Really really stupid question - show_two_window for say?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

Really really stupid question - show_two_window for say?

#1 Post by rocket »

I can't figure out if there is a way to set the default say statement to display in two windows as if I'd defined a character who had their name in a separate window.

It wasn't an issue for Starlight Episode 0, but in Episode 1 I have so many short lived characters that it's bugging me when their names don't display like my cast. I sure don't want to go and define them as full characters.

Thanks!

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

Re: Really really stupid question - show_two_window for say?

#2 Post by chronoluminaire »

I know this is a workaround rather than an answer, but perhaps you could use one DynamicCharacter object for all of them, and change the name several times over the course of the game?
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

What you want to do is define the character name_only to be a special character with show_two_window set. His name doesn't matter, just the other attributes. When a text-name character speaks, this character is copied and used to say the dialogue.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#4 Post by rocket »

Perfect, thank you!