Multiplayer in Ren'Py

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: Multiplayer in Ren'Py

#31 Post by Jake »

OK. I wrote a lot, but it was long and rambling and went over the same point over and over and over and over again - because the thing I was replying to did - so I've cut it down to just the salient points.

(Aside: I'm get the distinct impression that you are not a programmer or a mathematician... would that be right?)
eyerouge wrote: If you don't, you indirectly claim that most people share your view on the waiting.
No, I'm claiming that there exists a significant number of people who share my view on the waiting. I don't claim that it's necessarily a majority, just that it's a non-negligible proportion.

There's no universal truth, but there are trends. And personally, you are literally the first person I have ever heard claim that forced gaps in something they're reading are no problem at all, which suggests to me a trend towards people finding forced gaps irritating. And it's rarely worth betting against trends.

eyerouge wrote: Once again, if you share this notion there is not really any problem that is related to multiplayer functionality per se: The problem isn't there unless somebody is stupid enough to claim that "VN multiplayer is for everyone".
. . .

The reading-speed-matching problem is related to the multiplayer functionality, it just isn't universal to all players. If it wasn't related to the multiplayer functionality then the reading-speed-matching problem would exist for some people outside of a multiplayer environment, but it doesn't.

Similiarly, the problem with Quake CTF team colours being Red and Green because some people are Red-Green colourblind is inherent to the choice of colours, even though not all players suffer it. It doesn't exist when you choose different colours, which believe it or not is one of the main reasons CTF team colours tend to be Red and Blue, because those colours are at opposite ends of the spectrum and far, far fewer people are Red-Blue colourblind.

eyerouge wrote: I do it knowingly that I can't prove it by showing it or pointing out the players that would try a multiplayer VN out since 1) the sub-genre doesn't exist yet, so how could I point them out? 2) the engine that allows us to create such works doesn't exist yet, hence the sub-genre can't be created to show it's strenghts/weaknesses.
Am I misremembering you offering to write a custom PHP site to match players by reading speed? Because it would be relatively trivial to implement a simple multiplayer VN in PHP/HTML - far easier, in fact, than it would in Ren'Py.

It probably wouldn't be fully-featured, with all the pans and zooms and dynamic displayables and so on that Ren'Py offers, but it would easily be enough to demonstrate the concept. So why don't you do that, and come back and tell us, and we'll go and have a play and see if we're convinced?
eyerouge wrote: You imagine it in a shitty way since it sounds shitty to you and probably(?) would be in your case.
No. Actually, I imagine it in quite a wonderful, enjoyable way, because I would really like such a thing to work. Unfortunately, I've spent long enough programming framework code that I can't help but look for problems with a design, and I've spent long enough playing and designing games and getting feedback on them that some of these things jump out at me, and I don't think it's reasonable to not mention them.
eyerouge wrote: No, I'm not willfully ignoring the fact that some players don't want to play multiplayer games, as the players in your example clearly are a case of.
No, ignoring the problem is exactly what that is.

Firstly, if the players didn't want to play multiplayer games, they wouldn't start them - we're not dealing with people who don't want to play them, we're dealing with people who have changed their minds about playing them. The fact that there are unsolved problems with reading speed means that there are likely to be a non-negligible class of people who start out thinking that they're going to enjoy it and change their mind part-way through. Add to this the set of people who think that answering the telephone or front door is more important than playing a very long multiplayer game (and they may well be right) and the inescapable conclusion is that there exists some non-negligible set of people who will start playing a multiplayer VN and then stop part-way through for whatever reason.

Secondly - and this is the part you seem to be willfully ignoring - it doesn't matter about that set of people's enjoyment. What matters is the active, willing player on the other end who has their enjoyment of the game ruined by someone who leaves part-way through for whatever reason. That person may like the idea of multiplayer, be perfectly happy to commit 3 contiguous hours of his time to a game, but the other player prevents him from enjoying the game.

With a game of Quake if someone abandons the game you've still got a running score, you can tell if you were winning or not and derive some sense of conclusion from that. And if you start again you get as good an experience with the next set of players, so it's fine. With a game of Civ you'll be annoyed that you've sunk two hours into a game that didn't get satisfactorily resolved, but you can still enjoy it just as much when you play again. With a VN, not only have you lost the two hours, but also your subsequent enjoyment of the game is diminished because you've already seen a good chunk of it before.

eyerouge wrote: In my mind it is not a problem, and even if it was it wouldn't be specific to RenPy Multi - it would be a problem in all multiplayer games.
Over and over again you are assuming that what is true for all multiplayer games would also be true for Ren'Py multiplayer, and vice versa, and I am quite adamant that this isn't the case.

Nearly all multiplayer games - Quake, Civ, WoW PVP/Instances etc. - are based on a 'sports' analogy, where firstly the players are in competition (or cooperating in a competition against the AI or other players) and secondly it is a totally repeatable scenario, where playing the same game a second time is exactly as fun - if not more so, because becoming familiar with it enhances the enjoyment.

Those which aren't sports-analogies tend to be 'freeform storytelling' - MUDs and MUSHs and WoW outside of PVP/Instances - the players create content themselves and enjoyment comes from the content created by other players.

These are very broad classes of games, and I can't offhand think of a multiplayer game which isn't one or the other. Except one! A hypothetical multiplayer VN, in a traditional VN sense, fits into precisely none of these classes of game. Therefore, it is erroneous, in my mind, to presume that rules, trends or statistics which apply to either of those classes necessarily are or aren't the case in your hypothetical multiplayer VN.

(In fact, if you read around the forum you'll note that several of us don't actually consider VNs to be 'games' proper at all, it's just a convenient term because it's something that we do for entertainment.)
eyerouge wrote:If you insist on playing with a player that is always away from the game, it's your choice. Do those players exist? Sure. Do they prove anyhting about multiplaying? Apparenlty not, since multiplayer targets multiplayers.
Except I don't know whether they're going to play all the way through until I test it by trying to play all the way through, and by the time I find out the answer it's already too late.

eyerouge wrote: I'm confident many of you are creative enough to figure out other ways.
"I'm confident that the problem will be solved" isn't a solution to the problem, it's just unjustified optimism.

eyerouge wrote: When I play StarCraft it's unrecognizable if I play against the AI or a human unless the opponent starts to chat with me.
Then all I can say is that you are playing Starcraft against phenomenally predictable and mediocre players, because a good StarCraft player is consistently far better at the game than the AI, employing notably different tactics that the developers apparently didn't consider or didn't think were worth implementing, and a not-so-good StarCraft player is usually recognisably different to an AI player because they don't keep up.

Chess is about the only game I can think of where it would be hard to tell, and even then it's just a matter of the level of game you're talking about. Check out the writeups of Kasparov's games with the IBM computer - IIRC it was Blue Gene; at one point, Kasparov accuses the IBM team of cheating because the computer has learned a gambit from a previous game, and he doesn't believe that the computer could do that. This is obviously a remarkable thing for the development of AI and number-crunching supercomputers, but more to the point it highlights the fact that Kasparov (quite reasonably, for all situations outside of playing against an IBM supercomputer) believes that he can tell the difference between a chess AI and a human player. Personally, I expect that he probably could, for most if not all commercial chess-playing AIs - certainly if he's comparing them to the kind of human who plays at their theoretical top level.

In short, this statement:
eyerouge wrote: While there are computer games that lack AI or have a crappy AI that is easy to detect and identify as a non-human player, there are many very successful games, just like Unreal Tournament for example, that have an AI that is virtually impossible to dientify as non-human.
I believe to be totally false.

eyerouge wrote: What you are missing out on is that you'd know that you shared the game play with a human.
eyerouge wrote: you'd know that you'd be playing a multi-VN with another human, and that the knowledge alone would suffice for the social factors to be present.
You keep saying this, and you keep failing to provide any evidence that doesn't hinge on VNs being analoguous to sports-analogues. Which they're not. Do you have any other reason to believe this other than something that basically boils down to "people play chess therefore they will enjoy doing anything so long as they know there is another human being involved"?

Simple counter-proof: I am defining "staring at a wall to watch paint dry" to be a game. I assert that there exists some portion of the population which enjoys watching paint dry, even if you don't. So, if I put another human being the other side of the wall to watch the paint on that side dry, it becomes a multiplayer game. Is it automatically more fun, just for knowing that there's another human on the other side?

Now - how does it differ if the other human gets up and walks away mid-game without you noticing? Is it still more fun, or does it instantly stop being so fun because they're gone, even though you don't know they're gone?
eyerouge wrote: the social aspect and the interaction through the story and between players is what makes it interesting.
There is no social aspect unless there is a direct communication between players, and that hasn't been a part of any of the things you've said so far, and isn't fundamental to the idea of a multiplayer VN.

There is negligibly-little interaction through the story between players, because the story one player sees is exactly the same regardless of whether a human or a random-picker makes the decisions, and the human on the other end has a very limited set of choices available to them so it is negligibly possible to discover whether a human or a computer is making them.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#32 Post by bloodywyvern »

I think if you took the word count of all the posts in this topic you would get something far greater then most VN's in size >.> Though that's an exaggeration. Since I'd really rather not read any more giant posts ^^; no offense, I'll leave my final comments on the matter and leave everyone to it probably.

Personally I find most of the arguments made here for multi player to be completely unjustified. You have claimed people don't care about waiting, that VN's will offer the same experience as RPG's or strategy games, and just knowing the other person is human is plenty to keep you interested. The fact is all evidence exists on the contrary, which has been pointed out numerous times already in several different ways. Your asking the people here to consider implementing something that has no significant reason to be done, if you'd like to do it yourself than great. I'll look forward to seeing it. The case remains the potential problems/obstacles and work involved does not match up with the potential reward. I'll contend that for the most part less than 5% of VN makers would even consider making a game with multi player as you describe it. The reason I say this? You have some of the best game makers on this forum giving reservations about the foundations of the idea, that solutions have not been found for. Until there is firm solutions, it's like taking a shot in the dark and hoping to make a hit.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to do, but it's not practical. There is a fine fine line between innovation and fruitless efforts. You could do it with the proper work, you could make one of the best stories in the world interactive for two players. It wouldn't be simple, nor easy, but you could do it. Now you have this released...all of the problems mentioned show up (or let's say even a 1/4th of them), your small fan base becomes non existent and...there goes all the time you put in to it.

My tip: Solve the problems before the work, don't hope they work themselves out in the end.

And that's all I got ^_^ if it sounds rude at all, it's because I'm exhausted and I just find too many claims not backed up or without any grounds for consideration. I think many excellent points have been made for both sides actually, it's just the pro multi player has less evidence to support the attempt. If you had to lets say make a huge corporate decision, would you go on a hunch where you don't actually know if people will like it or not? Of course not, well this goes double for the people here. Their time can be better spent on projects or engines that will give better rewards.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by Adorya »

From what I could read, correct me if I am wrong but, it seems that the multiplayer system in Ren'py suggested by bloodywyvern is like...a tabletop, live action or freeform roleplaying game using computers with Ren'py as interface?

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#34 Post by bloodywyvern »

Adorya wrote:From what I could read, correct me if I am wrong but, it seems that the multiplayer system in Ren'py suggested by bloodywyvern is like...a tabletop, live action or freeform roleplaying game using computers with Ren'py as interface?
Well I'm against multi player O.o but if you meant what I suggested as an alternative...that's not what I meant, because I didn't specify exactly what kind of game could be useful as being implemented. Those three examples are better off being made with a separate engine anyway. I stand by the idea that the mini games/battles people put in to their games...whether it be something using the new tile engine, or a simple shooter, and even the ones you mentioned if the right type of those genre's would be MUCH better to give multi player then the actual VN.

If you absolutely must have a multi player VN, separate the two sections because as of the moment they aren't really compatible. If you could set the system up to allow you to connect to a friend on a mini game AFTER you play through the VN parts then you'd be much better off.

Does that cover my side?

(Yeah, let me specify what I meant by 'not talking anymore'. If you quote me or use my name, I'll still respond ^^; I still keep up to date)
Scripts in planning- 1

eyerouge
Regular

#35 Post by eyerouge »

papillon
Actually, no, these things happen all the time. :) In particular, in MMORPGs, if one member of your group starts having serious problems with....
What I was referring to with my WoW example was Jakes way of reasoning. He wrote:
Worst of all, you are willfully ignoring one of the worst problems in multiplayer situations - one player may get called away to talk on the telephone /../ The more opportunities you give the player to wait for something, the more likely this will happen, because they'll have more cues.
I replied that it isn't really something that speaks against multiplayer functionality, since it's the user and not the tool that's the problem. That, and it's true for all multiplayer games that a person might disappear in the middle of gaming. I just didn't (and still don't) see how it has anyhting to do with my specific idea, while I do see that it has plenty to do with multiplaying in general. While pointing out that those scenarios don't tell us much about the matter at hand (which is not if you have friends who can properly sit down and play with you) I also admitted that they could occur, just like in World of Warcraft or any other game for that matter.
But usually the person in the position of the inventing sees a use for it, or they wouldn't bother. :) If you make a great multiplayer VN and everyone likes it, then of course, opinions will change. Until then, most of us can only go off our own extrapolations and what we know of what we like and what players we know like.
Exactly, hence I suggest something and PyTom will do as he pleases anyways in the end. I haven't nor am I in a position to demand anything. What I have done is to come with an idea.

You suggest that a multi-VN is created as an example to show it all. If I could already create one I wouldn't be having this discussion and it would also mean that multiplayer function was supported. Now, it isn't, thus the multi-NV can't be created. This makes it hard for me to try it out and even if I did try it out it would just be one case of a million others that are possible. Stories and gameplay would vary greatly, as they do in solo-VN, also the views on how to resolve the waiting times (mingame or extra fiction as a newspaper. nothing at all or dynamically injected fiction? etc)
I don't think an interactive murder mystery would work with nothing but preset options. /../ In a multiplayer game, if you're playing the suspect, you don't want to tell the detective anything no matter what clever questions they ask. If you were fully roleplaying instead of just selecting from preset options, you'd be much more likely to slip up and accidentally give information away. But if you're faced with choices to analyse before selecting the right one, you can easily avoid saying the one that gives a big clue to the detective. Unless all your choices involve giving away big clues, and then you'll probably be frustrated that the game isn't letting you play your character correctly.
This is the reason for why I've been reluctant to discuss specific cases: A murdermyestery, heck, any story, can be written in a thousand ways both for single & multi play.

1. In my murder mystery example all the players didn't have the same information. This means that P1 knows something that P2 doesn't and vice versa. That in return means that P2 could actually reveal some kind of clue without veen knowing it. I'm not saying that that is the way to go or that it's a smooth thing to do, just that your notion about the knowledge of slip-ups isn't fair to what can be done with the genre.

2. You don't have to write the game in a way so that people slip up at all. It could maybe be like a perfect Poirot or Sherlock Holmes adaptation, where there seldom are obvious slip-ups due to the hard-to-crack nature of many of those stories. Again, not saying that this is the way to go, just that there are many options to go with.

3. It's clear to me that you saw an end to the mystery where the murdered is caught. I'd understand and respect somebody who'd write a murder mystery multi-VN where that is to happen. At the same time I myself wouldn't do it that way. I'd script it so that it has 2 or maybe, depending on workload, 3 possible endings - a) murder gets away b) murder is busted c) the wrong person is busted. Whatever happens would be the sum of all the choices that P1 & P2 make, and most of it would be dialog in my case. As I've said many times before in this thread, this is just my personal preferences and this part of the discussion is actually more or less off-topic. It doesn't matter what type of murder mysteries we enjoy ;)
Now, another possibility for multiplayer would be to have a game that is still technically single PLAYER, but also has another human as the GAME MASTER. The GM (possibly the game author) plays the game with the player, seeing all the player's choices, and adjusting bits of dialog for ALL the NPCs as the game goes along. Ideally there would be ways for the GM to insert extra dialog or change things already written on the fly in order to customise the player's experience - also ideally, the computer should be able to pick default choices if the GM loses connection or fails to respond in a timely manner.
Interesting thought. It could be done with the already existing RenPy, if it had multiplay, except perhaps for the inserting fo extra dialog - but those wouldn't perhaps be needed if you had plenty of them scripted in advance already. Making the computer acting intelligent in case the GM isn't there is doable but would require extra work that I wouldn't do myself since I wouldn't play with a person who wanders of in the middle of it ;) Again, I would still support anyone who'd use the multiplay fucntionality like this, with or withour computer fallback scripting - as long as people are happy with what they play/create I don't see why I or anyone else needs our approval (and yes, I know you weren't seeking it, I'm just saying..)

PyTom
More on topic... I think the wait times in a multiplayer VN would be more annoying than those in a turn-based strategy game, like CIV, or a networked version of Settlers of Catan (which I've been playing recently). The reason for this is that in a strategy game, it's possible to think more than a turn ahead. So while I'm waiting for other players to move, I'm considering what I will do next... In a story-based game, there really isn't anything like that.
That has actually been solved already and is presented in my previous replies that address that very exact thought. In summary you'd solve it by 1) extra fiction that's available in the form of a book/newspaper/whatever inside the game and 2) different subtle "mini-games" that could be all from logic puzzles in a corner of the screen that relate to the story to whatever the author can dream off and that she thinks would work. All in all, there are plenty of ways to actually keep the waiting player occupied if he find waiting disturbing, and keeping her busy without necessarily ruining the main game.
On the technical side, multiplayer would be fairly easy if we disallowed saving/loading. I'm not sure how it would work if saving and loading was allowed. (Like what would you do if people saved in a different place?)
Since you're the coder and know the details about the loading & saving part I'd be of little help here. However, in many games, and for various reasons, it's fully acceptable and a solution to some problems that only one of the players, usually the host, saves the game and later on restores it if needed. I don't know if that would do the trick or not. If the save games are stored separate and locally on each players computer (in contrast to the host saving it for both for them) then it might also be an idea to include some info about each others save files in each others save files. So, P1 presses "Save". Renpy "locks" the screen for both players for 1 second or whatever it would take and it then takes a snapshot of P2:s game, some kind of checksum, and then saves P1:s game/progess along with P2:s checksum. The same stuff happens on P2:s side. Later on when P1 decides to load the game it would only start if the client who connects to him has a checksum that matches the original save file from P2, that was saved simultaneously as P1 saved his (and that was done since the screens were "locked" etc). We'd use the checksum to simply check to see if the 2 files that are loaded are compatible, part of the same game, and saved at the same time.

Else it is perhaps possible to make a player request, via a push of a button or whatever, that the game is saved, and each players renpy would then automatically save the game locally as soon as renpy thought it would come to a point where a "clean save" was possible (if such a point doesn't exist all the time of course, then it would be done directly).

Since I only see mutliplayer as the ability to remotely make choices, I don't really follow what it is in the save process that is made much more complicated. Ren'Py seems to have a decent save/load. This also shows that the whole issue can really only be understood by you as a coder since you have the knowledge of how it's built, and I don't. What exactly about the save/load would be problematic in multiplay?

A third option if saving/loading should be very complicated or problematic is to use "checkpoints" in a novel, and those would be saved instead and you'd continue from a checkpoint. If that is the same as saving/loading, which I suspect it is, then checkpoints could be scripted in the VN and they could be accessed by entering a "code" in the beginning, before you start playing. However, this is an emergency solution that lacks elegance.

Jake
(Aside: I'm get the distinct impression that you are not a programmer or a mathematician... would that be right?)
Yes and no: I study philosophy at the university and I only do php, vb and mIRC scripting. However, even if I was a gravedigger it wouldn't say much about my reasoning in these matters since I haven't discussed actual code implementation and explicitly left that to PyTom. Maybe I could turn it around and ask if you're a sociologist.. would that be right? ;)
...you are literally the first person I have ever heard claim that forced gaps in something they're reading are no problem at all, which suggests to me a trend towards people finding forced gaps irritating. And it's rarely worth betting against trends. /../ The reading-speed-matching problem is related to the multiplayer functionality, it just isn't universal to all players. If it wasn't related to the multiplayer functionality then the reading-speed-matching problem would exist for some people outside of a multiplayer environment, but it doesn't.
All of that only matters if there are breaks in a multi-VN where the Player does nothing. Sure, such a novel could be written, then again - so could a novel where there is 1) extra fiction and/or 2) mini-games to keep him occupied. If so, I don't see why we're discussing it at all since problem's solved.
Am I misremembering you offering to write a custom PHP site to match players by reading speed? Because it would be relatively trivial to implement a simple multiplayer VN in PHP/HTML - far easier, in fact, than it would in Ren'Py.

It probably wouldn't be fully-featured, with all the pans and zooms and dynamic displayables and so on that Ren'Py offers, but it would easily be enough to demonstrate the concept. So why don't you do that, and come back and tell us, and we'll go and have a play and see if we're convinced?
What I offered was coding a meeting place for players, since PyTom expressed a worry that it would be hard for players to find each other.

You are correct that it's possible and probably easier to create a "dirty coded" visual novel in PHP. However, if PHP really was so useful for that purpose I wouldn't be here having this discussion, and to tell you the truth PHP is really not unless you start tampering with tons of AJAX (java), which I rather don't since it would be hell to make it work on every browser and also mean that I have to work with php + mysql + java to do something one single engine that already more or less exists could do fully-featured.

Add to that the amount of work and the actual result in output: Not only wouldn't what I create lack plenty of features compared to RenPy, it would look crappy, be non-graphical and also almost make it more worth it to code a proper php engine/parser for the purpose instead of trying to whoop up a speedy result to "impress" you guys (which of course wouldn't happen anyhow with the tools I'd use). Coding a real engine in PHP would take me at least 2 months before I would be able to present it as finished due to the university and me starting from scratch han-solo-ing it. Lastly, we have the whole question what one case, using a crap engine, would prove anyway about multi-VN:s as a genre, even if it indeed could help us locate said problems/solutions.

Lastly, much, if not everything, we have discussed this far can more or less be reasoned about. A lot has been discussions about empirical matters (like how fast people read, what do people do while they wait, why is it a problem to wait) that are verifiable. Much else has been just personal opinions and feelings towards something that doesn't even exist yet, and yet other stuff has been more logical exercises.
No, ignoring the problem is exactly what that is.

Firstly, if the players didn't want to play multiplayer games, they wouldn't start them - we're not dealing with people who don't want to play them, we're dealing with people who have changed their minds about playing them. The fact that there are unsolved problems with reading speed means that there are likely to be a non-negligible class of people who start out thinking that they're going to enjoy it and change their mind part-way through. Add to this the set of people who think that answering the telephone or front door is more important than playing a very long multiplayer game (and they may well be right) and the inescapable conclusion is that there exists some non-negligible set of people who will start playing a multiplayer VN and then stop part-way through for whatever reason.

Secondly - and this is the part you seem to be willfully ignoring - it doesn't matter about that set of people's enjoyment. What matters is the active, willing player on the other end who has their enjoyment of the game ruined by someone who leaves
I'm not sure I follow what problem I'm ignoring according to you since I've given an answer to all your questions that were raised in the earlier topic.

1. If you mean that I ignore the fact that some people take a shit in the middle of a game I don't - those exist, and those exist in every multiplayer game that I know of, hence, they're not a problem associated with my idea. They're a problem for multiplaying in general. They're also not the normal multiplaying case. A normal session in a multiplayer game would be defined as one where the participants did what they're there to do - play, in most cases. Not do the laundry IRL. I'm sorry that people who are there to play get a bad experience because the other players decides to watch porn on the internet instead, but it's really not something I can be held responsible for.

2. If you mean that I ignore that my suggestion would lead to more players getting distracted and wondering of to do other stuff due to the dullness of watching nothing while they wait in the multi-play VN, it's maybe because I have (or haven't, depends on perspective) ignored it. Why? Because that problem has been declared as solved via the "minigaming" and the "extra fiction" that is available for the waiting players to keep them occupied. If thinking of strategy or doing other things while waiting works in all other game genres I suppose that types of "minigaming" woudl work in the multi-VN. I suggested that in a previous reply and also gave non-disturbing logic puzzles as an example. On top of that there is also the extra fluff fiction that could be used as a solution instead. You pointed out the problem with that, and I solved that as well.
With a game of Quake if someone abandons the game you've still got a running score, you can tell if you were winning or not and derive some sense of conclusion from that. And if you start again you get as good an experience with the next set of players, so it's fine. With a game of Civ you'll be annoyed that you've sunk two hours into a game that didn't get satisfactorily resolved, but you can still enjoy it just as much when you play again. With a VN, not only have you lost the two hours, but also your subsequent enjoyment of the game is diminished because you've already seen a good chunk of it before.
Here you have a point. :) Yes, you're correct that it would ruin a lot if that was to happen and that a good chunk of the story (if not most of it) would be spoiled if a player ran out on you in the middle of everything and didn't want to continue. However, for this to be an argument against multi-VN, the scenario you describe should happen very often.

I honestly don't know where you usually get your multiplaying pals, but I for one always ignore games where I know that the lobbies are crowded with "idiots", cheaters, exploiters and others who seem to do about everything except play the game as it's creators intended. If I understand your objection correctly, it doesn't matter much that I point out that you decide whom to play with yourself, it doesn't matter that you are the one who picks the sucker that walks out on you in the middle of the game, since your objection is(?) how I would handle the situation when it actually arises.

The answer is that I wouldn't: If you are half way through a VN and the 2P walks away to never return the situation it lacks resolution if your wish is to forget what you have already read in the VN & get back it's potential. Thus is the nature of novels, they're content based, most of them anyhow. It's a result of what it is to read and remember. A "solution" would be to let long enough time to pass so you forget all about it and then replay it in the future ;) If you're an active VN player maybe that wouldn't be that hard (or it would become even harder hehe..) Nah, but for real - it lacks a smooth solution.

However, there is one emergency solution that I have mentioned elsewhere: Pre-scripted response from the cpu if P2 walks out on you and doesn't return and you don't want to replay half the thing again with another person. This would of course effectivley transform the multiplayer story into a single player, but, it would allow the P1 to at least finish the story.

So, P1 would have the following 3 choices: 1) replay it with another human 2) don't play it until he forgets it 3) continue playing it as a single-player game (sorry, but again - not my bad that the person disappeared) and now I came up with a fourth solution 4) whoever willing to jump into the middle of the story could replace P2 given thats person exists and it can be solved with the save/loading.

For the sake of the discussion I could also claim that there are zero solutions, which is more or less the case since my solutions above aren't really what we're hoping for here. Okey, now we know. If a player runs away in tehj middle of a VN we are in deep shit if he doesn't plan to ever continue playing it. That story would be ruined. For maybe most players. What does this say about multiplayer VN? I don't know. If you still assume that this will happen more often in multi-VN:s despite minigames and fiction we would truly have a pronblem, yes. Then again, in such a case you must have some kind of arguments thats how that mini-gaming and/or fiction doesn't work. (I personally think that showing that fiction doesn't work will be hard as hell since a novel player is there to read...not to mention how one can dismiss every form of minigame that can be created)
"I'm confident that the problem will be solved" isn't a solution to the problem, it's just unjustified optimism.
I probably also offered something more, like a solution. and not only an optimistic grin ;)
eyerouge wrote:While there are computer games that lack AI or have a crappy AI that is easy to detect and identify as a non-human player, there are many very successful games, just like Unreal Tournament for example, that have an AI that is virtually impossible to dientify as non-human.

I believe to be totally false.
Well, then it's no wonder that we come to different conclusions since we have different beliefs about the facts at hand.

Would you mind telling me how you would tell the difference of a "Bot" set on "Adaptive" in Unreal Tournament (a Quake like FPS game) and me, if you were to play against us?

1) You don't know the skill of the bot, heck, it's adaptive, the only thing you know is that however you play it will adapt. We could even script it so it sets its modes at random every now and then. Skillwise nothing reveals if its a bot because:

2) You also don't know how well I play. On top of that, you don't know my play style, just like in the case with the bot. Again, I could and probably would adapt or go random frenzy. I might do smart things, amazing things, just like the bot, or I might get stuck in a door, just like a bot.

I have been playing plenty of multiplayer StarCraft. And you are right. In that game it actually takes playing against a mediocre player to not be able to tell if the player is an AI or not. The fact is that you only could write that because you already knew how the StarCraft AI behaves (hence, it's a crappy AI and almost not an AI at all when it comes to the words meaning, at least in the sense I'd use it).

In any case, the above only matters if one suggest that multi-VN:s should exist of reasons other than I do. We had that portion of the discussion because you or somebody else wrote that it doesn't matter if it's a human or not that is selecting the other options in a (multi)VN and that it all looked and felt the same. I still suggest that while it is true that it all looks the same, it's not the same experience for the players when they know that there are humans involved. I see that you have objected to those parts as well, so I'll resolve that in a second, below.

eyerouge wrote:you'd know that you'd be playing a multi-VN with another human, and that the knowledge alone would suffice for the social factors to be present

You keep saying this, and you keep failing to provide any evidence that doesn't hinge on VNs being analoguous to sports-analogues. Which they're not. Do you have any other reason to believe this other than something that basically boils down to "people play chess therefore they will enjoy doing anything so long as they know there is another human being involved"?
I'll be frank and admit that I haven't fully understood your sport-analogies, and also that I wouldn't describe what I've been trying to express as something that would be captured by sport-analogies, even if sport-analogies maybe very well could prove to be good analogies (after all, me not understanding them doesn't suggest they're bad..)

When it comes to what you boil down my suggestions about social factors, the "people play chess therefore they will enjoy doing anything so long as they know there is another human being involved"-part, I would actually never say that. What I would say however is that a person that plays chess would ideally 1) do it because he is interested in the game somehow, it may be its setting, its rules a combo or anything else 2) gets something out of co-work/competition, depending on format etc 3) would, through the gameplay, interact with the other players on some level and as a result of the activity itself 4) identify or feel like a part of a chess playing community and 5) experience the game/situation/the activity/himself/etc differently if he plays alone against a computer or with say his friend or a competitor from another chessclub.

I must also add that chess an example of social activity can be a tough nut to crack, it would all depend on why you play and with whom etc. I myself have been playing pro chess in a chess club as young(er), and I sure didn't experience it as "social activity" while I was competing. So, i'd still say it would all depend on the players and given situation, what's social or not is of course individual. I might be a person that can be present at a party but hate the event or behave like a mute - would I have been social? I don't know, point is that if you do x and don't experience anything social about it, and x happens to be a multi VN written by me, the playing of x wouldn't be social for that individual. On the other hand, this doesn't keep others from going to the party to have some fun ;)

What I have been claiming is that humans in general are social creatures and seem to prefer (when they are in the mood of course) activity x before y if x has a social factor attached to it even if x & y would be the same seen from all other perspectives. At least it seems to be true with many games.

Maybe I haven't been clear enough on this point, so I'll repeat myself: Multi-VN, just like multi-anything, isn't for everyone. What I have been saying is that multiplay has some kind of social psychology behind the scene. That it seems to matter to people if they win/lose/work with/against a computer or a real human, and that it's because of various reasons. Social factors would explain some of them, but certainly not all.

That said, it might be the case that you don't find playing a multi-VN a social thing at any level, or, at any level that would give you something worth a while on return. I can't speak for you, and you know your own preferences the best.

Simple counter-proof: I am defining "staring at a wall to watch paint dry" to be a game. I assert that there exists some portion of the population which enjoys watching paint dry, even if you don't. So, if I put another human being the other side of the wall to watch the paint on that side dry, it becomes a multiplayer game. Is it automatically more fun, just for knowing that there's another human on the other side?

Now - how does it differ if the other human gets up and walks away mid-game without you noticing? Is it still more fun, or does it instantly stop being so fun because they're gone, even though you don't know they're gone?
If you stare at the wall and enjoy yourself/like it/see it as a game I don't see what the problem is with your behavior or how it proves me wrong. (Maybe because we've misunderstood each other?) I agree that it doesn't matter that I don't enjoy staring at the wall or classify the activity as a game, since you clearly do and like it(?).

If you put another human on the other side of the wall that also stares I'd say it wouldn't be a multiplayer game from a psycho-social view unless at least one of you is aware that the other person exists and is doing what he's doing (participating in the game).

If you wonder if I accept that you two, the wall-staring club ;) call your activity a game I would be prepared to accept that you think it is one. If you wonder if I accept that you'd label it multiplayer I'd accept that as well. (Usually the traditional definition of a two-player game has some kind of interaction, so if the question was different, like for example if the majority of the world would understand you or share your label in your activity, I would probably reply differently and start ranting about linguistics, internal interpretations etc)

If it's more fun or not that the other human is on the other side of the wall would be pretty much up to the two humans to decide/feel.

Your question makes me wonder where this is heading though, as I have never suggested that multi-VN should exist "because they're more fun". I haven't ever claimed that everything gets better or that something must get better because you create a multi-NV. What I have written is that it doesn't take a lot of imagination to come to the conclusion that what makes many types of interaction between humans interesting could find it's way into the VN world if VN:s where multiplayer and we made interaction possible. Add to that the sharing of experiences as something that constitutes a social event.
It would still depend on the humans involved and of the reasons for why they acted as they did etc. If nobody knows that one of them walks away, no, it wouldn't matter for the other since he wouldn't know. He'd still have the illusion that he was multiplaying and probably be quite happy about it.

If he knew the other one was gone something would change on a psychological level. An example of such a feeling could be the notion of being alone and knowing that nobody was on the other side playing with you, that it was just you and the wall now, and you would also stop thinking if the other guy picked his nose or not ;) He'd also know that there wasn't a sharing of what could be a similar experience, for whatever purpose they'd want one.
eyerouge wrote:the social aspect and the interaction through the story and between players is what makes it interesting.
There is no social aspect unless there is a direct communication between players, and that hasn't been a part of any of the things you've said so far, and isn't fundamental to the idea of a multiplayer VN.

There is negligibly-little interaction through the story between players, because the story one player sees is exactly the same regardless of whether a human or a random-picker makes the decisions, and the human on the other end has a very limited set of choices available to them so it is negligibly possible to discover whether a human or a computer is making them.
I don't know if we define social aspects differently - what you write suggest that we do, thus accounting for where we pass each other in parts of the discussion. I claim that direct communication isn't necessary to experience or be a part of social phenomenons, and I also believe it's more or less what flies at the academy among sociologists and/or psychologists. An example of a social aspect, in a way that i use the word, would be the feelings, emotions and thoughts you'd have about the other guy on the other side of the wall while you sat there. You'd interact with/through the thoughts, with parts of yourself, but about him and/or you as two, sitting there meditating/playing/whatever. Missing a person would be another result of a social factor, even if it's the result of non-socializing with the person you miss.

Even if one would totally crap on my usage of the word we could solve it by dismissing it and trying to invent a new word that would capture the psychological/social aspects of multiplaying, the answer to the question why people many times seem to prefer to play with other people even if a sufficient AI is around. My answer was that social factors explain it, in part.

I maintain that direct communication isn't really necessary in order to feel like a part of social setting, but, as I just wrote, we don't even have to use the word if that's a problem as it's more interesting to understand what it signifies and in which way it helps us get anywhere in this discussion.

bloodywyvern
Personally I find most of the arguments made here for multi player to be completely unjustified.
That's the thing: You personally find the agruments unjustified, while you don't bother debunking them.
You have claimed people don't care about waiting, that VN's will offer the same experience as RPG's or strategy games, and just knowing the other person is human is plenty to keep you interested.
No, I have claimed no such thing. You claim that I claimed. ;) Most of my answers have been interwoven and to summarize it like you tells little to nothing about what I have really suggested and how it all is interwoven.
The fact is all evidence exists on the contrary, which has been pointed out numerous times already in several different ways.
No, the fact is that evidence doesn't exist of any kind, nor from my side or anyone elses. If you believe that evidence against multiplayer exists and that they have been presented in here you must really read your posts selectively and/or ignore what you've read. Why? Because I have given answers and possible & plausible , in some cases even multiple, solutions to the problems that ave been raised (given they're not technical).

So, I'm afraid what you wrote is false and/or a conclusion that is really to early to come by.
Your asking the people here to consider implementing something that has no significant reason to be done, if you'd like to do it yourself than great.
Well, that's because you don't recognize a discussion when you see it: I was under the impression that we were actually in the middle of a process where we discuss if something is worth implementing or not. Now, I don't know from climate you come discussion wise and how talkative you are, nor how long or thorough discussions you are usually part of, but there is nothing unusual with people that choose to communicate of free will in an open forum and that don't come to conclusions before everyone has had their saying. It would be kind of like me telling Jake he was wrong even before he had a chance to reply. Give me a break, it's just so unfair of you to claim that there are no reasons for implementing something when this whole discussion (that is ongoing mind you) is just about that topic.

And btw, thank you for allowing me to write an engine myself. Great that you think it's great, but then again, how can you? You dissed multi-VN:s, so it's possibly a contradiction.
. The case remains the potential problems/obstacles and work involved does not match up with the potential reward
Is that a fact because you say so, or because you draw the conclusion from a discussion that hasn't concluded anything yet? A conclusion is something that would follow from logic. Very little follow on either side of the discussion at this point, even if it has had some bright moments and some problem solving.
I'll contend that for the most part less than 5% of VN makers would even consider making a game with multi player as you describe it. The reason I say this? You have some of the best game makers on this forum giving reservations about the foundations of the idea, that solutions have not been found for. Until there is firm solutions, it's like taking a shot in the dark and hoping to make a hit.
With the very same type of argument one should be able to travel back in time and convince the first person that wrote a VN engine to not write it. Why? Because nobody or almost nobody would write a game using it (at that time since nobody had done it or knew what it was). Because you'd have plenty of creative people giving the creator reservations about the idea and what not.

And btw, solutions have been found, and presented. It's all in here. And talking about firm solutions is wicked since it's not shown how my solutions are un-firm. Not to mention that firm solutions come with time, as a product evolves, just like Ren'Py as a whole has gotten firmer and firmer with time.

If you feel an idea in an open forum is taking a shot in the dark, it's okey with me. Says nothing about the topic though.
It wouldn't be simple, nor easy, but you could do it. Now you have this released...all of the problems mentioned show up (or let's say even a 1/4th of them), your small fan base becomes non existent and...there goes all the time you put in to it.
1. I have already claimed that new genres take time and must get it to evolve. That numbers will be small from the start.

2. You assume the problems exist. The whole point with this thread is having a discussion about them. It's me vs the world, and I'm presumably "losing ground", although I'm not sure why since I still haven't seen the huge unsolvable problems.
My tip: Solve the problems before the work, don't hope they work themselves out in the end.
Hey! That's what we/I are doing! ;) In here. Right here, right now. If they can't be solved in an imaginary world here in the forum where we have a discussion then at least I wouldn't be able to solve them "IRL".
And that's all I got ^_^ if it sounds rude at all, it's because I'm exhausted and I just find too many claims not backed up
It did sound rude, very so even. But now when you wrote it you gave me a smile and it really helped me coping with it. ;) I must also apologize for probably being rude back as a result of your rudeness :P ...had I read the humble note here at the end earlier I'd been more gentle :oops:
If you had to lets say make a huge corporate decision, would you go on a hunch where you don't actually know if people will like it or not? Of course not, well this goes double for the people here. Their time can be better spent on projects or engines that will give better rewards.
I totally agree, cause in such a case I would try to maximize profit.. and frankly, i wouldn't even be dealing with VN:s since it's not the industry where you'll earn the biggies ;)

I think it's maybe misdirected to talk about all the people in here and their time: My suggestion was to PyTom, so it would be his time ;) As for the authors: I haven't demanded or requested that you guys write anyhting at all that was multi. If you did I'd be happy if it worked, if you didn't I wouldn't really care as I'd be certain that a working concept (if it works) will get it's authors eventually.

the mud challenge

This is to whoever:

MUD:s exist and they have many users. The main differences between a MUD and a VN is the fact that they're multiplayer and that they lack graphics & sound and also rely on the user writing everything by hand.

Now, imagine your favorite MUD. Do you believe anyonem that didn't know what a MUD was and who had never played a MUD before, would play it if all the options you had were pre-written and you could select them by pushing a button/number?

What I'm coming at here is a discussion about what makes MUD:s work and what doesn't make a multiplayer VN to not work. VN:s offer more graphics and sound, at least as complex storyline. The only difference is the input method and also the fact that all would be pre-written in a VN. So, if one says that a MUD with pre-written options wouldn't be played by players who didn't know what a real MUD was, the same person must probably also maintain that what makes MUD:s playworthy is the fact that people can write whatever they want, that it's the freedom that makes them worth a while playing and that the same freedom, when taken away in a multi-VN, would make it meaningless and problematic to play a multi-VN.

I claim that there is more than the freedom to type anything in a MUD that makes the MUD interesting. Yes, the freedom and possibilities are unique to the MUD:s, and a multi-VN would be very much less free. However, freedom vs non-freedom has strengths on both sides. What is more important is that the freedom alone doesn't explain why a MUD is worth playing.

The freedom combined with a lot of other factors make a MUD fun to play. Which are those factors? I maintain that one of them is the storytelling, the pre-written rooms and all other stuff that is around in the MUD world. I also claim that a MUD is a social activity and that that also brings something. Finally, I'm saying that a multi-VN is more or less very much like a MUD with pre-written player options, but, in a deluxe version... and something that still doesn't exist.

I haven't gone through great lengths to show exactly what maked a MUD intersting. I have only pointed out two-three things. I know there might be more to it, but, doesn't it seem a little bit plausible that much (not all) of what makes a MUD enjoyable would be in a mulit-VN?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#36 Post by monele »

*stops scrolling* *middle button fumes* @_@... I'd love to participate but there's just too much text, guh :|. While it's not a bad thing to have a detailed debate, I find it hard to get into.

So I'll comment on one of the things I saw while skimming : papillon's game master idea. I don't know how interesting it would be for a VN, but at least I know it's possible and practiced in the RPG realm (Neverwinter Nights, the first Vampire game and... I think people managed to get that into Baldur's Gate too?). I don't think it would be good for many players. One GM and one or two players would work best (but I'm thinking of two players acting in the same game). But even a GM and a single player could be fun. I think my best online roleplay sessions were between me and a friend... because it's personal.

What the vgames mentioned do, though, is not only permit additional dialogues but also props placement. This means a GM would be able to show pictures in real time, change expressions maybe... move sprites around a bit... and of course change BGs to move the player around within the world/story. Pushing this to the extreme could turn into Live VN sessions where you make up stories within a predefined world (because you do need premade assets : charas, bgs, maybe even music). Keeping it within limits could mean the VN is playable in solo but a GM could permit new choices and push the story in a new direction. The GM doesn't even have to be the original author... thus bringing a different vision to a work.

Now I'm just thinking : "can't we already do this with something like Second Life or even simple MSN chat?"... and probably, yes. But having specific art and the very particular VN interface could make it a new experience.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#37 Post by papillon »

I replied that it isn't really something that speaks against multiplayer functionality, since it's the user and not the tool that's the problem. That, and it's true for all multiplayer games that a person might disappear in the middle of gaming. I just didn't (and still don't) see how it has anyhting to do with my specific idea, while I do see that it has plenty to do with multiplaying in general.
Well, since you snipped out all the parts where I talked about how the problem works differently in different games and how it would be a particular problem for a VN, that's probably why you don't see it. :)

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#38 Post by bloodywyvern »

Uuu~ I guess I'm dragged back in to the giant talks...*yawns* Alright @.@ Welp, I'll warn you on this sounding rude right from the start this time ^_^ hehe.
eyerouge wrote:That's the thing: You personally find the agruments unjustified, while you don't bother debunking them.
I can't take it on any other level except personal opinion, of course I can't say it's completely proven your wrong or that anyone here is right. I can only give my personal analysis of the situation based on the presented information. So I personally find the presented arguments to have no real backing in terms of proper evidence. The majority of your arguments tend to be theories, which are fine...but explore them, don't go just on them.

I'm not exactly trying to debunk you, so I really hope it doesn't seem like I'm bothering to. That's actually a good thing, it would assume I find your entire idea to be wrong. That's not the case, I just find fundamental flaws in it that make it impractical to pursue. I'm trying to A.) Bring out the flaws to either find a solution, or get the idea scrapped because of lack of solution. Either one works for me, if it's made I want it made right. B.) Offer alternatives to begin working the idea in slowly, which was my mini game proposal. You don't want to shoot for the goal before getting close enough to have a good shot.

eyerouge wrote:No, I have claimed no such thing. You claim that I claimed. ;) Most of my answers have been interwoven and to summarize it like you tells little to nothing about what I have really suggested and how it all is interwoven.
Now that's just accusing the accuser haha, which I guess is somewhat effective depending on the person. I don't say much about what you suggest because most of it doesn't deserve comment from me, I only argue on the points I believe myself capable of arguing on. If I can't produce a sutible way of putting together my concerns, why bother saying them? I stopped skimming when I had the time to sit down and read it, so I have been reading and taking the points in to consideration.

Even if it's interwoven, if a thread is broken you can't expect the others to hold it up in a game...unlike an actual web. A game can fail with just one broken thread.
eyerouge wrote:No, the fact is that evidence doesn't exist of any kind, nor from my side or anyone elses. If you believe that evidence against multiplayer exists and that they have been presented in here you must really read your posts selectively and/or ignore what you've read. Why? Because I have given answers and possible & plausible , in some cases even multiple, solutions to the problems that ave been raised (given they're not technical).

So, I'm afraid what you wrote is false and/or a conclusion that is really to early to come by.
Actually you may want to avoid telling people they are "not reading it all" or "selectively" choosing, because many people take different ideas from words. Just because you look at the posts and see one thing, I may see enough. To me, the answers you gave were more of a repeat then anything with a few new points here or there. It's all well and good, but many of your points were irrelevant to the existing genre IMHO. If your going to debate the ability of multi player to be of some benefit using a VN engine, then you should be sure to use relevant VN arguments. The idea remains in tact, that a VN does not give you the same freedoms of other genre's and most of them can not be applied correctly to the topic (from what I've seen so far). Your ideas ARE possible, and ARE plausible...that doesn't make them practical.

Solutions are not vague ideas to work around the situation, they are a decided course of action to erase the problem. Giving more theories to supplement theories can not be considered a solution.

I wouldn't call what I said false at all, my points are still valid even if you don't see them as such. If you dismiss peoples points so easily, then of course you will never be wrong (I am guilty of this sometimes as well, but I HAVE offered alternatives FOR multi player as well...which means I am taking your points and considering how they would be best used).
eyerouge wrote:Well, that's because you don't recognize a discussion when you see it: I was under the impression that we were actually in the middle of a process where we discuss if something is worth implementing or not. Now, I don't know from climate you come discussion wise and how talkative you are, nor how long or thorough discussions you are usually part of, but there is nothing unusual with people that choose to communicate of free will in an open forum and that don't come to conclusions before everyone has had their saying. It would be kind of like me telling Jake he was wrong even before he had a chance to reply. Give me a break, it's just so unfair of you to claim that there are no reasons for implementing something when this whole discussion (that is ongoing mind you) is just about that topic.

And btw, thank you for allowing me to write an engine myself. Great that you think it's great, but then again, how can you? You dissed multi-VN:s, so it's possibly a contradiction.
Hey, hey, hey! Those are some serious accusations, not only did you just insult my intelligence...ability to hold a discussion...and my right to have an opinion but you even somehow made me out to be cutting in to your free speech as well? Now I'm really going to get rude so I guess I'm sorry, for what I don't know considering those statements. I am very much aware of how to have a discussion, and before you try and tell me I'm not properly contributing to it please tell me what a contribution is. I was under the impression that it was responding with thoughts and ideas, which I have done. Just because I don't see the validity of your arguments, doesn't for one minute mean I am incapable of discussions and from some place where proper thought doesn't take place.

Yes, I have said outright I don't believe you to be correct...but how does that mean people are not getting their say in? I'm sorry if I missed the area where I was forcing people to be silent, mindless drones and closing the topic of pure mind power while stifling your free speech. My memory must have slipped or something.

Of course I'd think it great if you could write an engine yourself, it would put an end to this right now! You could go out and prove to all of us, it could be done practically. I don't remember 'dissing multi-VN's', are you selectively reading now? I have stated before I found the idea interesting, yes I think at the stage we are in how to go about it...that it would not work at all. That doesn't mean I'm against the concept of it, just the implementation currently suggested.
eyerouge wrote:Is that a fact because you say so, or because you draw the conclusion from a discussion that hasn't concluded anything yet? A conclusion is something that would follow from logic. Very little follow on either side of the discussion at this point, even if it has had some bright moments and some problem solving.
It's spelled out right in front of you I would think.

VN fanbase= Small
Multi-VN fanbase= Even smaller

Where is the reward in making something for free, just to make ground in a non existant genre? You've said it yourself, it has to be made. There are very rarely rewards in making that first beach head. Look at Hirameki, one of the first to bring VN's to America...they made their beach head and are not out of business. There is no external rewards for creating it, except the personal "satisfaction" of making something even less people will play. My conclusion is from facts and history established BEFORE this discussion, just because you begin a thread doesn't mean time is erased. This discussion has absolutely nothing to do with why the rewards aren't there. Rewards may be present for bringing small parts of the ideas in to VN's, and slowly working it in. As for doing it straight out? Not going to happen.
eyerouge wrote:With the very same type of argument one should be able to travel back in time and convince the first person that wrote a VN engine to not write it. Why? Because nobody or almost nobody would write a game using it (at that time since nobody had done it or knew what it was). Because you'd have plenty of creative people giving the creator reservations about the idea and what not.
For one a contention is not fact, it is a position on a particular issue. You are more than welcome to disagree with it. And actually, the first VN engines were created by the people for themselves. Why? Obviously because they wanted to make a VN. It had nothing to do with other people using it to make games, it may have been a possibility for them but it wouldn't be the top reason.

That's why I say if you want to see it, write the engine yourself....it's what people do when they want to innovate. Engines that can be freely used come AFTER the genre exists, not before. Even if you adapted Ren'Py to make it, the engine itself would still be a VN engine and would make my point just as valid.
eyerouge wrote:And btw, solutions have been found, and presented. It's all in here. And talking about firm solutions is wicked since it's not shown how my solutions are un-firm. Not to mention that firm solutions come with time, as a product evolves, just like Ren'Py as a whole has gotten firmer and firmer with time.

If you feel an idea in an open forum is taking a shot in the dark, it's okey with me. Says nothing about the topic though.
No, against above solutions have NOT been found. Potential for solutions maybe, but until they are shown to work towards what they are meant to be it is not a solution. It's no more then rhetoric used to convince others. Solutions don't get more firm, solving something means it is fixed. And since when was Ren'Py broken? What you want to do is expand it, and your doing so with theories. Which until you find solutions that work, you can't call them solutions.

I think we've established the fact it's an open forum, sorry I thought only I could post here. How silly of me. I'm saying it's taking a shot in the dark because there isn't any basis, no foundation to work off of in terms of why there would be any reason to make multi player. Just because you feel like it? That's hardly a reason for someone to spend their time on something involving so much work.
eyerouge wrote:1. I have already claimed that new genres take time and must get it to evolve. That numbers will be small from the start.

2. You assume the problems exist. The whole point with this thread is having a discussion about them. It's me vs the world, and I'm presumably "losing ground", although I'm not sure why since I still haven't seen the huge unsolvable problems.
I ASSUME the problems exist!? Are you kidding me? Are you seriously kidding me? If we are having a discussion about them, they sure as hell better exist! The problems are there, we wouldn't be talking right now if they weren't. If they weren't there then someone would already be working on this, wouldn't you think? The whole reason we are still discussing it is because they exist!

Losing ground? You can't lose ground when talking unless your mind is wavering, which obviously it isn't. I never called the problems unsolvable either, just that no one has yet to present a proper solution. You talked about me contradictions, but apparently we are discussing the problems that don't exist? You don't see them, because your stubborn. Before you even say it yes I am stubborn as well, but that doesn't mean there aren't problems just because I am.
eyerouge wrote:Hey! That's what we/I are doing! ;) In here. Right here, right now. If they can't be solved in an imaginary world here in the forum where we have a discussion then at least I wouldn't be able to solve them "IRL".
Looks like you are back to seeing the problems them? -.- And if you don't count the internet as real life, then I don't know what to call it. It exists in the real world, with real world people, hell it may just be the real world. Or does this forum exist in our dreams?

But you have nothing to solve remember? There are no problems.
eyerouge wrote:It did sound rude, very so even. But now when you wrote it you gave me a smile and it really helped me coping with it. ;) I must also apologize for probably being rude back as a result of your rudeness :P ...had I read the humble note here at the end earlier I'd been more gentle :oops:
Yes it did, and if you really had wanted to be more gentle you shouldn't have hit the submit button, eh? Not that I really care, but your just raising the stakes here. At this rate all it will be is us passing insults at each other.
eyerouge wrote:I totally agree, cause in such a case I would try to maximize profit.. and frankly, i wouldn't even be dealing with VN:s since it's not the industry where you'll earn the biggies ;)

I think it's maybe misdirected to talk about all the people in here and their time: My suggestion was to PyTom, so it would be his time ;) As for the authors: I haven't demanded or requested that you guys write anyhting at all that was multi. If you did I'd be happy if it worked, if you didn't I wouldn't really care as I'd be certain that a working concept (if it works) will get it's authors eventually.
Well at least there's some sort of profit at all! This is all being done for free, which makes people even more skeptical to go in to new territory that people might not even want to play.

Actually I think it's VERY VERY important to talk about the people here. They are the audience, they are the people who would play the game. I don't remember people making games for the heck of it, they want people to play them. Not only that, but many members have made substantial contributions to Ren'Py as a whole. Look at the new tile engine put out, yes Pytom is a huge part...who generously helps members work on things like that, but they are also working. But more importantly, they are using Ren'Py and they are the ones who would make the game.

Obviously yes, the one who would probably be using his time on this is Pytom, and let me ask you something. Would you spend the time to make the entire thing, put it together, write the documentation, help members use it, and all for a very small audience? If your answer is no, then why should he? If it's yes, then go learn programming.

Now I'll admit you pissed me off greatly there, but I've made my points and will continue to make them if you respond. By then I'll have cooled off, so let's hope we don't get back in to insults please, this frustrates me. And again, would I really bother writing all of this if I didn't have some sort of interest in the idea? Sheesh :?
Scripts in planning- 1

eyerouge
Regular

#39 Post by eyerouge »

I don't know if it's just my own perception here, but I'm starting to feel the discussion has started to lose focus or, at places, stray to far off topic and that it has meandered into something that starts to become less and less structured. I myself have contributed to it somewhat, and some of the posts have done a good job as well :)

Most of you, all maybe, agree that there are problems with the multi-VV, from now on known as MVN to spare us typing. May I suggest that we try to categorize the problems with some kind of very short summary & description after each, and also a summary of the proposed solutions.

I'll start, and then edit this post as it goes along. Remember, keep it short for the purpose of this list:

1. Waiting times between turns
Problem: While waiting because of differences in decision making or reading rime a player has nothing to do.
Suggested solution: 1) Minigames 2) Extra fiction

Edit: I'll re-write this in a coming post in this thread, suggesting that we start new and separate threads about each problem, in order to get more structure and be on topic.
Last edited by eyerouge on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#40 Post by Jake »

eyerouge wrote:
Yes and no: I study philosophy at the university and I only do php, vb and mIRC scripting. However, even if I was a gravedigger it wouldn't say much about my reasoning in these matters since I haven't discussed actual code implementation and explicitly left that to PyTom. Maybe I could turn it around and ask if you're a sociologist.. would that be right? ;)
I'm a frameworks programmer for an online application, and holder of a CS degree.

The reason I asked, however, is that mathematicians - and those in similar disciplines - use phrases like 'I have demonstrated' and terms like 'proof' to mean quite specific and sometimes quite different things to that which - say - an artist might use them to mean. So it helps when such terms are being thrown around to understand whether or not the person you're talking to means the same thing by them as you do.

That said, I was under the impression that philosophers tended to do a fair bit of logic...

Anyway. NaNo work beckons, so again, I'm skipping over some less-important stuff and not putting the editing time in I might otherwise - although rest assured that I did read everything!
eyerouge wrote: If so, I don't see why we're discussing [reading speed mismatch] at all since problem's solved.
You think it's solved, but your solution basically involved making a fair number of simplifying assumptions. Which is fine, so long as you're aware that each time you made one of those assumptions you're narrowing the potential userbase down even further. Each one individually might only deter 10% or 5% of people, and 10% or 5% alone might be relatively negligible, but the series tends toward zero - the more you keep taking the 90% the fewer and fewer people you're left with.
eyerouge wrote:
You are correct that it's possible and probably easier to create a "dirty coded" visual novel in PHP. However, if PHP really was so useful for that purpose I wouldn't be here having this discussion, and to tell you the truth PHP is really not unless you start tampering with tons of AJAX (java), which I rather don't since it would be hell to make it work on every browser and also mean that I have to work with php + mysql + java to do something one single engine that already more or less exists could do fully-featured.
OK. I don't like the language, but I've done enough PHP to be able to assert confidently that it would be quite possible without any AJAX or even JavaScript at all, it could include graphics, choices and so on... it would just include a lot of page-loading if you did that. But hey, for a proof-of-concept that should be OK, surely?

Seriously - each interaction sends a request for the next HTML page back to the server; the server checks the session, looks through the novel to find which page to display, and each page is rendered out as an HTML table with - say - three cells horizontally in one row for putting character graphics in, and one cell in a second row for putting dialogue in. The background of the table is the background image, and there's a link underneath it to progress to the next line of dialogue. It wouldn't be a particularly elegant solution, but proofs of concept rarely are.

(In fact, there's little in a single-player VN that would mean it couldn't be implemented in HTML, and there have been VN-type games/stories which have been, in the past. The only difference with this one is that instead of all the HTML being static, sometimes the links would change based on what one or the other player had chosen at any point.)
eyerouge wrote: Lastly, we have the whole question what one case, using a crap engine, would prove anyway about multi-VN:s as a genre, even if it indeed could help us locate said problems/solutions.
Viability, basically. Maybe I'm totally wrong about everything I've suggested as problems and it really would be engaging enough to ignore them? Maybe there are more issues that neither of us have even considered? One doesn't know these things until one tries, and the best way to put a toe into the water is to do something lightweight and throwaway, rather than investing all the time and effort in a heavyweight solution that might turn out to stink.
eyerouge wrote: Lastly, much, if not everything, we have discussed this far can more or less be reasoned about. A lot has been discussions about empirical matters (like how fast people read, what do people do while they wait, why is it a problem to wait) that are verifiable. Much else has been just personal opinions and feelings towards something that doesn't even exist yet, and yet other stuff has been more logical exercises.
My experience with software suggests that actually, you don't know all the details until you try to implement it, unless the problem is trivially simple. And my experience with people is that even the best-laid most-carefully-thought-out plans go awry more often than not.

(By way of example - I've run a few Mafia forum games in the past, and watched and played in several more. The forum I play on currently deviates quite a lot from the standard set of rules, so it's an interesting game design exercise. And even basing your next game on the way everyone has played in the past, the way different mechanics work and proper information theory and everything, something unpredicted or unpredictable turns up pretty much every single game to throw a spanner in the works. There is only so far you can take logic and reason when human beings are involved. Statistics are better, but not much better. ;-)
eyerouge wrote:
I'm not sure I follow what problem I'm ignoring according to you since I've given an answer to all your questions that were raised in the earlier topic.

1. If you mean that I ignore the fact that some people take a shit in the middle of a game

2. If you mean that I ignore that my suggestion would lead to more players getting distracted and wondering of to do other stuff due to the dullness of watching nothing while they wait in the multi-play VN
Leaving aside that I still totally disagree with your usage of the word 'solved' when none of your 'solutions' have been put to the test at all, neither of these were what I meant. This was:
eyerouge wrote:
Here you have a point. :) Yes, you're correct that it would ruin a lot if that was to happen and that a good chunk of the story (if not most of it) would be spoiled if a player ran out on you in the middle of everything and didn't want to continue. However, for this to be an argument against multi-VN, the scenario you describe should happen very often.
I would argue that it doesn't have to happen 'very often', it just has to happen at all to be a factor worth considering. The longer the VN, the more likely it is to happen, to my eye, because no human being has infinite patience, and the longer it goes on the more likely something will come up to end the game. Maybe even a network failure, it doesn't necessarily have to be one of the players getting bored. The point is that if the game ends prematurely, then unlike pretty much all kinds of multiplayer gaming it's quite catastrophic with a multiplayer VN, and that it will happen some of the time.
eyerouge wrote:
However, there is one emergency solution that I have mentioned elsewhere: Pre-scripted response from the cpu if P2 walks out on you and doesn't return and you don't want to replay half the thing again with another person. This would of course effectivley transform the multiplayer story into a single player, but, it would allow the P1 to at least finish the story.
This would work as a solution, but then we get back to the other point - whether there is any point in believing that there is another player on the other end or not.

eyerouge wrote:
Okey, now we know. If a player runs away in tehj middle of a VN we are in deep shit if he doesn't plan to ever continue playing it. That story would be ruined. For maybe most players. What does this say about multiplayer VN? I don't know.
It says, simply, "here is another point in favour of the story being presented single-player instead of multi-player. Sure, none of these things that make multiplayer a worse experience than single player in some ways are absolute showstoppers, and some of them have workarounds, but there are more than a few of them, and they all add up.

For me, the question as to the viability of a multiplayer experience is simply this: "is there anything in a multiplayer VN's favour which breaks even against all these potential problems?".

You've asserted that simply knowing that someone else is playing is enough. I disagree, for broadly this reason (and here I'll skip ahead to a quote from near the end):

The whole watching-paint-dry thing was an analogy for multiplayer VNs; it doesn't matter whether anyone does or doesn't find looking at a wall on their own a fun experience, but for the sake of the analogy looking at the wall on your own is a single-player VN. It's a thing which you have little control over, can only interact with in limited ways (e.g. by blowing on it, or by choosing from a multiple-choice menu every now and again) and broadly speaking it plays out in the same way every time you try it - the paint dries, or you follow the paths through the VN to the pre-scripted end.

If you stick another player on the other side of the wall that you can't directly communicate with, then supposedly - according to your theory - the game is worth playing because of the social aspect of simply knowing that the other player is there. There's been no mention of direct communication, and in fact I strongly believe that it would detract from the VN-reading experience - so you only have trust in the game that there's a human there at all. You play the game, and it's different because you know there's a human on the other side of the wall/Internet.
eyerouge wrote:
It would still depend on the humans involved and of the reasons for why they acted as they did etc. If nobody knows that one of them walks away, no, it wouldn't matter for the other since he wouldn't know. He'd still have the illusion that he was multiplaying and probably be quite happy about it.
So - if P2 walks away, and P1 doesn't know, then it's equally fun for P1 before as it is after? This leads to the obvious question - why bother having P2 in the first place, from P1's point of view? The experience apparently doesn't change when P2 is removed from the equation, so long as P1 believes P2 is still there. So - how does a multiplayer VN differ in experience to a single-player VN which lies to you, tells you it's connecting out over the Internet (maybe checks it can access a website periodically to maintain the illusion) and pretends that some other player somewhere is travelling through the story with you?

If it's the same experience with fake-multiplayer as it is with real-multiplayer, then there's actually no value in the multiplayer aspect itself, the value lies in believing that another human is joining you in something. If that's the case, then it probably doesn't matter what that something is, it doesn't have to be a multiplayer VN, it could be watching paint dry.

eyerouge wrote: I'll be frank and admit that I haven't fully understood your sport-analogies, and also that I wouldn't describe what I've been trying to express as something that would be captured by sport-analogies
That was my exact point - VNs aren't sport-analogy games.

A sport-analogy game is a game in which you compete in some way against another player (be it human or AI) to be better than them. This betterness is measured by some in-game metric or win condition, and the game as a whole is repeatable in some way. Typically the starting setup is the same (or at least attempts to be 'fair', maybe taking into account handicaps) for all players. The very-general point of a sport-analogy game - the value people get out of them - is to try and be better than your opponent at some task.

So Command-and-Conquer is a sport-analogy game, you win by wiping out your opponent, proving you're better than them; Quake DM is a sport-analogy game, you win by getting more frags than everyone else; chess is a sport-analogy game, you win by placing your opponent in checkmate before they can do the same to you. Sport-analogy games benefit from multiplayer because otherwise without another player, you have no-one to be better than - you're just measuring yourself against yourself, which doesn't get a human's sense of competition going.

A freeform-storytelling game is arguably not a game, but it's another very big set of entertainments, and you've referred to MUDs, which are a member of this class. In this, the mode is to create in a relatively unrestricted ('freeform') fashion, and the value comes from the new things - the imagination demonstrated by the group of human minds. MUDs, MUSHes and so on are all freeform-storytelling games, as is Second Life, and the non-combat roleplay part of any MMOROGAMAPOG. These benefit from multiplayer because otherwise you don't have any imagination to see new things from - you cannot be curious about your own creations, because you already know everything about them.

My point is that these are the only two classes of multiplayer game that I can think of which currently exist - and a multiplayer VN quite definitely isn't either of those things. It doesn't benefit in multiplayer from the competetive aspect of a sport-analogy game because it doesn't necessarily have any competition, and it doesn't benefit in multiplayer from the creativity of a freeform-storytelling game because the players themselves have no opportunity to be creative, they're just selecting options from a menu.

Now, that's not necessarily bad - it's entirely possible that a third class of multiplayer game could exist and also be fun. However, it does mean that it's completely invalid to make any pro-multiplayer-VN argument and base it on either of these classes of game, because a multiplayer VN isn't either of those classes of game. So any of your arguments which include "people play multiplayer games like chess or a MUD, so there must be some validity to multiplayer VNs" are baseless. If you start with a false assertion you can imply anything, but it's meaningless.

eyerouge wrote: Even if one would totally crap on my usage of the word we could solve it by dismissing it and trying to invent a new word that would capture the psychological/social aspects of multiplaying, the answer to the question why people many times seem to prefer to play with other people even if a sufficient AI is around. My answer was that social factors explain it, in part.
Perhaps "psychosocial"? ;-)

Seriously, though - you seem to be suggesting that the actual other person doesn't matter, only the belief of the single player that the other person exists. Which means that multiplayer isn't actually important at all, just belief in multiplayer. Which is curious, to say the least. ;-)

eyerouge wrote: MUD:s exist and they have many users. The main differences between a MUD and a VN is the fact that they're multiplayer and that they lack graphics & sound and also rely on the user writing everything by hand.
OK, so this leaves what, exactly, that they have in common? They both have stories, I guess, but so do paperback novels - and the story in a MUD is sourced from a totally different place (the player) to the story in a VN (the writer).
eyerouge wrote: Now, imagine your favorite MUD. Do you believe anyonem that didn't know what a MUD was and who had never played a MUD before, would play it if all the options you had were pre-written and you could select them by pushing a button/number?
I believe that it would be so different a thing, that the comparison is meaningless. Sure, there would likely be someone, somewhere who would play it. Maybe a whole load of people (in fact, you could suggest that games like Planetarion are exactly this kind of thing, and they're popular enough). But I don't think it would be rational to call it a MUD anymore, because one of the basic elements of a MUD is user-creativity.
eyerouge wrote: The only difference is the input method and also the fact that all would be pre-written in a VN.
Hollywood movies offer better graphics and sound than a pen-and-paper tabletop session, the only difference is the lack of dice and the fact that a Hollywood movie is all pre-written. (that means I still think it's a bad comparison. ;-) )
eyerouge wrote: I claim that there is more than the freedom to type anything in a MUD that makes the MUD interesting. Yes, the freedom and possibilities are unique to the MUD:s, and a multi-VN would be very much less free. However, freedom vs non-freedom has strengths on both sides. What is more important is that the freedom alone doesn't explain why a MUD is worth playing.

The freedom combined with a lot of other factors make a MUD fun to play. Which are those factors? I maintain that one of them is the storytelling, the pre-written rooms and all other stuff that is around in the MUD world. I also claim that a MUD is a social activity and that that also brings something. Finally, I'm saying that a multi-VN is more or less very much like a MUD with pre-written player options, but, in a deluxe version... and something that still doesn't exist.
And I'm just saying that the way to represent something's MUD-ness is to take each of those factors as a scale between 0 (not at all) and 1 (exactly like a MUD) and multiply them together - if you take any factor down to zero (say, the freedom), then the entire result is 0, and thus whatever you have, its similarity to a MUD is zero, and therefore the MUD is totally irrelevant to any discussion about your new totally-not-a-MUD thing.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by Wintermoon »

Jake wrote:There's no universal truth, but there are trends. And personally, you are literally the first person I have ever heard claim that forced gaps in something they're reading are no problem at all, which suggests to me a trend towards people finding forced gaps irritating. And it's rarely worth betting against trends.
Text speed never bothers me when reading subtitles, since I have pretty animation to look at.

Come to think of it, Hourglass of Summer (the Hirameki Anime-play version) was a visual novel that ran at a fixed speed. It also had full voice acting (including all narration), and was synchronized to match the voice acting. The slow speed didn't particularly bother me since I had the voice acting to listen to.

Full voice acting provides a solution to the reading speed problem. I hereby declare this problem solved.
eyerouge wrote:MUD:s exist and they have many users. The main differences between a MUD and a VN is the fact that they're multiplayer and that they lack graphics & sound and also rely on the user writing everything by hand.
No, the difference is that one is a simulated world and the other is a story. A story told collaboratively with neither pictures nor sounds would still be a story, and therefore more similar to a visual novel than to a MUD. Likewise, a single-player (or completely non-interactive) simulated world with graphics and sound would still be a simulated world, and therefore more similar to a MUD than to a visual novel.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#42 Post by PyTom »

Wintermoon wrote:Come to think of it, Hourglass of Summer (the Hirameki Anime-play version) was a visual novel that ran at a fixed speed. It also had full voice acting (including all narration), and was synchronized to match the voice acting. The slow speed didn't particularly bother me since I had the voice acting to listen to.
I'll point out that it bothered me terribly. The only way I was able to play HoS was because I hacked VLC to show subtitles while playing at 4x normal speed. I suspect that the fixed speed was a big reason why the Animeplay DVD products were generally considered to be failures.

(And it's that experience that makes me somewhat wary about story-games where the user can't control presentation speed.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Wintermoon »

PyTom wrote:I'll point out that it bothered me terribly. The only way I was able to play HoS was because I hacked VLC to show subtitles while playing at 4x normal speed. I suspect that the fixed speed was a big reason why the Animeplay DVD products were generally considered to be failures.
I take it that at that speed you weren't trying to understand the voice acting. Would you have felt differently if the voice acting was in English? How about English voice acting without subtitles?

In a general sense, there is no way to get the pacing right for everybody. However, fixed pacing media such as roller coasters, music, movies and audio books still "work" for a vast majority of people. You just have to find something that matches your pace.

Jake
Support Hero

#44 Post by Jake »

Wintermoon wrote: Text speed never bothers me when reading subtitles, since I have pretty animation to look at.
It's a different medium - you're not there specifically for the reading. Text speed on road signs and billboards also never bothers me when I'm out driving, because I have the road and ten thousand idiots in trucks trying to kill me to pay attention to - but it doesn't demonstrate that I don't mind waiting for text.
Wintermoon wrote: Full voice acting provides a solution to the reading speed problem. I hereby declare this problem solved.
Again, too much unwarranted jumping from the specific to the general. You can only declare the problem definitely solved for the extremely small subset of users which consists of you alone. :P

I've never tried Hourglass of Summer, but after testing was over I certainly skipped ahead of the voice track in Senior Year because - well, I'd already read the text, I didn't need someone to read it to me. No disrespect intended to the voice actresses, but yes - waiting for them to finish would have been tedious. And it was, during the testing.

(As it goes, I expect that if I was trying to learn Japanese, I'd have no problem listening to something like Hourglass of Summer - but the point wouldn't be to entertain myself, it would be to learn something; I'd be listening for a totally different reason, I'd actually be getting something out of that time, so it wouldn't feel pointless.)

eyerouge wrote:MUD:s exist and they have many users. The main differences between a MUD and a VN is the fact that they're multiplayer and that they lack graphics & sound and also rely on the user writing everything by hand.
No, the difference is that one is a simulated world and the other is a story. A story told collaboratively with neither pictures nor sounds would still be a story, and therefore more similar to a visual novel than to a MUD. Likewise, a single-player (or completely non-interactive) simulated world with graphics and sound would still be a simulated world, and therefore more similar to a MUD than to a visual novel.[/quote]

Sethaniel
Regular

#45 Post by Sethaniel »

Hey, I'm sorry I don't have time to go back and copy all the relevant quotes, but here's my two cents on a couple of issues.

Reading Speed:

I'm definitely on the "hate to wait" side. Any game with voice acting had better have subtitles, and let me skip ahead once I'm done reading. I dislike any game mechanic that forces me to put up with slow scrolling text, or makes me wait to hear all the voice acting. However, this seems like a small issue overall in the multi-player VN discussion.

The Larger Issue:

(Again, apologies for not having the relevant texts at hand.) The proposed system of multiplayer VN, in my understanding, is one wherein all the possible choices for both sides have been preprogrammed by the author. To me, this doesn't seem all that different from using random.choice to make one "player's" selections. Could someone explain why/how (in terms of story structure or enjoyment) having another person choose from a list is better than having the computer make a random selection?

side note: For me, the fun of playing an RPG with another person is in the shared creation of a story. It's in the unexpected plot developments, the ability to leave the "main story" to forge your own path, the way in which a insignificant flavor-text character can become a hero, just because one of the protagonists liked their voice, and asked them to come along on the adventure.