any ideas?
Is anyone else experiencing this?
I am using nvl mode and extend and I know I'm in the minority here, so maybe it went unnoticed yet.

Additional Info:
My screen is 1600x900
The game's native resolution is 1280x720

So it's exactly 1.25 of the original size.
Attachments
2.png
2.png (47.34 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
1.png
1.png (36.73 KiB) Viewed 1288 times

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#154 Post by nyaatrap »

It looks kerning between "r" and "s" on "first" is changed, due to its style is changed.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#155 Post by PyTom »

So, what's happening here is that 6.99.6 is adjusting the kerning automatically to fix the text in the same box it would be in if the screen was not scaled. My current thinking is that of a number of bad behaviors, this is the least so - I think preserving the laid-out text size is more important than trying to preserve kerning when extend is used. So my thought is that I want to accept this as part of the changes in 6.99.6 - I don't see how I can avoid this.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#156 Post by ketskari »

Saw this after I updated to the latest pre-release, when checking lint:

Code: Select all

Ren'Py 6.99.6.727 lint report, generated at: Tue Sep 08 18:37:09 2015

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:333 'define fade' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:334 'define dissolve' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:335 'define pixellate' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:338 'define wiperight' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:339 'define wipeleft' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:340 'define wipeup' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:341 'define wipedown' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:343 'define slideright' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:344 'define slideleft' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:345 'define slideup' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:346 'define slidedown' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:348 'define slideawayright' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:349 'define slideawayleft' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:350 'define slideawayup' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:351 'define slideawaydown' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:353 'define irisout' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:354 'define irisin' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:357 'define zoomin' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:358 'define zoomout' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:359 'define zoominout' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:363 'define vpunch' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:364 'define hpunch' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:367 'define blinds' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:368 'define squares' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.

lib/windows-i686/00definitions.rpyc:371 'define _narrator' replaces a Ren'Py built-in name, which may cause problems.
I also tried making a new game, and it occurs in the lint of the new game as well. I tried a couple of transitions, and default transitions like blinds still works but dissolve does not appear to. Checked and noticed that this doesn't seem to occur on Ubuntu or Windows 7 (the computer that got the above error has Windows 8.1).

Also, on Ubuntu, Windows 7, and 8.1, when choosing template/styles for creating a new game, I noticed that the scroll bar move quite a bit, and it's difficult to select something after scrolling down because it will jump up to the previous selection.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#157 Post by PyTom »

This looks like an unpack problem. Maybe try reinstalling Ren'Py?

ketskari
Veteran

#158 Post by ketskari »

Reinstalling worked, but now I get an error when setting either Editra or JEdit as the text editor:

"An error has occurred:
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded"

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#159 Post by PyTom »

Huh. It sounds like something might be blocking your internet access. You can grab the latest versions of these files from the 6.99.6 download, and just unzip them by hand.

ketskari
Veteran

#160 Post by ketskari »

Ah, I see, I'll try that next. Sorry--haven't had this problem before so didn't think to try that. Thanks.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#161 Post by Reikun »

Is the variable viewer in the developer tools working normally in 6.99.6.727? I updated through the launcher from 6.99.5 and my variable viewer is completely blank (the window pops up where all the variables would normally be listed but there is nothing there except the title 'variable viewer' at the top).

Edit: Another strange thing: I managed to get an exception but the window is blank (I can still copy to clipboard and paste it in a text editor to see the exception though. http://puu.sh/k4YFD/5434dfb5d5.jpg
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

FragmentedBergyo
Regular

#162 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

PyTom wrote:So, what's happening here is that 6.99.6 is adjusting the kerning automatically to fix the text in the same box it would be in if the screen was not scaled. My current thinking is that of a number of bad behaviors, this is the least so - I think preserving the laid-out text size is more important than trying to preserve kerning when extend is used. So my thought is that I want to accept this as part of the changes in 6.99.6 - I don't see how I can avoid this.
Understandable. It's weirdly enough a feature that's not much used either.
Could I at least ask for a variable that'd revert it to the old behavior — without the text resizing(even though it turned out quite nifty)
It may not look that bad on a short line, but when I have a paragraph, it's very jaring to see whole words jump from one line to the other.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#163 Post by Reikun »

Reikun wrote:Is the variable viewer in the developer tools working normally in 6.99.6.727? I updated through the launcher from 6.99.5 and my variable viewer is completely blank (the window pops up where all the variables would normally be listed but there is nothing there except the title 'variable viewer' at the top).

Edit: Another strange thing: I managed to get an exception but the window is blank (I can still copy to clipboard and paste it in a text editor to see the exception though. http://puu.sh/k4YFD/5434dfb5d5.jpg
Whoops... this seems like something game specific but I'm not sure how my game is messing with these features. Are there any special/reserved names for variable viewer and the traceback? :O
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#164 Post by PyTom »

Names beginning with _ are hidden, since they're reserved for Ren'Py's internal use.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#165 Post by PyTom »

I updated the prerelease to 6.99.6.731. This fixes 4 issues:

- When overscaled text is moved, the top and bottom of each line of text is moved as well, to prevent text from being cut off.
- Force compile backs ups obsolete .rpyc files. However, Ren'Py would then proceed to load the backed-up file, causing a one-time crash.
- Two minor translation issues involving the launcher and tutorial game.

Barring any major showstoppers, I'm going to make the release tomorrow.