Muting music when going to various menus? [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
tomotomo
Regular
Tumblr: tomatomagica

Muting music when going to various menus? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by tomotomo »

It is kinda distracting when music is still playing say in preferences menu, where i want to test volume of sound effects, but because of the music that keeps playing in game i can't hear it clearly.
Is there a way to prevent it from happening?
Last edited by tomotomo on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Muting music when going to various menus?

#2 Post by PyTom »

config.game_menu_music controls what is played at the game menu. You could probably create a silent track to stop it for playing.

That being said, when testing the sound effect volume, you probably want to leave the music playing. At least for me, I often want to adjust the relatively loudness of the sound effects as compared to the music - if I wanted to make everything quieter, I'd just use the system mixer.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Tayruu
Regular

Re: Muting music when going to various menus?

#3 Post by Tayruu »

If the music is making it hard to hear the sound effects, you might want to adjust the volume in the files themselves. (There might also be a way to alter the music channel's volume in the background?) I ran into a similar problem where I felt like the music was a much higher volume than I expected, and ended up editing the files to balance better with the sound effects.