How to resize characters?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Skybluegum
Regular

How to resize characters?

#1 Post by Skybluegum »

Hello. It's the first time I'm asking on this forum, I hope someone can help me.

An artist drew all the backgrounds and characters. It's at 1400x900px at fullscreen, so there's no problem with the backgrounds.

Well, the characters look so big that I can only see one leg of the character.
Do I have to resize it in another software and then use the images? If so, I don't know about what size I should use for a character.
If I could resize it on Renpy, that'd be better, right?

Also, I don't really get how to move the character exactly in the position I want. If you know a good guide that can explain it to me, that'd be nice.

Thanks for any help.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

Re: How to resize characters?

#2 Post by xavimat »

You can resize the images in Ren'Py, but it's going to consume more disc (because the images you're using are larger) and more memory (because you need to resize them). Usually artists draw the images in a large resolution and then you can resize it to the size you want, according to the screen that you define at the beginning of options.rpy. I'd suggest to resize them with an image editor, like the free GIMP (www.gimp.org). There are more programs, free and paid.

Doc on im.Scale and im.FactorScale, to do it in Ren'Py: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/displayab ... nipulators
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

Yes, you have to resize it. Use software like Photoshop or GIMP, just make sure to keep their transparency... You can use RenPy to resize it in-game, but it will still consume the same memory and process needed to show that large picture... or even more since now RenPy need to resize those pictures every single time... which is not a good idea...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

Get a program like Photoshop and resize the characters. GIMP is the free alternative but it can be harder to use. Photoshop is the gold standard and I'd say it's practically required as a game developer. If you can't afford it, then you should know that you can grab Photoshop CS2 from Adobe's site - it's dated, but it still does a lot of stuff that the modern Photoshop does and it's free.

As far as how big they should be, I usually cut off their sprite at right above their knees. I usually make the very tallest character reach almost the top of the screen.

Skybluegum
Regular

#5 Post by Skybluegum »

Okay, thank you all.
I resized it, and it works fine now.