Changing size/location of things in preferences?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Spiralbunny
Regular

Changing size/location of things in preferences?

#1 Post by Spiralbunny »

Hay gaiz. I'm new to this forum, nice to meet you etc etc.
I'm also a newb to Ren'Py (and all sorts of game making), and have started messing around with customizing the look of things, but ran across a problem.

I changed the size of the window of my game, and now the preferences menu is too big - it doesn't fit in the window. Is there a way to change the size of the different parts of this menu? And maybe change what parts it consists of - for example, I don't use voice acting, so the option for changing voice volume isn't needed.

I've tried looking at the Ren'Py homepage/wiki, and searched a bit here in the forums - I'm probably just stupid, but I can't seem to find info about this. If someone could help me out, or point me in the right direction, or anything, that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: H-haha, minutes after posting this, I understood how to change the main menu, so I deleted those questions from the post. Still, preferences?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Changing size/location of things in preferences?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Can you let us know what the resolution you're using is? That would help to figure out the right settings for you.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Spiralbunny
Regular

#3 Post by Spiralbunny »

PyTom wrote:Can you let us know what the resolution you're using is? That would help to figure out the right settings for you.
Yeah; it's 650x450. Using that size, the "music volume" and "sound volume" parts of the preferences menu are only half visible. (The easy solution'd of course be to just use a bigger size window but... I sort of like smaller ones. *A*;; )

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I'd suggest changing to the more standard size of 640x480. There's some magic that triggers when the screen width is 640, which will shrink everything down.

Also, you can get rid of the voice setting with config.has_voice. See

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... references

for a list of similar variables.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Spiralbunny
Regular

#5 Post by Spiralbunny »

PyTom wrote:I'd suggest changing to the more standard size of 640x480. There's some magic that triggers when the screen width is 640, which will shrink everything down.
Also, you can get rid of the voice setting with config.has_voice. See
http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... references
for a list of similar variables.
Okay, that's good to know. Though I like this exact size, so this time I'll probably just ignore the preferences menu, then.

Thanks for the help! *3*b