Ren'Py 6.99 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py 6.99 Released

#166 Post by PyTom »

6.99.6.738 is out on the prerelease channel.

This fixes the downloading of RAPT, which was broken by a failed upload.

It fixes a text rendering issue where the bottom rows of pixels would be cut off if certain text used an outline.

It allows auto-forward mode to advance through pauses that do not have associated times.

It updates several translations, and fixes a number of bugs.

I think this is ready to go - the small number of changes were all very straightforward. I'm likely to release 6.99.6 tonight (it's early in the morning here now) unless someone finds a major bug. (I've though that before - this is a hard release, since text style is a stylistic decision. That hasn't changed, so I think we're ready.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Tayruu
Regular

#167 Post by Tayruu »

I came across two issues when I updated to 6.99.6.739. I'm not sure if they're a fault in my own code, or with the update. I did fix them though, but I'm still curious.

One involves an edit to pausing I made.

Code: Select all

def execute_pause(p):
        if p["delay"]:
            delay = eval(p["delay"])   
            hard = eval(p["hard"])
            renpy.pause(delay=delay, hard=hard)
        else:
            renpy.pause()
I made pauses hard by default, with a "soft" statement. pause(1) soft for example.

In my code I had hard = eval(p["hard"]) to get the value of hard from parse_pause (which is True by default). But apparently, I only needed hard = p["hard"]. Renpy seemed to be having trouble with evaluating True, because it wasn't "True" - a string... or something like that. So eval() was giving me an error: TypeError: eval() arg 1 must be a string or code object

The other error was... weird. Basically, ADV dialogue wasn't being recorded to the readback. Taking this text history, and creating Character() templates like so, they wouldn't show up.

def CharTemplate(name=None, mode=adv, **args):
        return Character(name, kind=mode, **args)

define none = CharTemplate() # ADV text
define nv = CharTemplate(mode=nvl) # NVL text
Note that the code has been minimalised for the sake of space.

The problem was that adv is not a valid form of text mode. I suppose this is my own fault and yet worked in the past, apparently? I changed it to mode=None and the problem was gone.

Shakezula
Regular

#168 Post by Shakezula »

Is there a way to disable the new autobackup feature in 6.99.6? it's neat but I already do my own auto backups with Spideroak and my ocd hates the clutter in my app data folder

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#169 Post by PyTom »

I'll note that this is a different sort of backup than spideroak, since it saves the file each time it changes.

That being said, if you really want to disable backups, you can create the file environment.txt (in the same directory as renpy.exe) with the line:

RENPY_DISABLE_BACKUPS="I take responsibility for this."
If you can be OCD, I can be passive-aggressive.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Shakezula
Regular

#170 Post by Shakezula »

Hahah, point noted. :mrgreen: Thanks

Its a great stock feature. I just have it set to autosync with an external HDD already customized to my weird habits.

That includes rearranging larger blocks of code and then removing empty source files.